My app repeatedly freezes on pc, on Apple TV, on phone. Recent log included.

thesnappysneezer

thesnappysneezer

I have been having this issue repeatedly for months and after some recent issue where the app was just freezing and inoperable to just navigate on my pc, the app is all of a sudden today working well within the menu, but I still can not go for a minute without it freezing. All of my files are mkv. I primarily stream it on AppleTV 4k and on my pc I am accessing it through Google Chrome. I am using a Windows 10 pc. Emby, AppleTV, Chrome and Windows are all up to date. Issues have been going on throughout 2021 and later 2020. This happens whether or not MPV is enabled. Regardless of this, moving through the menu structure of Emby is much better today than it has been for a while. MY PC is hooked directly to my router. Attached is my most recent Emby server log and three most recent ffmpeg-transcodes if that is of any use. 

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-b09a9a66-1f24-4231-8af4-2c108b4641d6_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-dd21397b-43c9-4956-ae37-c432adffdc81_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-8e97e49e-046b-453a-8f7e-0791715aa093_1.txt

Hi, Looking through a couple of your transcode logs it's showing software based transcoding and in some cases the CPU isn't powerful enough to keep up.

The only 2 ways around that are to only use devices/apps that won't require transcoding or to enable hardware encoding so you can transcode your files much faster.

vdatanet

Apple TV with MPV player should direct play that

TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit

Try to increase the quality

• Like 1

thesnappysneezer

Thanks for this information I will try to look at it some more when I get home. 

vdatanet
5 hours ago, thesnappysneezer said:

Nope, not at all. My problem is happening with or without mvp. Here is a new log 

embyserver (2).txt 248.34 kB · 3 downloads

2021-06-06 18:47:26.544 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectPlay limit: media bitrate: 5189500, max bitrate: 3000000

Your server is not powerful enough to transcode you have to increase quality (set higher bandwidth) for direct play otherwise your server will not be able to do it.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, thesnappysneezer said:

Pardon my ignorance, but how can I do this? 

What is playback quality set to?  Since it is showing a 3Mb limit I am guessing Auto.

thesnappysneezer
49 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

What is playback quality set to?  Since it is showing a 3Mb limit I am guessing Auto.

It was set to auto. I set it to 1080, still stuttering. 

thesnappysneezer

Here are newest logs. I just keep wasting my offtime to play an episode of Gilligan's Island or watch an old Dean Martin movie. This use to be so easy.

embyserver (3).txt

vdatanet
2 hours ago, thesnappysneezer said:

Here are newest logs. I just keep wasting my offtime to play an episode of Gilligan's Island or watch an old Dean Martin movie. This use to be so easy.

embyserver (3).txt 2.21 MB · 2 downloads

I still see bitrate limits. 

2021-06-07 20:07:42.178 Info App: User policy for Tory. EnablePlaybackRemuxing: True EnableVideoPlaybackTranscoding: True EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: True
2021-06-07 20:07:42.216 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectPlay limit: media bitrate: 5198482, max bitrate: 3000000
2021-06-07 20:07:42.216 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectStream limit: media bitrate: 5198482, max bitrate: 3000000
2021-06-07 20:07:42.231 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectPlay limit: media bitrate: 5198482, max bitrate: 3000000
2021-06-07 20:07:42.231 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectStream limit: media bitrate: 5198482, max bitrate: 3000000
2021-06-07 20:07:42.245 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectPlay limit: media bitrate: 5198482, max bitrate: 3000000
2021-06-07 20:07:42.245 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectStream limit: media bitrate: 5198482, max bitrate: 3000000

If your CPU can't keep up for transcoding you basically have to try and direct play everything which means going into each and every app you use and raise the quality the highest setting.

That will remove the bitrate limit which forces transcoding.  At that point as long as the client being used is able play the codecs in the file you should be ok.

Generally in a home LAN environment you can often get by without the need to transcode as long as you have a good network in place and are using common video codecs your clients can play.

• Like 1

vdatanet
8 hours ago, thesnappysneezer said:

It was set to auto. I set it to 1080, still stuttering. 

1080 at at what bitrate?

Are you playing locally? Do you play via Wifi or Lan? Do you have enough bandwidth? Does the user have any remote bandwidth restrictions?

thesnappysneezer
3 hours ago, vdatanet said:

1080 at at what bitrate?

Are you playing locally? Do you play via Wifi or Lan? Do you have enough bandwidth? Does the user have any remote bandwidth restrictions?

I put it up to 1080p 60mbps on the app on my AppleTV, should I move it to 4k 120 Mbps? 

I never recall having to do this before, but I seem to recall being able to straight turn transcoding off. I thought I had this set to never transcode. 

thesnappysneezer
3 hours ago, vdatanet said:

1080 at at what bitrate?

I am playing locally. I an the only user. My computer is about six feet away from my tv wired to my router halfway between them. Is there a button to click to choose direct play? 

No but if you choose the highest quality the client allows that will play back then that's the best you can do not need to transcode (for bandwidth reasons).

vdatanet
5 minutes ago, thesnappysneezer said:

I am playing locally. I an the only user. My computer is about six feet away from my tv wired to my router halfway between them. Is there a button to click to choose direct play? 

It's really weird, my Apple TV is on Auto and in local network it has never been necessary to modify this value. This makes me think that the bandwidth limit is imposed for another reason that I do not know. The proof is that as the quality increases, the transcoding continues due to exceeded bandwidth.

vdatanet
14 minutes ago, thesnappysneezer said:

I put it up to 1080p 60mbps on the app on my AppleTV, should I move it to 4k 120 Mbps?

It's really weird, the limit that the log shows is 3 Mbps.

Do you by any chance have a limit set on the Server for this user or anything set in the Network->Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps):" setting?

Technically they should apply to internet/remote connections but maybe something is wrong on that front so it won't hurt to check both of those settings as well for any bandwidth limits.

thesnappysneezer
24 minutes ago, cayars said:

Do you by any chance have a limit set on the Server for this user or anything set in the Network->Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps):" setting?

Technically they should apply to internet/remote connections but maybe something is wrong on that front so it won't hurt to check both of those settings as well for any bandwidth limits.

I would never set a limit there, I will look into it. The Internet Streaming bitrate limit area is blank. 

Doubt it would be the cause but easy enough to check that I thought I'd mention it.

Have you tried reboot the device and then resetting the limit?

thesnappysneezer
51 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

It's really weird, the limit that the log shows is 3 Mbps.

I set it both on my pc and on my app in Apple TV4K

thesnappysneezer
1 minute ago, cayars said:

Doubt it would be the cause but easy enough to check that I thought I'd mention it.

Have you tried reboot the device and then resetting the limit?

I reboot often enough.  I have to leave for work and I will turn it back on when I get back to see.