No Internet = No Live TV ?!?

dave37174

dave37174

We had an 18 hour internet outage yesterday.  During that time Emby was noticeably slower and would give me an error about needing Emby Premier access to watch Live TV. 

I've been a Premier user for several years and I've never had this issue with Live TV being unusable during an internet outage.  I can live without the guide updates but I wasn't able to watch Live TV at all with Emby while our internet was down.  Internet came back and so did Live TV. 

Is this a new "feature"?  Is there an option to make Emby less dependent on internet connectivity?     

NOTE:  I use an HDHomerun and antenna in the attic for Live TV. Emby Server Version 4.6.1.0

Edited by dave37174
add note

Hi, Can you provide the server logs for this time period please?

Thank you

Sammy

AFAIK, LiveTV requires Premier which in turn requires an internet connection to validate. I might be wrong..

In the future you could try using ChannelsDVR but they may have the same problem.

What device do you use for playback,  BTW?

dave37174

I primarily use Chrome on Linux and an Amazon FireStick for playback.  I used VLC while our internet was down to stream TV. from the HDHomerun directly.  It works but not as convenient as Emby.

I believe this is a recent change in the Premier validation.  We lost internet a few months ago and used Emby for LiveTV. no problem.

Seems like the phone home requirement for Premier validation occurs more often or more strict now.  

13 hours ago, dave37174 said:

Seems like the phone home requirement for Premier validation occurs more often or more strict now

Hi.  That should not be the case but what could happen is that it may have been longer since you validated one of those apps before your internet went out.

Just curious but when your Internet was out, did you try using only a web interface to view TV?

dave37174

@ebr Thank you, sounds like nothing recently changed that would have caused this to behave differently. 

I'm adding a cell modem to the house network for backup internet.  So, this shouldn't be a problem next time. 

@cayars the result was the same on Roku, Firestick, Android and Chrome.  My emby server definitely wasn't happen about not having internet.   :)

• Thanks 1