Just moved from Plex

DarkShadow93

DarkShadow93

I’m the progress of migrating my library from plex to emby and I have to say emby is so less cluttered than plex is and I’m so happy I made the move. That being said is there any special documents I should read or plug-ins I should add to enhance my experience? Also is there a Linux playback client that I can install to view on a desktop app rather than the web browser?

Gilgamesh_48

You have made a good decision. Plex is so cluttered with junk, even if you disable all you can, that watching your media becomes a chore instead of fun. I keep a Plex server active, just in case but I almost never watch much using Plex because it is almost painful to do so.

I cannot help much with a Linux based client but I thought the there was a version of "Emby Theater" for Linux. I know a lot of people use the Windows version.

Having said that I really recommend one of the standalone clients, like the Rokus or Fire TVs or Shield TVs or one of the many Android boxes. I know that many people really like watching through a computer but I have always found it highly unsatisfying to do so and it requires giving your computer multiple duties. (a server should serve and do almost nothing else)

I have Rokus, Fire TVs and a Shield TV. I also can use a computer. I almost never use the computer as it is too clumsy. When I want to watch that is all I really want to do and I do not want to be concerned if a big complex device like a computer will work correctly. Just about every stand alone client is a superior viewing experience to using a computer. But that is just my opinion and others might feel differently.

I also recommend that you store artwork and nfos and other support stuff with the media files. It clutters up the directories a bit but it makes maintenance easier and it reduces problems if you ever need to perform a reinstall.

• Like 2

DarkShadow93

Thanks @Gilgamesh_48 for the welcome right now I’m in the process of moving so only have my laptop but will look into yhe Roku app. I agree plex just became to clutter for me to enjoy have to wave through their files before mine and god help if your server goes down I had issues where I had to reinstall and I love how I can manage my server from my phone with the app with plex you needed a pc to manage and I agree I use one library to keep my data in one for tv shows and movies will be adding one for other things such as my patron support and some other videos 

arrbee99

Seeing as I'm just an ordinary user, I can't contribute much, except to look thought the Knowledge Base, I think its called now, especially perhaps the recommended naming section. Maybe also when setting up libraries click on the Advanced slider in the top right to see what there is there. You might want to add the Server Configuration Backup plugin.

You might know all about this already of course.

One of my personal favs is in a browser you can use css to customise things a bit, should you feel the urge. This doesn't extend to the apps unfortunately.

• Like 1

rbjtech

As you discover little issues or have questions on things, try and use the wiki/KB for answers but don't struggle on your own if you are not getting the answers/results you need - just ask questions in the forums and somebody will gladly help you out. :)

• Like 2

DarkShadow93

Thanks Guys love the welcome already everyone here seems super nice and willing to help new users. I will take a look into the Wiki/KB for some info 

I think you'll be happy with your decision.

Plugins I really like are Server Configuration Backup, Cover Art, Diagnostics (adds new menus).
Depending on the type of things you like you may want to checkout the Statistics, Playback Reporting, Reports

We have lots of different clients available on the Downloads page: https://emby.media/download.html (scroll down past the server section).

A great place to start with the KB area is https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159034-quick-start which links to other important sections.

Let us know how we can help you.

DarkShadow93

Thanks @cayars Im happy I love Emby it's better for me and has great support. It's taking me some time to get use to the layout coming from how plex was set up but its super simple otherwise

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
BAlGaInTl
On 5/26/2021 at 2:51 PM, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Having said that I really recommend one of the standalone clients, like the Rokus or Fire TVs or Shield TVs or one of the many Android boxes. I know that many people really like watching through a computer but I have always found it highly unsatisfying to do so and it requires giving your computer multiple duties. (a server should serve and do almost nothing else)

I have Rokus, Fire TVs and a Shield TV. I also can use a computer. I almost never use the computer as it is too clumsy. When I want to watch that is all I really want to do and I do not want to be concerned if a big complex device like a computer will work correctly. Just about every stand alone client is a superior viewing experience to using a computer. But that is just my opinion and others might feel differently.

I agree for TVs. 

My server serves, but I have multiple computers.  My use case is to use Emby Theater full screen on a second display.  There is no TV in my office.  This allows me to do work or browse on my main monitor while Emby plays next to it.

There is a version of Emby Theater for Linux, but I haven't used it in a while.

kpfleming

Chiming in to say I'm doing the same thing right now... have installed Emby in a Debian container with an NGINX reverse proxy, setup a Roku client, transferred my media over (which is still being scanned), setup my SiliconDust HDHomeRun-Flex tuner and recording schedule, and so far Emby is fantastic. The UI is *FAST* (which Plex is not), it's easy to navigate, and there's no clutter of crap that I didn't put there. Emby is fantastic, so far 🙂

Like the OP, the world of Emby plugins will take some time to research and decide what I want to use, but the 'default' plugins seem to be working well for me (library includes TV series, movies, photos, music, and home videos).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kpfleming said:

Chiming in to say I'm doing the same thing right now... have installed Emby in a Debian container with an NGINX reverse proxy, setup a Roku client, transferred my media over (which is still being scanned), setup my SiliconDust HDHomeRun-Flex tuner and recording schedule, and so far Emby is fantastic. The UI is *FAST* (which Plex is not), it's easy to navigate, and there's no clutter of crap that I didn't put there. Emby is fantastic, so far 🙂

Like the OP, the world of Emby plugins will take some time to research and decide what I want to use, but the 'default' plugins seem to be working well for me (library includes TV series, movies, photos, music, and home videos).

Hi, welcome and thanks for the feedback !

Maisy

I love using Emby Theater on my main computer that DOES house the server, but it's good enough for running everything all the time, plus I don't have a ton of users, it works out to listen to music on my main server or laptop or Android phone or tablet. Android TV clients are good too (but can't scrobble my music which equals and no use for me.)

On the other hand I love Trakt.tv for everything I watch so that plugin is one I would recommend if you like that sort of thing. Also love cover art plugin and Server Backup plugin.

I used Plex first, most of my stuff came from there to Emby without a hitch in late 2018. Well organized folders and files work wonders.

• Agree 1