My app repeatedly freezes on pc, on Apple TV, on phone. Recent log included.

thesnappysneezer

vdatanet
On 6/15/2021 at 12:31 AM, cayars said:

Logs?

This thread is full of logs.

thesnappysneezer

I had given up as I had become tired of just spending time trying tio get this to work, but I will try again. I have rebooted my computer, well, it has been off a few days. Emby is loading as I type this. I think if nothing can be done I may try and build a new PC and get some new hard drives and transfer my files to it, if any one could recommend a good system to build, one that can multiple harddrives and doesn't cost too much, please tell me. I may not be able to buy a new windows, so if you know the best free os that works with Emby and most hardware, one that can connect to the internet easy, please do tell. Last time I tried linux, which was a decade ago, it would never go online. I haven't built a computer in over a decade, maybe this one is too old.

Back to the issue on hand, this Windows X  machine is not doing anything right with Emby, and  things keep getting worse. The app is much slower to load than it use to be. Been going for a half hour now loadinf as I write this. Now that it has loaded, moving with in Emby’s menu is pretty smooth and fast, it is just taking a long time to get going. 

When I try to play MKV files on Emby on my PC I get an error :

Playback Error

No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details.

This happens only with mkv as far as I can see, this is most of what I have video files of. When I hit the "Got It" button the Playback Error box opens again. I can keep doing this over and over and over and over again, or exit the window and open Emby in another tab. These files are playable smoothly and in their native quality in VLC. 

For some reason my Emby is installing something called Dina? I do not know what that is. 

I recently completely reset my Apple TV.  I am in Emby, logged in. I see my menu structure. I choose to watch a program. it starts to play but freezes, probably a half second into it then, continues to freeze or stutter every few seconds. I stop and choose another program. The same occurs. This problem has persisted for many months, since before the new update. MPV is enabled.

Earlier I was able to adjust image quality as per instructions here, I set it to the highest quality option on both the settings on my pc and the app on my Apple TV4K. That option is no longer in the app on my Apple TV 4K. It just has Audio Settings, Music Quality and Advanced in the Playback section, with a few options to mark Checks by. 

I am going to attach the most recent logs for these actions here and a  photo of the Playback Error, and my current video settings.   I will make a second post from my phone with a photo of the Playback section of my Apple TV 4K to note the loss of the video quality function. 

playback error.jpg

video.jpg

embyserver.txt hardware_detection-63759559593.txt

Edited by thesnappysneezer

thesnappysneezer

And here is a photo of the Playback Section of AppleTV4K, I am fairly certain this was where I could alter the quality of the video and had done so when asked a while back. Sorry if it is downside up. 

D4BC9542-BBF3-4C9B-9D32-C6DC38C58DFC.jpeg

thesnappysneezer

One more additional comment, I just tried the app on my iphone, aside from the same stuttering I get on my tv, the video that does play seems more like a sequence of still images flickering pass me rather than a video stream. 

vdatanet
3 hours ago, thesnappysneezer said:

And here is a photo of the Playback Section of AppleTV4K, I am fairly certain this was where I could alter the quality of the video and had done so when asked a while back. Sorry if it is downside up. 

D4BC9542-BBF3-4C9B-9D32-C6DC38C58DFC.jpeg

Try to uninstall the Apple TV app and install it again.

thesnappysneezer
8 hours ago, vdatanet said:

Try to uninstall the Apple TV app and install it again.

Oh it has been uninstalled and reinstalled a few times since this new issue began. I have also redownloaded the app. I was considering fully deleting Emby from my PC to reinstall a fully fresh copy of it, but then I would lose all the modifications I have made to many titles and my video playlists which were time consuming to create.

EODCrafter
11 hours ago, thesnappysneezer said:

I haven't built a computer in over a decade, maybe this one is too old.

Gulp....If your PC is 10 years old, I would say it's too old.

• Agree 2

vdatanet
32 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

Gulp....If your PC is 10 years old, I would say it's too old.

I was thinking the same, maybe the computer doesn't have enough power to move Emby. Maybe performance has been gradually degrading over the years, it usually happens with Windows.

• Agree 1

EODCrafter

This is just the Hard Drive, not to mention the outdated CPU....

Capture.PNG

Not to mention typically how much faster newer drives are as well. :)

thesnappysneezer

My hard drives for storage of my video files are relatively newer, with the newest being about 3 years old. It is the mother board, video card, and processor which are over a decade old. The power supply is probably 5 years old. The shell is probably 15 years old. When I say built it so long ago, I mean the motherboard heat sink, processor bit, which was the most nerve racking thing. I cut my hand while installing it, a bit of my blood went into the processor. I had to have stitches. Everything else was easier than getting an NES game to play. You just plug the cartridge in and it is relatively good to go. I am going to go ahead and turn this pc off from now going forward to preserve files just in case there is a solid issue with something in this pc, though everything seems to be running well on it but Emby. I will say that it works fine in regards to playing videos in VLC, listening to music through Media Monkey, searching the Internet, watching Netflix, watching YouTube, watching Hulu, using Spotify, playing some 16 bit video games and Emby was working fine not terribly long ago. My initial issue happened when I moved my pc to the left side of my tv, instead of the right. All wired, no new elements, I unhooked everything and rehooked everything up. I came here for help, and did not find much that worked back then. I was given some advice that proved fruitless, but I do thank you all for the effort. I have returned a few time over the last five months in hopes of finding out just what the issue was. Somehow during this last week, the Emby program got worse on the pc, but not on the Apple TV, though the problem on Apple TV persisted. 

I would like to know why the video quality option disappeared from the Apple app, and why MKV files won't even start on this pc now. These problems seem separate and removed from my initial issue, why do videos stutter on Emby. Perhaps I messed something up when fiddling with settings upon advice. 

I would like to request that an ability to clearly turn off all transcoding be added. I do not want my files converted, just play them as is. 

Could someone please offer me advice for building a relatively cheap system to manage my video files going forward? Also if you have hard drive recommendations, please tell. My hds are no bigger than 5 tb and  I have been thinking about getting larger ones. I would like a few as I have only backed up about half of my dvds. I currently have about 18 tb of video files, music files and other files I would like to preserve, about 10tb of that is video. I would like to double that amount on the new system. I need a motherboard that takes on many harddrives and some processor advice. I am a bit out of the loop in regard to these things. My main reason for using these is to stream video to my television.

1 hour ago, thesnappysneezer said:

I would like to request that an ability to clearly turn off all transcoding be added. I do not want my files converted, just play them as is. 

You can do this now on a per person basis: This is from the Users->Profile Tab
image.png.6a00b23db3951a7e25fc6fb6e2aeb281.png

vdatanet
1 minute ago, cayars said:

You can do this now on a per person basis: This is from the Users->Profile Tab
image.png.6a00b23db3951a7e25fc6fb6e2aeb281.png

As long as you have the MPV player enabled on Apple TV, otherwise you will not be able to play anything, because the native player has very limited features.

• Thanks 1

vdatanet

@Luke this is a bug, "Play default audio track regardless.." has the same label as "Audio quality". The same thing happens in Spanish, it is somewhat confusing. 

Regarding the quality of the video, it is weird that you do not have the option. Is your Apple TV HD or 4K? Tomorrow I will go to my mother-in-law's house, she has an Apple TV HD, to see if I see any difference. In all my Apple TV 4K the video quality option comes out.

D4BC9542-BBF3-4C9B-9D32-C6DC38C58DFC.jpeg.3f137d82daaeb799a7cc97bd2de08200.thumb.jpg.d65ae0550a40611f810231e7974ad7e7.jpg

thesnappysneezer
3 hours ago, vdatanet said:

@Luke this is a bug, "Play default audio track regardless.." has the same label as "Audio quality". The same thing happens in Spanish, it is somewhat confusing. 

Regarding the quality of the video, it is weird that you do not have the option. Is your Apple TV HD or 4K? Tomorrow I will go to my mother-in-law's house, she has an Apple TV HD, to see if I see any difference. In all my Apple TV 4K the video quality option comes out.

D4BC9542-BBF3-4C9B-9D32-C6DC38C58DFC.jpeg.3f137d82daaeb799a7cc97bd2de08200.thumb.jpg.d65ae0550a40611f810231e7974ad7e7.jpg

I am AppleTV4K and the option to alter the video quality was there a week or so ago. It disappeared around the same time the app became unable to play mkv files on the pc. 

vdatanet
15 minutes ago, Luke said:

That label is resolved for the next update to the app. Thanks.

Why do you think the video quality selector is not displayed?

1 hour ago, vdatanet said:

Why do you think the video quality selector is not displayed?

What? I'm talking about the report of the double play default audio track.

vdatanet
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

What? I'm talking about the report of the double play default audio track.

Yes, that's one problem fixed in the current beta, but if you look to the picture there another problem, there's no selector for the video quality. But this problem is specific for the OP, because in all my devices I have the video quality selector. OP has reinstalled the app, but the selector still does not appear.

• 4 weeks later...
vdatanet

@thesnappysneezer

Enable "Allow video playback that requires transcoding", when disabled some apps does not allow change video quality. Enable it and then increase video quality on your Apple TV app.

Right, you can't really change the video quality if you've got that disabled on the server.