Installing Emby Server and Client on Android Box

GeorgeCalli

GeorgeCalli

Hi. I'm a newbie to Emby and need to clarify a few points please.

1. If I install the Emby Server on the Android Box, do I have to also install the Client if I want to play from the Android Box?
  2. Once the Emby Server is enabled on the Android Box and all the media on a HDD is attached via USB cable, can I then add media to the HDD attached to the Android box from the PC?
  3. To play on the LG TVs, must I then download the app on each TV?
  4. All are connected to my home network - will this setup work?

Thanks for the help.

Appreciated.

Hi,

1 yes
2 depends on the android box. The Shield TV for example will allow you to mount the USB drive and remotely connect to it.  My other Android boxes will not allow this.
3 yes
4 yes it can work but running Emby Server on Android would not be my first choice.  If at all possibe install on a PC as it's far more flexible and won't have I/O limitations like most android boxes.

GeorgeCalli

Thanks for the info. I will look into it further and once sorted will provide feedback. 

I have a H96Pro+. Does anyone perhaps know if it will allow me to mount the USB HDD and connect to it remotely (on same network)?

Thanks once again. 

I tried Googling this but didn't find anything.

I don't know how many people have this device running Emby Server on it. Then using USB drives attached vs network storage.

Likely, you will have to try it yourself to see what options are available.  You may be able to get this kind of info on their support forums as well.

GeorgeCalli

Hi.

I actually got the idea from the appended link and thought it would be a good idea.

Your thoughts on the matter will be appreciated.

We haven't tried this box ourselves but I'd be curious to know of your results if you end up trying it.

GeorgeCalli

It will be a pleasure getting back to you with feedback once I try it in a couple of weeks - time constraints unfortunately. 

I first need to familiarise myself on the Emby server and client Android installation before I give it a try. 

• 9 months later...
GeorgeCalli

Hi All

Some feedback.

Loaded and activated the Emby Server on my Android Media Box. Manage this via the Web portal and activated 2 users on 2x LG TV's using the Emby app.

The storage HDD with media is connected to my Netgear R7000 Router's Rapidshare, and added this to the Windows PC as a Network location.

Everything works seamlessly. I'm extremely impressed with Emby. Even though I'm a novice in this type of setup, Emby makes it easy to install and configure.

Thanks to everybody.

• Thanks 1

GeorgeCalli

Hi Guys.

Need some help please.

As mentioned, my Emby server is on my Android Media Box.

On the Android Box, I downloaded an Android app: Total Greek Live TV & Radio enabling us to watch various Greek TV channels.

(I had tried MU3, but wasn't successful hence I resorted to using Total Greek which provides working channels and a great EPG)

Question to my learned friends: Is there perhaps a way that the Users can access Total Greek Live TV & Radio when it is streaming on Android Box?

i.e. Would love to be able to watch it on the other TV's on network using Emby app and not only on the TV where the Android Box is connected to.

If yes, how would I do that?

Your assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Stay safe

7 hours ago, GeorgeCalli said:

Hi Guys.

Need some help please.

As mentioned, my Emby server is on my Android Media Box.

On the Android Box, I downloaded an Android app: Total Greek Live TV & Radio enabling us to watch various Greek TV channels.

(I had tried MU3, but wasn't successful hence I resorted to using Total Greek which provides working channels and a great EPG)

Question to my learned friends: Is there perhaps a way that the Users can access Total Greek Live TV & Radio when it is streaming on Android Box?

i.e. Would love to be able to watch it on the other TV's on network using Emby app and not only on the TV where the Android Box is connected to.

If yes, how would I do that?

Your assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Stay safe

HI, yes, have you installed Emby apps on your other devices that you'd like to play from?

https://emby.media/download

2 hours ago, GeorgeCalli said:

Hi. Thanks. 

Yes, I have installed Emby apps on the other devices. 

OK. You should be able to watch content from your Emby Server using those. Do you still have questions?

GeorgeCalli

Hi, Yes, I can watch content from my Libraries.

But unfortunately, my question hasn't been answered. Maybe, I didn't explain myself correctly. Let me try again.

On the Android Media Box:

1. I installed the Emby Server which works well.
  2. I installed Android app: Total Greek Live TV & Radio - also works

Emby apps were installed on other devices which allows me to play from my Libraries.

1. On the Android Media Box, I play the app Total Greek Live TV & Radio and watch various Greek Channels.

The Question: Is there a way that I can configure Emby Server to watch Total Greek Live TV & Radio that is playing on the Android Box on the OTHER devices with the Emby Apps?

(Total Greek is an App and not a MU3)

TV Source Setup does not detect my device - Android Media Box

Thanks

8 hours ago, GeorgeCalli said:

The Question: Is there a way that I can configure Emby Server to watch Total Greek Live TV & Radio that is playing on the Android Box on the OTHER devices with the Emby Apps?

(Total Greek is an App and not a MU3)

Hi.  No - not unless you can get that content into Emby somehow.  Emby cannot access other apps on the device.

GeorgeCalli

Pity. It would have been great if somehow it could be done. Emby's UI is so brilliant that one always wants to use it constantly.

Basically, need to make that app available on the network?

Unfortunately, as I'm an Emby novice, thought I'd ask, maybe there was an option...

Let's hope...

Maybe, a potential new feature for Emby?

Edited by GeorgeCalli