Music - an overview/help please

grizlyadams

grizlyadams

Ok,  so I've used emby from way back when it was a windows media server plugin - but I've never used it for music until now.

I've decided to drop my spotify account and use emby instead. I uploaded all my music to the music directory and let emby scan it and sort out genres etc.

All I can say is what a bloody mess! 

I have 1 "unknown" genre which contains a single album/song, "Still Crazy After all these years/%0 Ways to Leave Your Lover" - listed as David bowie! If I serch David Bowie - that album is listed as his!

also have genres titled 0 through 143

there are a whole load of genre titles with often album images that bear no relevance whatsoever to the actual songs in the genre playlist

- example "Dub Techno" has a title cover of  The Lion King!  
then in the synopsis of the genre it refers to Savage Garden's debut album!
The title of the playlist is "Melon Collie And The Infinite Sadness (Deluxe Edition"!
It has 131 songs in the genre - including "1979" by the Smashing Pumpkins, Big Big World by Emilia, Circle of life from the Lion King by Elton John - now, I know that genres sometime have blurred definitions but there i no way that those three songs mentioned are "Dub Techno" 

the genre "Dub Techno" appears to have listed everything in the "All Out 90s" directory.

So - what have I done wrong and how do i fix the complete mess that emby has made of reading the music directory. 

My music is all listed in the following directory/file structure

root folder (music)
   L__artist
         |
         L__album
                    |
                    L__ track 1
                    L__ track 2
                    L__ track 3
                    L__ track 4 etc

is that the wrong way to list it?

Is there a "how to" or best practices for best results for emby and music?

Where does emby get its "genre" data from?

thanks

Edited by grizlyadams
spelling/gramar

roaku

Emby is reading the tags from your music files to determine title, album, artist, genre, etc.

If your tags aren't correct, there's no way Emby can be.

MusicBrainz Picard and mp3tag make correcting your tags pretty painless, but it can still take some time.

• Like 1

vdatanet
15 minutes ago, grizlyadams said:

Is there a "how to" or best practices for best results for emby and music?

Music is fully tag driven not tied to folders. So for better results, music must be correctly tagged.

• Like 1

grizlyadams
19 minutes ago, roaku said:

Emby is reading the tags from your music files to determine title, album, artist, genre, etc.

If your tags aren't correct, there's no way Emby can be.

MusicBrainz Picard and mp3tag make correcting your tags pretty painless, but it can still take some time.

oof - this may take some time. Picard look s quite good though... thanks for the pointer. Still some emby non-logical (to me) things for me to work out in terms of using it for music.

• 3 weeks later...
Baenwort

If you don't want to retag everything and ALLL your music is perfectly arranged in Emby support folder structures you can go into the music libraries settings and change the first part about music folder structure to being perfectly done in the style you have done. 

image.thumb.png.8053a6b3887b863fc8895997a03b35e2.png

BUT YOUR FOLDERS MUST BE PERFECT! As if you change that Emby won't use the mp3 tags at all.

image.png

As if you change that Emby won't use the mp3 tags at all.

Hi, this is not correct. Emby still uses embedded tags no matter which option you select. The structured options are there to help Emby locate local artwork files if you intend to use them. They do not impact tag reading, although they might in future updates to try and make the scanning more tolerant of poorly tagged files if you have a perfect folder structure.

So the problems you'll run into by configuring this incorrectly would be things like seeing the wrong artwork attached to albums, songs or artists, things like that. This was already a problem in 4.5, the difference is that 4.5 didn't allow you to control it, and it assumed you had perfect artist/album folders.

• Like 1

grizlyadams

thanks @Luke and @Baenwort. I will go thru the library with Picard/mp3tag - to be honest most of them have tags .

I'm struggling a bit with the use of Emby - it doesn't seem logical to me and for the life of me I can't make playlists outside of the painful way to do it in EMBY, for example if I create a playlist from Picard and place it in the playlist folder emby doesn't see it. I look at the emby created playlist and it's XML, but the the one I've created is m3u (vlc plays it fine).

I've put it in the same folder as the test playlist I created in emby 

\\<server>\appdata\EmbyServer\data\playlists\spot-90s-Accountic [playlist]\spot-90s-Accoustic.m3u

is there a way to import m3u lists?

Also - playback doesn't work the way I would think - if I go to the music and click on "songs" then click "shuffle" -its starts playing all the songs (presumably shuffled) and i can move between songs with the "next" button. However, if I choose "album" or "artist" and click shuffle, its plays one song only and i cannot move to the next song with the next button.

so I found the queue/playlist - but the only place where shuffle or "play all" adds all to the queue is "songs" all the rest only add one song or one album.

my emby server runs in a docker on UNRAID

Is there an idiots guide to music playback and management in emby?

thanks.

Edited by grizlyadams
correction

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 6:55 AM, grizlyadams said:

thanks @Luke and @Baenwort. I will go thru the library with Picard/mp3tag - to be honest most of them have tags .

I'm struggling a bit with the use of Emby - it doesn't seem logical to me and for the life of me I can't make playlists outside of the painful way to do it in EMBY, for example if I create a playlist from Picard and place it in the playlist folder emby doesn't see it. I look at the emby created playlist and it's XML, but the the one I've created is m3u (vlc plays it fine).

I've put it in the same folder as the test playlist I created in emby 

\\<server>\appdata\EmbyServer\data\playlists\spot-90s-Accountic [playlist]\spot-90s-Accoustic.m3u

is there a way to import m3u lists?

Also - playback doesn't work the way I would think - if I go to the music and click on "songs" then click "shuffle" -its starts playing all the songs (presumably shuffled) and i can move between songs with the "next" button. However, if I choose "album" or "artist" and click shuffle, its plays one song only and i cannot move to the next song with the next button.

so I found the queue/playlist - but the only place where shuffle or "play all" adds all to the queue is "songs" all the rest only add one song or one album.

my emby server runs in a docker on UNRAID

Is there an idiots guide to music playback and management in emby?

thanks.

Don't put your music playlists in with Emby's playlists folder.  

Instead put the m3u playlist in with your music files and Emby will import it for you.
If you use fully qualified file names in the m3u file these m3u playlists can reside in any folder.  I have a "Playlist" folder in my music that I keep these in.

Let us know if this helps.

What app are you using with the shuffle problem you described?

• 1 month later...