Collections have disappeared!

artatgray
Go to solution Solved by Mr_Scumbag,

artatgray

Ever since the latest updates my Collections have disappeared from My Media. How do I restore them, if possible? 

Thanks in advance,
Bill

187561773_321712052812107_4746812844854402389_n.jpg

190166238_210786040884680_7417314937652563620_n.jpg

Hi, try checking your movie libraries to make sure you have Collection creation turned on.
Then do a full library scan and see if collections have been restored.
If not then try a refresh meta-data on the movies library for missing data.

artatgray

Thanks for your answer. However, this is regarding music collections, and secondly, I see no such setting on the Library page in the dashboard. Would you post a screenshot of where it is? 

Hi, you can't add music tracks to a collection but you can add tracks to playlists.

Edited by cayars

Happy2Play

Yes you can add Music Folders, Albums, Artists, but not Tracks to Collections.

Now it is hard to say as I don't know of anyone that tested custom Music Collections for this major Collection change in this server update.

artatgray

Yes, I had a number of albums added to various collections prior to the update. Those collections have now disappeared. 

Happy2Play

@Lukewill have to comment as I don't know how these are handle as the server does not currently read album.nfo files so the server would never recreate as Collection off of a album.

But am guessing you will have to manually create them again.

Edited by Happy2Play

GregMo

I noticed something was missing but wasn't sure, but yeah, they're gone.  What happened to them?

Also, what happened to "Next Up"?  It shows on the home page but as "Continue Watching" and if you want actually continue watching something you stopped short you have to navigate to it in the library.

• Solution
Mr_Scumbag

This is extremely frustrating.

I don't know why the support staff here have so much trouble remembering these things, since I know for a fact that we've gone over this recent collection issue only a week ago. (See link below) One of them is saying that it's not even possible to create music collections which is completely untrue and baffling coming from someone on the support team. I don't mean to be insulting, but I'd expect support staff to have a functioning understanding of Emby's features at a bare minimum. I say this as someone who has worked support before.

What is actually going on:

After the recent update, only movie collections have carried over, due to the changes made with music library scanning and storage. All music collections are not carried over (though if the dev had have wanted to, I see no reason why it couldn't be a possibility), so if you're like me and spent hours and hours on your music collections, the official response basically boils down to "Too bad, re-create them all again".

Thread that contains this info, as well as a statement from @Luke

• Thanks 1

artatgray

Thanks for the information. Hopefully the plug-in will resolve this issue. However, I personally believe it should have been migrated during the initial update process.

In my work as a consulting software engineer, all of my clients wouldn't have been particularly happy about it not happening during the initial update, unless there was an exceptionally good reason for it. A database restructuring doesn't sound like one to me - I work on them - and I'm not either. 

Regards, 

Bill

• Agree 1

GregMo
4 hours ago, Mr_Scumbag said:

What is actually going on:

After the recent update, only movie collections have carried over

Except that they didn't carry over neither, at least they didn't on my server.  So much was broken with this release 

Apologies for the disruption. Because music scanning was rewritten in 4.6, music albums are different objects in the database now and that's why this happened. We'll look and see what can be done but as the other user mentioned, if you recreate them with the same name, the artwork is still there and will be used.

artatgray
On 01/06/2021 at 06:31, cayars said:

Did you run a full library scan?

Of course, I did. 

artatgray
On 01/06/2021 at 12:03, Luke said:

Apologies for the disruption. Because music scanning was rewritten in 4.6, music albums are different objects in the database now and that's why this happened. We'll look and see what can be done but as the other user mentioned, if you recreate them with the same name, the artwork is still there and will be used.

Thanks for apology, Luke. It was indeed a disruption.

Fortunately the xml files for my old collections were retained, and I managed to recreate my collections manually per the information contained within after the suggested third-party plug-in didn't. Yes, it was an inconvenience, but a minor one, and not enough for me to abandon Emby. I've used it happily for several years now, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future... 🖥️📡⚡🎛️🔊🎶 🤘🏾😎🤘🏾 

Edited by artatgray
  • Thanks 1