Why is there a book category on Emby if it doesn't support it ????

I recently tried to use the books category on Emby but it seems it doesn't work. I tried using PDF and CBZ files. They do show up but when I click on it it's just blank! 

• Like 1

Hi there, please attach the emby server log from when you did this. thanks.

Hi, do you have PDF and CBZ readers installed on the client?
Emby is just hosting the files but doesn't have built in readers for them.

1 hour ago, cayars said:

Hi, do you have PDF and CBZ readers installed on the client?
Emby is just hosting the files but doesn't have built in readers for them.

How can I install them ?

No, Emby just streams the files and you would use any external app to read them.

2 minutes ago, cayars said:

No, Emby just streams the files and you would use any external app to read them.

Ok so you basically saying that I have to download every chapter that I what to read and then lode them up on a external reader ?

No, you would use Emby as normal.  The only difference is that Emby doesn't have any built in book readers so it would use an external program.  It's similar to setting up an external video player in Theater in that a 3rd party "player" would then get used for that particular piece of media.

If you haven't tried it yet, setup a small book library with 3 or 4 PDFs and give it a try.

justinrh

@cayars So it behaves like any non-viewable file from a website?  E.g., I'd click the PDF link in Emby web and it would use whatever app I have installed that views PDFs?  (Could be the browser itself or a desktop app?)

Yes, you could say that. It will just use what ever book readers you provide and have installed already.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
PersonelDestek

Hi, I have the sama issue. I added som pdfs to the library as a category books, then I can see the files but I can't read them, just saw a blank page. I already have pdf reader in my PC. I can download pdfs but can't read in Emby 

wordlover

Since Emby can trigger external readers, it would be great if there were a way to see non-music files in a directory (under folder view?) and have the ability to open them using the appropriate external reader if installed on the client device. Examples: ability to open and view detailed cover scan .jpgs or .pdfs, track list .txt files, etc.

• 1 year later...
Locutus64
On 3/8/2022 at 5:45 AM, Luke said:

Hi, more book features are planned for future updates. Thanks 

PLENTY of GOOD apps out there for that. Emby should stick to handling videos and music.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, AndyInSpain said:

Indeed. There's no point in having this type of library if it doesn't do anything. What are the plans for this library type?

HI, more book features are planned for future updates. Thanks.