update to 4.6.2.0 messed up compilation albums

Oceanus
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Oceanus

Hi,

i really like all the improvements made in 4.6 and the fix of duplicate entrys in recently played songs in 4.6.2.0 works fine. But after the update i had a ton of new albums in my music. It seems like if there is an album with different artist, there is now an album for every combination of these artist and the album. For example, there is a movie soundtrack with ten different songs by ten different artist. Before the update to 4.6.2.0 this was shown in emby as a single album. Now it is shown as ten different albums each containing just a single song.

• Solution

Hi, have you checked the embedded information within your audio files? Each track of an album needs to be tagged consistently with the same album and albumartist values.

You can easily correct this with a tool like Picard and then run a library scan in Emby Server.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Oceanus

I checked the tags, they share the same album name, but as they are compilation albums, like a soundtrack or the charts of a specific year, they do not have a albumartist tag as there is no album artist. It worked fine before the 4.6.2.0 and i don't think there is a better way to tag them. It is not feasible to tag a hundreds artists in the albumartist tag if you have the top 100 charts of year as album. 

7 minutes ago, Oceanus said:

they are compilation albums, like a soundtrack or the charts of a specific year, they do not have a albumartist tag as there is no album artist

Hi.  In this case you can just tag the AlbumArtist as "Various Artists" (or anything, really, as long as it is the same).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Oceanus

Why is there a difference between a missing albumartist tag and an albumartist tag "Various Artist"? It means the same. Couldn't emby just support both? It would take me years to retag all the music.

Maisy

In previous to 4.6 compilation albums could have each artist track "artist" and "album" artist same as each other, but unique to each track and be shows under same album.

To get that working now in 4.6 you do have to have 'Various Artists' as "Album Artist" in each track, or your choice of how to name that field, but "Various Artists" is pretty normal for that field.

Most of the time if you rip something like that it will be names from online sources like that. I used to always name each track and edit metadata to reflect each artist only on each track, but I don't have a lot of that music so it's not so hard for me to edit it. I don't like Picard personally because it links songs to what it wants to, like complete different album the songs came from that I don't own and don't want my stuff tagged with a ten other all different albums instead of the one compilation album in question.

There are other tools out there to help with internal tag bulk naming, mp3tag (english page) is one such tool.

52 minutes ago, Oceanus said:

Why is there a difference between a missing albumartist tag and an albumartist tag "Various Artist"? It means the same. Couldn't emby just support both? It would take me years to retag all the music.

You can easily automate this with Picard 

Oceanus

Some years ago i had to decide whether i tag "Various Artists" on compilation albums or not. As emby supported not to tag albumartist and see the album anyway, listing all artists tags comma separated as artists below the album name, i went this way as i preferred it. Is there any reason you decided to no longer support it? 

1 hour ago, Oceanus said:

Some years ago i had to decide whether i tag "Various Artists" on compilation albums or not. As emby supported not to tag albumartist and see the album anyway, listing all artists tags comma separated as artists below the album name, i went this way as i preferred it. Is there any reason you decided to no longer support it? 

What we did before was not really industry standard. In order to truly support a tag driven display, this was a change that had to be made.

Deathsquirrel

Fixing this in MP3Tag will take just a few minutes.  Open all the albums in question in MP3Tag.  Select all the tracks with no Album Artist value.  Put 'Various Artists' or 'Compilation Album' or something like that in the Album Artist field and save.  After a library scan the problem will be solved.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Oceanus

You assume that i have write access to all the files, which is not the case. Some years ago emby had problems with deleting files the users don't want to and i decided to move all the files to a read only storage. To tag them i would need to transfer hundreds of thousands of files over the internet, tag them and transfer them again. I doubt that would take only a few minutes.

I still don't get why emby just can't handle a missing albumartist tag like a albumartist tag reading "Various Artists", it would still be fully tag driven.

Using read only cloud storage does make editing files harder. You should only need to edit the compilation albums.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Mixeur

Hello,
I have same problem and came accross this topic with Google.
And I have put "Artistes divers" (french translation for Various artists) to all the tracks of all compilations. Also checked the tag "part of a compilation", but still same issue.
Issue is not with all compilation but it is with almost all.
Previously working OK, but not anymore...

2021-08-04 17_17_37-Musique.png

Edited by Mixeur

What exactly is wrong?

This is showing the different artists of the compilations which is how the media is tagged.