Continue Watching and Next Up question

xdwarfx

xdwarfx

With the latest version installed on a dedicated Emby server, after i finish an episode of a serie, the next episode is being shown as 'Continue Watching' but it has not started yet.

Now i read that this has to do with the Next Up option but i have not chosen that in the menu.

Please advice :)

928479586_tvseriessettings.thumb.jpg.5ad2b57d971f7d23c3085e9f3c1a1261.jpg1430188406_ContinueWatching.thumb.jpg.d75ff87d2c38aa77bb418dd6dcd5f3f9.jpg756173956_ContinueWatchinginapp.thumb.jpg.793a8f8fc9ece3e50e6941ba80a98ab9.jpg

gillmacca01

In 'Home Screen Section 3'. if you select 'Next Up (Legacy), this will give you 2 rows - one for next up and one for continue watching.

If you leave it as it is, it will combine next up and continue watching in the same row

• Like 1

xdwarfx
24 minutes ago, gillmacca01 said:

In 'Home Screen Section 3'. if you select 'Next Up (Legacy), this will give you 2 rows - one for next up and one for continue watching.

If you leave it as it is, it will combine next up and continue watching in the same row

Unfortunately with me that is not the case. It only gets split when i choose in HSS3 Continue Watching and in HSS4 Next Up.

To me it is confusing to have Next Up and Continue Watching in the same row. It should be just what a person picked in their Home Screen Menu and not anything else. Just my 2 cents :)

Happy2Play

Continue Watching and Next Up are merge if you only have Continue Watching enabled.  So it will show all Next Up items and Resume items.

So your screenshot is correct.

There is no way to totally disable Next Up items.

Gilgamesh_48
1 hour ago, xdwarfx said:

Unfortunately with me that is not the case. It only gets split when i choose in HSS3 Continue Watching and in HSS4 Next Up.

To me it is confusing to have Next Up and Continue Watching in the same row. It should be just what a person picked in their Home Screen Menu and not anything else. Just my 2 cents :)

That sounds like you are seeing the correct behavior, after choosing "Next up legacy" for one row on the home screen.

If you choose "Next up legacy" you will have Next up and Continue watching are exactly as they were before the change. You "may" need to restart the server to get it working correctly. I did not have to do that as for me it just worked when I changed to "Next up legacy" in the dropdown menu for the row I wanted it on.

Of course each row is set separately and you must choose, if you want both rows to appear, "Next up Legacy" must be shown on at least one row , the "Next up legacy and "Continue Watching" on another. Which is also exactly how those items behaved before the change.

pwhodges

If you have only "Continue watching", the presumption is that if you are partway through an episode (or film) you will want to continue it, and that if you have finished an episode of a series you will want to continue on to the next episode.  An unfinished series is in that sense equivalent to an unfinished episode, and so can also be continued.

Paul

GregMo

I just gotta chip in here and say that this would be reason for me to stop upgrading Emby if I hadn't already developed my own version of "Next Up" through the API.  I'm sure I can't be the only one out there that used 'next up' to add to their play list of TV shows that they watch and now with this change it's almost useless.  "Suggestions" under "TV Shows" is practically meaningless now.

Gilgamesh_48
12 minutes ago, GregMo said:

I just gotta chip in here and say that this would be reason for me to stop upgrading Emby if I hadn't already developed my own version of "Next Up" through the API.  I'm sure I can't be the only one out there that used 'next up' to add to their play list of TV shows that they watch and now with this change it's almost useless.  "Suggestions" under "TV Shows" is practically meaningless now.

Why does the current behavior of "Next up/Continue watching bother anyone?
If you liked to "old" Next up and Continue watching behavior then just choose "Next up (legacy)" for the screen display.
If you like the "new" "Continue Watching/Next up" then simply choose "Next up" for the screen display.

It is really that simple. This was discussed extensively in the beta and Emby realized that both ways of viewing are valid so they gave us (the users) a choice. That is why I prefer Emby over any other media manager, they actually listen to users. They cannot always be convinced that something should be different or should have a choice but they do listen and, often enough for me, make changes based on feedback.

Emby and I have had and will have disagreements but the fact that they do listen means that at least any change I (or anyone else) does not like will at least be thoroughly thought out.

Also remember that Emby is a bit like God in that they answer all prayers but, sometimes, the answer is no.

In this case Emby actually granted the prayers of both sides and I thought everyone would be happy. I know I am happy with their decision on this.

But, Emby, DON"T GET COCKY!! I will still try to influence your choices if I believe you are moving in the wrong direction or believe you should move faster on some feature. 😜😇😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GregMo said:

Hi there, did you explore the way we allow you to control it with home screen settings?

GregMo
15 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, did you explore the way we allow you to control it with home screen settings?

The home screen setting does restore it there, which is okay once one figures that out, but it doesn't help at all in the "Suggestions" screen which is what I used primarily since I could see 24 shows at once instead of only 6.  It doesn't impact me much now that I use my own scripts to do the same with through the API but if I hadn't gotten into that I would seriously consider downgrading.

• 7 months later...
mike3821

So a suggestion. Continue watching should behave like the following.

Latest episode partially watched should be the first in the list and second in the list would be also what you partially watched. 

Next up shouldn’t be combined and only be available under the TV Show section when you go into TV shows along with continue watching. Two different rows.

It’s to confusing the way it behaves today. Combining continue watching and next up and not moving the latest episode of a series to the front of the list, just makes it confusing.

As if right now I have to have both next up and continue watching for continue watching to show the way I feel it should work.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 7:11 AM, Happy2Play said:

Continue Watching and Next Up are merge if you only have Continue Watching enabled.  So it will show all Next Up items and Resume items.

So your screenshot is correct.

There is no way to totally disable Next Up items.

I recall this being a pain in my neck when it happened but I found a way around it.  Now I'm fighting it again on another system.  I'm not understanding where the logic comes in that decided that we can no longer use these two separately.  It almost makes me want to just disable both.

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, GregMo said:

I'm not understanding where the logic comes in that decided that we can no longer use these two separately.

Where can't you use both?

1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

Where can't you use both?

How do you use the original "continue watching" function without the "next up" titles thrown into it?

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, GregMo said:

How do you use the original "continue watching" function without the "next up" titles thrown into it?

Enable Next Up (Legacy) Home screen section? 

pwhodges

He specifically said without having that row (as I understood them)...

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

GrimReaper
30 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

He specifically said without having that row...

Paul

Where exactly does that say?

2 hours ago, GregMo said:

I recall this being a pain in my neck when it happened but I found a way around it.  Now I'm fighting it again on another system.  I'm not understanding where the logic comes in that decided that we can no longer use these two separately.  It almost makes me want to just disable both.

Which was what I replied to.

Anyway, my bad, I misunderstood. And I don't think @GregMo needs an advocate, he strikes me as more than capable to correct me himself. Thanks.

Edit: Semi-related, stemming from yet another CW discussion in beta section, community script was made to address relevant issue, maybe it can be adjusted to dump Next Up items, @ginjaninja, for this particular scenario?

Edited by GrimReaper
Link

2 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Where exactly does that say?

I said it in the post right above your suggestion of "Enable Next Up (Legacy) Home screen section".  

The script you linked is interesting but why would the devs remove features that the user base so clearly wants?  This makes no sense.

Happy2Play

Don't think anyone has ever mentioned only wanting Continue Watching ie only Resume points with no Next Up row.  But is currently not possible in the new design.

You have Comined Cw/NU or CW and NU.

• Like 1

GrimReaper
42 minutes ago, GregMo said:

I said it in the post right above your suggestion of "Enable Next Up (Legacy) Home screen section".

We can talk semantics now, and while I'm sure you meant it to read like that, to that exact post that reads:

4 hours ago, GregMo said:

the answer is literally:

4 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Enable Next Up (Legacy) Home screen section

and you'll get CW row uncluttered. 

Now, since you don't want NU row - and tbh that's the first time I've seen anyone requesting it, let alone "user base" as all the issues I've witnessed are regarding sorting items in combined CW/NU row (which does need some logic adjustment) and not getting rid of NU items - you can either opt to put NU row out of sight as latest Home Screen section so it'll be dead bottom or simply live with it combined, as there's no reason for it to be reverted since all the use-cases are covered: who wants them separate - split, who doesn't (I don't) - combine.

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo