New User

KerriKEmby

KerriKEmby

Hello. I'm net to Emby after Plex proved too frustrating and the people running it aren't much help. I have a couple of questions:

Is there a way to turn off auto-generated Collections? It's kinda ridiculous to have dozens of collections created whether I want them or not. If not, is there a way to delete them all instead of going through them one at a time?

Is it possible to hide the song list under individual artists? I'd rather just see the albums. Also is it possible to change the sort order for albums listed under an artist?

Thanks.

Happy2Play

Welcome

3 minutes ago, KerriKEmby said:

Is there a way to turn off auto-generated Collections? It's kinda ridiculous to have dozens of collections created whether I want them or not. If not, is there a way to delete them all instead of going through them one at a time?

What is your Library option set to?  But if your item metadata already have <set> tags then Emby will always read them.  There is currently no bulk select/select all option, so you have to multi-select clicking each one.

6 minutes ago, KerriKEmby said:

Is it possible to hide the song list under individual artists? I'd rather just see the albums. Also is it possible to change the sort order for albums listed under an artist?

There is no option to for hiding Songs row or album order.  What order would you prefer as it was request to be set to year descending?

KerriKEmby

I'd like the albums in ascending release order, not descending. I don't understand why such simple user preferences don't exist. This is why I decided to quit using Plex.

As for Collections, I have no idea what you're asking me.

14 minutes ago, KerriKEmby said:

I'd like the albums in ascending release order, not descending. I don't understand why such simple user preferences don't exist. This is why I decided to quit using Plex.

HI, we have lots of sorting options all over our interface, but admittedly, not on that particular list. It's just something we haven't gotten to yet but I think it would be a good idea to have. Thanks for the feedback.

MBSki
6 minutes ago, KerriKEmby said:

So no one is going to help me with Collections? 

There's an option in each library to enable or disable auto creation of collections.

image.png.f05c6c1972718031c61a4bbf33be7e6d.png

KerriKEmby
4 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

There's an option in each library to enable or disable auto creation of collections.

image.png.f05c6c1972718031c61a4bbf33be7e6d.png

That's a poorly worded and labeled setting. How do I delete the collections already created, including the Collections Library?

It's actually well worded for Emby admins that have been using Emby and just upgraded from 4.5 to 4.6+.
In the near future we could maybe change this wording a bit after most people get upgraded.  But even then this does make sense in "Emby Speak". :)

To delete collections already created you can multi-select and then delete.

Hover over the first collection and select the top left circle, then you can click numerious other collections.
You will notice there is a 3 dot menu top right which has a delete menu option.

image.png.9264b06adfcaf79d7bd6600e0014c803.png

arrbee99

Would be good if shift-click, ctrl-click or ctrl-a worked though.

KerriKEmby
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

It's actually well worded for Emby admins that have been using Emby and just upgraded from 4.5 to 4.6+.
In the near future we could maybe change this wording a bit after most people get upgraded.  But even then this does make sense in "Emby Speak". :)

To delete collections already created you can multi-select and then delete.

Hover over the first collection and select the top left circle, then you can click numerious other collections.
You will notice there is a 3 dot menu top right which has a delete menu option.

I thought maybe the app was meant for anyone to use, not just Emby employees.

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, KerriKEmby said:

I thought maybe the app was meant for anyone to use, not just Emby employees.

You would be the Emby admin.

KerriKEmby

I decided to look into Emby because the Plex home screen is a buggy mess, but given the display restrictions and confusing wording with Emby, Plex doesn't look so bad. I can sort albums different ways and hide the song list, and it didn't create a bunch of unwanted collections.  By the way, since you have to create a Library before you can edit the settings, exactly how are users supposed to avoid having automatic collections created?

Thanks anyway, but I'll stick with Plex and hope they fix that one minor issue.

By the way, since you have to create a Library before you can edit the settings

Hi, you don't. When you create the library you get the same dialog of options and you have an opportunity to disable it there.

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, KerriKEmby said:

By the way, since you have to create a Library before you can edit the settings, exactly how are users supposed to avoid having automatic collections created?

True but if your metadata already has the information to create a Collection Emby will honor that as that is the only way to honor custom made collections also.

So the question would be does your item metadata already have the <set> tag in it?  This is why a manual delete is require to remove that tag from item metadata to prevent them from being created again.

5 minutes ago, KerriKEmby said:

Sorry to hear that but from as many users that have migrated from there would disagree. 

MBSki
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, you don't. When you create the library you get the same dialog of options and you have an opportunity to disable it there.

I think there's a bug though. The option isn't always available. This is a tv show library, but the movies library has the option.image.png.504c03e52116ba6cfa117295e0b3964f.png

Happy2Play
Just now, mbarylski said:

I think there's a bug though. The option isn't always available. This is a tv show library, but the movies library has the option.image.png.504c03e52116ba6cfa117295e0b3964f.png

And only you can make a Collection from TV items as Emby never will.  Unless you have already do to items having a <set> tag.  So to me this is irrelevant.

MBSki
Just now, Happy2Play said:

And only you can make a Collection from TV items as Emby never will.  Unless you have already do to items having a <set> tag.  So to me this is irrelevant.

I didn't know that, thanks. Why is the option there then?

MBSki
10 minutes ago, KerriKEmby said:

Emby does take a bit of getting used to. But, it's got more features than Plex so for me that's what's most important. Depends what you're looking for though. If you want a clean and simple UI, maybe Plex. If you want granular configuration and a forum of users and devs that listen and respond, Emby might be the right server for you.

• Like 1

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, mbarylski said:

I didn't know that, thanks. Why is the option there then?

• Thanks 1

But if they were manually created then why the minimal number?
Kind of doesn't make sense for TV Shows.

I mean, if I create a single item manual collection then thats on me. :)

• Agree 1

justinrh
23 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

So the question would be does your item metadata already have the <set> tag in it?

@Happy2Play Where is this "<set> tag"?  What is this "<set> tag"?  How do I see this "<set> tag"?  I think that is partly what the OP was asking about.  I also have know idea what you are talking about 😮

Happy2Play
17 minutes ago, justinrh said:

@Happy2Play Where is this "<set> tag"?  What is this "<set> tag"?  How do I see this "<set> tag"?  I think that is partly what the OP was asking about.  I also have know idea what you are talking about 😮

Movie metadata ie the items that are in a collection, each items nfo file ie metadata.

Each movie in Ouija  has a set tag/node, so this tag/node in the media metadata makes the collection.

<set>Ouija Collection</set>

So if your items already have set tag/node it will make a collection.

justinrh
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Movie metadata ie the items that are in a collection, each items nfo file ie metadata.

Each movie in Ouija  has a set tag/node, so this tag/node in the media metadata makes the collection.

OK.  That kind of information could be helpful to a 'new user', along with details of where to find the metadata and how to get the info out of it.  😉

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, justinrh said:

OK.  That kind of information could be helpful to a 'new user', along with details of where to find the metadata and how to get the info out of it.  😉

But every user/admin should know whether they are adding media to Emby with existing metadata (nfo/xml) or not.  

But yes this new feature will read that existing metadata and if <set> is provided it will be used.