Inconsistent HDMI Audio? (4K Firestick)

Dreakon13

Dreakon13

This isn't necessarily Emby related, though I'm primarily using Emby these days so it's where I'm seeing it the most... Amazon support were next level useless, so I'll throw it down here.

I recently got a 4K Firestick and I'm pretty happy with it.  One issue I'm running into is that over time, the audio will start to cut out and eventually go silent completely.  Sometimes I can watch several movies in a row and it's fine, other times the audio starts to cut out within minutes of even sitting on the Firestick home screen.

The answer is fairly simple, if I just change it from HDMI1 to HDMI2 on my TV, then back to HDMI1, the audio is fine again.  Don't even need to unplug anything or turn the TV off.  But it's frustrating.  Breaks the immersion in a good movie, and makes it tough to show off my awesome media server setup to friends and family never knowing if/when the audio will cut out. 😄

I'm thinking it's the TV, since I don't THINK it's happening on my other TV with the 4K Firestick (though that's in my bedroom and I never watch more than 15-30mins at a time).  And my Xbox One used to have similar issues when this TV used to be in my office... though the other consoles were okay, and my Roku was working fine on this TV as well before the Firestick... so maybe it's a combination of the TV and these particular HDMI-in devices?  I've tried both HDMI ports on this TV, I've tried a different Firestick, same issues.

Anyone ever run into this sort of thing before?  If there's something I can do to correct it, I'd be very happy lol... but I'd even take some sort of confirmation that the TV or the Firestick is to blame.

Edited by Dreakon13

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

And my Xbox One used to have similar issues when this TV used to be in my office

That would really indicate there is some problem with the TV or the input IMO.

Dreakon13
8 hours ago, ebr said:

That would really indicate there is some problem with the TV or the input IMO.

Is it weird that the Roku Ultra never had this problem on this TV though? And that it's happening on both HDMI ports?

Edited by Dreakon13

17 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Is it weird that the Roku Ultra never had this problem on this TV though? And that it's happening on both HDMI ports?

Hi, I'm not sure. I've never heard of it either. Did you find anything?

mastrmind11

if you tried a different stick with the same result, then it's pretty safe to assume it's the tv or a combination of the tv and whatever signal the stick is outputting.  do you only lose sound or the entire signal?  if the latter it might be an issue w/ the HDCP handshake the stick uses to validate itself with the tv, which is unfortunately not really fixable unless you want to spend some money.

Dreakon13
22 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, I'm not sure. I've never heard of it either. Did you find anything?

I haven't found any definitive solution, no.

4 hours ago, mastrmind11 said:

if you tried a different stick with the same result, then it's pretty safe to assume it's the tv or a combination of the tv and whatever signal the stick is outputting.  do you only lose sound or the entire signal?  if the latter it might be an issue w/ the HDCP handshake the stick uses to validate itself with the tv, which is unfortunately not really fixable unless you want to spend some money.

I agree, that it's either the TV or some combination of the TV and the specific device.  I don't really know enough about this to say why it might be the device though if other devices (like the Roku) seem to work.  It's just the sound that cuts out, not the entire signal, and changing HDMI input on the TV and changing it back fixes it.

In all likelihood, I'll probably replace the TV at some point in the future anyways.  So I can live with it until then.  The Roku had a share of it's own issues with recent firmware updates so unfortunately I can't really go back to it, and the Firestick is a substantial improvement this issue aside.

Edited by Dreakon13

Did you try switching your 2 sticks to see if the problem stays with the TV?  Kinds of sounds like it if this also happened with the xbox.