Don't allow download of original file

Skyfay

Skyfay

Hi there,

I wanted to ask whether it is possible for users to use "download to" but not be able to download the original file?

I want users to be able to download to their devices, but I don't want users to get the original file.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Skyfay

@LukeIs there perhaps the possibility to simply deactivate the download button on the web because that would actually solve the problem, right?

Skyfay

I want people to be able to download the movies on their devices (Iphone, Android, etc) but I don't want users to be able to download the original file.

Edited by Skyfay

crusher11

I understand that, what I don't understand is why. What difference does it make whether they have an exact copy of the original or a transcode? 

Skyfay

I can make a comparison here with Netflix. 
If you download a film there, you don't have the film in mkv format on your device and you can do everything with it.
You can also download the original file from me.
But then only e.g. on the IOS device where you can't do anything with it except to watch the film about emby.
So that the file may even be somehow encrypted on the device.
Was that put in an understandable way?

roaku

Asking for a copy protection scheme is very different than asking for the original file to be hidden from downloading.

• Like 1

crusher11

Yeah, only allowing them to download a transcode copy still means the video file is just sitting there on their device. 

Skyfay

So I would like to be able to download media files only in the apps and not in the web app. In addition, an encryption of the file that only Emby can read so that the film cannot simply be copied in the original.

Edited by Skyfay