no channel logo in widget

horstepipe

horstepipe

Hello

I'm just about to set up iptv within Emby.

Now I'm stuck with the "just running" widget. It looks really bad as there are no logos for the channels there.

I'm wondering how to get logos in that format at all (like a dvd box). I already tried adding a picture to every item type within Emby for a channel, but still there doesn't show up anything. See screenshots.

logos1.PNG

logos2.PNG

Hi, those boxes are for the programs, not the channels. Since you have no program images, that's why you see the icons.

But we can look at improving this and use the channel icon in this situation. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

horstepipe

I‘m wondering, where and how to get program images? Wouldn’t this be a huge task as there a lots of programs?

Edited by horstepipe

1 hour ago, horstepipe said:

I‘m wondering, where and how to get program images? Wouldn’t this be a huge task as there a lots of programs?

That comes from your guide data that you have configured.

horstepipe
On 6/4/2021 at 7:49 PM, Luke said:

That comes from your guide data that you have configured.

Sure but I mean, which guide provider would do that? Wouldn’t it have to create pictures for basically EVERY program that exists? I‘m wondering how this should be possible. 

3 hours ago, horstepipe said:

Sure but I mean, which guide provider would do that? Wouldn’t it have to create pictures for basically EVERY program that exists? I‘m wondering how this should be possible. 

Whichever one you added in Live TV setup. Which one did you add?

Hi, What EPG provider are you using is what we need to know?

horstepipe

There channels are German so unfortunately there is no „official“ provider. 

But if being used in Emby the guide is being loaded from some source.  It is this source that needs to supply the images.

horstepipe

Yes I am aware. You got me wrong. 
I‘m okay that my provider doesn’t provide these images. I was just wondering how any provider would do that without having a team - like Netflix does -  in their basement to do anything else then capturing these show/movie/ else images 🙂

Edited by horstepipe

The company we get our data from is a large multi-million dollar company or division of one (hard to keep track of this anymore) but has the resources to do this type of thing with a large staff from sales to support to programming & hosting.  How they internally do this or where they get their graphics from is likely a closely guarded secret but I'm sure they have contract(s) in place with other companies for this type of thing.

• Thanks 1

horstepipe
11 hours ago, cayars said:

The company we get our data from is a large multi-million dollar company or division of one (hard to keep track of this anymore) but has the resources to do this type of thing with a large staff from sales to support to programming & hosting.  How they internally do this or where they get their graphics from is likely a closely guarded secret but I'm sure they have contract(s) in place with other companies for this type of thing.

guess there isn't german channel guide on the horizon by them?

They (company we get the EPG from) have guide data for other countries available but it's expensive. It's likely just not possible to license this data and distribute it as part of Emby Premiere.  When you think about it, the guide data could easily cost more than a lifetime Premiere does after a few years of use since it's ongoing expense.

This is just my personal thoughts on this, but I'd love to see Emby rollout an EPG service that could be used worldwide (or atleast all the countries available) for a monthly/yearly price.  This would bring the convenience of Emby Guide Data to the worldwide masses (just works) without having to use 3rd party suppliers and likely would be priced similar to 3rd party offerings but would just work easily as it's built in. Of course you keep XML guide data as an option as well for those who already have their own sourced guides.

Of course saying the above vs actually implementing it is two different things, if even contractually allowed. :)
It would be interesting to know how many people would be interested in something like this or what people thought about it, but this thread really isn't the place to discuss it.

pünktchen
4 hours ago, horstepipe said:

guess there isn't german channel guide on the horizon by them?

SchedulesDirect has images and provides the data from that big company also for german channels. You can easily create an xmltv file with image urls in it with epg123.

• Thanks 1

Technically, that could be done but they are asking users not to use their data with any platforms they don't authorize.

• 2 months later...
horstepipe

Soo @ebr any chance getting this into current beta cycle for Android TV / FireOS?
This is Emby for Windows (the way I want it to be)

winscreen.jpg.71d8558f2c83190dd0e03f8193050c42.jpg

This is Emby on AndroidTV (Shield) (unlovely)

androidtvscreen.jpg.43f67e2d41c678106d1590fe6efac99b.jpg

Those two screen shots are from different places in the interface.  One is inside a library and the other is on the home screen.   But, exactly what guide data are we talking about here?

horstepipe
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Those two screen shots are from different places in the interface.  One is inside a library and the other is on the home screen.   But, exactly what guide data are we talking about here?

Windows does a fallback to channel icons if there's no show icon available. Which is the case for epg which is not provided by Emby directly (non US).

Edited by horstepipe

• 1 month later...
horstepipe

@ebrany update on this? I’m just noticing that it is fine on Android app, too. It is just the Android tv app where channe icons are not shown at “just airing” widget.

I get channel logos for items without program data but will have to look into the case where there is program data but no program image.

image.png

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
horstepipe

Now as this has been added since awhile, would you please also add it to search results? Currently you need to go on the channel info to see which channel it actually is.

1 hour ago, horstepipe said:

Now as this has been added since awhile, would you please also add it to search results? Currently you need to go on the channel info to see which channel it actually is.

Hi, add what to search results exactly?

horstepipe

if you search for a program, the resulted channels do not have the channel icon. (Guess they'd have the program icon if there was one but as discussed it isn't available for German content). So that fallback should also be implemented here.

edit: On Android TV the view for programs is generally not optimal in my opinion, as programs mostly have a longer title and there's just very little space for the title (sorry I don't find an easy way getting a screenshot from the shield). So in most times you just see part of it. Also I don't really understand the order how results are shown for programs 🙂

channelicons.png

Edited by horstepipe

13 hours ago, horstepipe said:

if you search for a program, the resulted channels do not have the channel icon. (Guess they'd have the program icon if there was one but as discussed it isn't available for German content). So that fallback should also be implemented here.

edit: On Android TV the view for programs is generally not optimal in my opinion, as programs mostly have a longer title and there's just very little space for the title (sorry I don't find an easy way getting a screenshot from the shield). So in most times you just see part of it. Also I don't really understand the order how results are shown for programs 🙂

channelicons.png

Sorting is based primarily on matching the name to the search text.