un8y - a WMC theme with a Windows 8 twist (and a template to create your own WMC theme)

keef

@@Nick's MCE - see my answer to when you first asked this question (but I need to edit that answer when I get home (perils of posting from phone...))

@@Lee - there are 3 EHS styles in Neo: Neo, Mercury and Venus. These are selectable from the Neo options (in MBC, click the spanner/wrench and Neo settings). The setting to change is called something like "EHS Style" - working from memory here...

• Like 1

Nick's MCE

@@Nick's MCE - see my answer to when you first asked this question (but I need to edit that answer when I get home (perils of posting from phone...))

@@Lee - there are 3 EHS styles in Neo: Neo, Mercury and Venus. These are selectable from the Neo options (in MBC, click the spanner/wrench and Neo settings). The setting to change is called something like "EHS Style" - working from memory here...

Thanks, actually I worked it out from the discussion about the WAV file for the clicking on the MCE home screen. I found the WAV file for the clicking and for the Welcome and then took them both into a free audio editor program and saved them at 50% volume, then just replaced the originals, worked perfectly. Thanks for the help!.

Glad you got it adjusted to your liking Nick - with un8y you can change just about anything you want!

AlwinHummels

@@AlwinHummels - do you have any screenshots of your "midnight" skin please?

Ehh sorry not for now because it will not run under Windows 8.1 when I'm at a Windows 8 or 7 machine I'll will make some screenshots. but you can also look at my Skydrive to see the pics  :P  I used.

See here

Edited by AlwinHummels
  • Like 1

Alwin, just a quick comment - do you have a TV tuner? i.e. do you ever see the red/green/blue/yellow teletext type buttons in WMC? You need to be careful with bulk recolouring - these TWOFOOT.CONTROL images need to retain some of their original colour.

Edited by keef

AlwinHummels

Alwin, just a quick comment - do you have a TV tuner? i.e. do you ever see the red/green/blue/yellow teletext type buttons in WMC? You need to be careful with bulk recolouring - these TWOFOOT.CONTROL images need to retain some of their original colour.

Sorry I have no TV Tunner so I never see those buttons  :P but witch pics we are exactly speaking of? All the TWOFOOT.CONTROL pics? Will have a look later.. 

Thanks for warning me 

CBers

Ehh sorry not for now because it will not run under Windows 8.1 when I'm at a Windows 8 or 7 machine I'll will make some screenshots. but you can also look at my Skydrive to see the pics  :P  I used.

See here

Thanks.

Hey guys i was a fan of MCS too and lost when i couldn't get it working on Win 8 ...but i found this guy the program does all that MCS did worth a look. (basic theme features free / paid upgrade unlocks other bits) (edit removed link to MCtoolbox) 527612e3691f6_mct1.jpg527612f5e7658_mct2.jpg

Edited by psmc

Ah, yes good old Media Center Reset Toolbox. 

Tried it before, didn't like it. It also doesn't have a very good reputation.  BUT even the most basic version (MCE RTB Themer) is now PAID.  OK, there is a 30 day trial - after which it won't work and Media Center will reset.

Media Center Themer does all I need.  Patchou will have a Windows 8.1 compatible version of MCT available soon (hopefully within a week) - I am not going to force people to paid options just to enable them to change WMC themes.  In my opinion, it's just not worth it.

Edited by keef

Spam? Do you accuse all your customers as fast ? ...So much for trying to be helpful.

This is a thread about a Media Center theme built for specific themer software.

Apologies if I misinterpreted your intentions in suggesting people move from a perfectly good free option to a paid option (which this Media Center theme won't work with). 

I have removed the spam reference in my earlier post, but I stand by everything else I said.

Look this might not seem much to yourself,  but as my post was in complete good faith I ask you remove your suggestion that i'm forcing anyone to switch to anything. I'm Not. Nor did i request people sign up. All my post was about was to suggest a themer for people using W8.1 as it worked for me when i moved to win 8 & mcs broke.. you know like a community should. I'll know better next time.

@@psmc, this is getting ridiculous...

I have not said anywhere you are forcing anyone to switch - the word I used was "suggesting", which I think is fair enough (it's the word you used yourself).  What I DID say is that "I (i.e. me, keef) am not going to force people to paid options just to enable them to change WMC themes", which again I think is fair enough.  I've re-read what I said, and I can't find any suggestion of mine to remove.

Your initial post made no reference to Windows 8.1, but specifically mentioned Windows 8.  Media Center Themer works fine with W8.  A W8.1 compatible version is on the way.

I responded to this post with my thoughts on Reset Toolbox, and it's relevance to un8y, which again I think is fair enough.  Given the applicability of your post to un8y, I erroneously made a suggestion of spam, which I apologised for, and removed the comment.

I have nothing against you promoting/advocating Reset Toolbox.  You are perfectly entitled to do so.  But please do it somewhere more relevant - feel free to create your own thread (and I promise I won't hijack it).

This thread is about a specific Media Center theme, created for a specific Media Center Themer.  Any discussion of an alternative themer with which this theme won't work with is not relevant in this thread.

I am not going to comment further on this matter, as I do not want this thread hijacked by an irrelevance. 

Edited by keef
  • Like 1

Keef, I made an intro for your un8y theme. I used speech synthesisEr from mbkinect to say: " welcome to unity". I think you'll like it. I will upload shortly.

• Like 3

jasonmcroy

Thanks for the Unity Theme! I installed it so my MCE interface looks similar to the Pearl theme I am using inside of MBC.

I have one question and I know this isn't a thread about using Media Center Themer in general, but I am hoping someone can direct me somewhere that may be able to answer my question. 

In regards to changing the MCE Icons order and titles, I have figured out how to do all this with one exception. When it comes to the Addon Icons like Media Browser and Netflix, I can't find the Log String number to use to change the text wording. I can re-position them just fine (Media Browser is Addon1 for me). I set the String Log as per the themer instructions and I can see the String numbers for the native MCE icons but where do I find it for the Media Browser icon? I have searched Google, the old MB forum, AVS forums, etc. and I can't seem to find that one piece of information. 

So, anyone know the answer or can you point me to somewhere that may give me that answer?

Thanks,

Jason

@@chef - thanks for taking the time to do this.  I look forward to hearing it. (I've not had a chance to check out the ehres.dll's yet - things have been kinda crazy here)

@@jasonmcroy - glad you like the theme.  This started out a long time ago based on chef's Pearl Media Center theme, and has gradually evolved.  Regarding renaming the Media Browser icon, are you using Windows 7 or 8?

OK, I've never had any luck re-naming the Media Browser icon with Media Browser Classic.  I'm running Media Browser Classic on a Windows 8.1 machine, but I don't know whether that's related (of course Media Center Themer doesn't currently work on 8.1 (come on Patchou!) but re-naming didn't work on Windows 8 either).  I'm still running MB 2.6 on a Windows 7 machine, and re-naming works fine via Media Center Themer.  So I don't know if it's a Windows thing or a Media Browser Classic thing.

For Media Browser Classic, I've had to resort to a regedit to rename the Media Browser strip and icon.  It's not very elegant, but...

For MBC v 3.0.88.0, in the registry editor, go to the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Extensibility\Entry Points\{fc9abccc-36cb-47ac-8bab-03e8ef5f6f22}

and edit the "Title" string to what you want.  This will change the name of the Media Browser icon. (If you're on different verion of MBC, the default MBC icon name is "media browser 3", so you could just search in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Extensibility\Entry Points\ for that string to find the key).

You have to be a bit careful using this method, as the key will probably change with the next MBC update...

I know this isn't the answer you wanted, but I hope it helps (a bit...).

Edited by keef
  • Like 1

jasonmcroy

Well, at least it sounds like I am not the only one having this trouble. I just started learning how to do this over the weekend. I am not a Dev nor do I have very much experience with programs, etc. So it's all been trial and error for the most part. I just thought I was doing something wrong.

Thanks for showing me how you were able to do it, I will try that out. I usually don't like messing with Reg keys and such, but at least it doesn't look too difficult. 

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out!

-Jason

I'm by no means a dev - just a tinkerer.

If anyone has had any success in renaming the Media Browser Classic icon in Media Center using Media Center Themer, I'd be delighted to hear how they did it!

• Like 1