Bug in Subtitles when using language "Turkish" on Samsung Tizen TV

isikemre

isikemre

Hello Emby-Community,

After I built my library and started watching videos (MKV), I noticed that when I use Turkish subtitles (stored externally), I get to see a different font.
However, if I take this file, e.g. "som-nice-video.tur.ass", and copy it to "some-nice-video.ger.ass" and then change change my video-player to use the "German" subtitle, I see a different font.
I am sure that the German version of the subtitle loads the correct ASS styles.
There is also a English Subtitle but it's embedded in the MKV File. But I am not using it. Btw. It shows the same font as the German one. The only weird one is "Turkish".

Here you can see, that both subtitle files are the same. (MD5SUM) 
image.png.e41e84a1b42dee27e658037894dff70c.png

I already cleared the cache, reinstalled the client on my Samsung TV, restarted the EmbyServer, restarted the Host (My PC), restarted the Samsung TV.
But nothing changed.

I should also mention that the Turkish version takes 5x longer to load and thus no subtitles are displayed for the first 5-10 seconds, while the "German" version takes 1 second to load.
I also noticed that when I use the Turkish version again, italic texts are also loaded with the exact time as in the beginning (5-10 seconds).
With the "German" version italics are displayed immediately no loading times.

I guess "libass" uses the default woff2 font for the others. And with the turkish one something else.
In the MKV file there is an Open Sans SemiBold.tff file as attachment, but the ASS subtitle file does not refer to this font but to another one (Arial).

How can this logically happen :D ? 

Thanks!

SamES
2 hours ago, isikemre said:

I guess "libass" uses the default woff2 font for the others. And with the turkish one something else.

That's correct.  Can you attach a copy of your tur.ass file?  Which font do you think it should be using?  

Edit: Actually, it will be using our subfont.woff2

Edited by SamES

SamES

So just confirming, it's not that the subtitles are drawn incorrectly, or are unreadable, it's just that the font style is different to other languages (and a bit smaller).  Correct?

@Luke, is there any reason why we use the externally loaded font for Turkish language for ass fonts?  They appear to render fine (and load quicker) wit the internal font.  

49 minutes ago, SamES said:

So just confirming, it's not that the subtitles are drawn incorrectly, or are unreadable, it's just that the font style is different to other languages (and a bit smaller).  Correct?

@Luke, is there any reason why we use the externally loaded font for Turkish language for ass fonts?  They appear to render fine (and load quicker) wit the internal font.  

When I tested there must have been some characters that didn't render correctly.

isikemre

Yes, here some images for you on my Samsung TV.
I found out that on the Web Client the behaivor is the same and libass (I think you are using  "JavascriptSubtitlesOctopus") logs that on the "ger.ass" file libass using the default font, but on the "tur.ass" which refers to  the same "Samsung One UI" Font it does not log something like that.

FYI: I don't care If "Samsung One UI" is not there "Arial" didn't worked for me too, I am happy with the internal font but it just don't work with the "tur.ass" one.

This is one the "tur.ass" one!

turkish.thumb.jpg.71944b4367bca34e487d99f711cb7973.jpg

Here the subtitle menu:

sub-menu.thumb.jpg.18b12d1c0cf309b0e7490cda19bc5868.jpg

Switching back to German (which is the same file just renamed to ger.ass) looks like that:

german.thumb.jpg.f6086193736492bd096891d5d3a19613.jpg

Here the output of the console on the web client:

image.thumb.png.d1511c25112b02d92f3fe3ce9df10a67.png

image.png.40d1d3621d4d2f07ee11c10ade5868bc.png

Track 3 = German.ass
Track 4 = Turkish.ass

plugin.js?v=4.6.2.0:1 Setting new text track index to: 3
subtitles-octopus.js?v=4.6.2.0:1 WebAssembly support detected: yes
subtitles-octopus-worker.js:1 wasm streaming compile failed: TypeError: Failed to execute 'compile' on 'WebAssembly': An argument must be provided, which must be a Response or Promise<Response> object
Module.printErr @ VM3 subtitles-octopus-worker.js:1
(anonymous) @ VM3 subtitles-octopus-worker.js:1
Promise.then (async)
Promise.then (async)
instantiateAsync @ VM3 subtitles-octopus-worker.js:1
createWasm @ VM3 subtitles-octopus-worker.js:1
subtitles-octopus-worker.js:1 falling back to ArrayBuffer instantiation
Module.printErr @ VM3 subtitles-octopus-worker.js:1
Promise.then (async)
Promise.then (async)
instantiateAsync @ VM3 subtitles-octopus-worker.js:1
createWasm @ VM3 subtitles-octopus-worker.js:1
subtitles-octopus-worker.js:1 warning: Browser does not support creating object URLs. Built-in browser image decoding will not be available.
subtitles-octopus-worker.js:1 libass: fontselect: Using default font: (Samsung One UI, 400, 0) -> /assets/default.woff2, 0, (none)
plugin.js?v=4.6.2.0:1 Setting new text track index to: 4
subtitles-octopus.js?v=4.6.2.0:1 WebAssembly support detected: yes
subtitles-octopus-worker.js:1 wasm streaming compile failed: TypeError: Failed to execute 'compile' on 'WebAssembly': An argument must be provided, which must be a Response or Promise<Response> object
Module.printErr @ subtitles-octopus-worker.js:1
(anonymous) @ subtitles-octopus-worker.js:1
Promise.then (async)
Promise.then (async)
instantiateAsync @ subtitles-octopus-worker.js:1
createWasm @ subtitles-octopus-worker.js:1
subtitles-octopus-worker.js:1 falling back to ArrayBuffer instantiation
Module.printErr @ subtitles-octopus-worker.js:1
Promise.then (async)
Promise.then (async)
instantiateAsync @ subtitles-octopus-worker.js:1
createWasm @ subtitles-octopus-worker.js:1
subtitles-octopus-worker.js:1 warning: Browser does not support creating object URLs. Built-in browser image decoding will not be available.

This was another episode but every episode is the same.
image.png.01fbb3b8267f90dcb8b98ad71586e8c4.png

image.png.e89a107b0cac47f94f8944a7e423c41b.png

Edited by isikemre

SamES

The first three images in the last post aren’t loading, can you please edit the post and fix it. I’m curious as to what you are seeing. Thanks. 

Edited by SamES

SamES
8 hours ago, Luke said:

When I tested there must have been some characters that didn't render correctly.

Thanks. Do you have a standard test string? Maybe the internal font has been updated and this is no longer a problem

• 2 weeks later...
isikemre

Is there any update for this bug?
Currently I can watch my series by changing the filename to ."ger.ass", everything is fine.
But it's still a complicated/strange bug.

SamES

@Luke

On 07/06/2021 at 09:00, SamES said:

Do you have a standard test string? Maybe the internal font has been updated and this is no longer a problem

• 1 month later...