Is There a Way to Keep My Emby Server Running 24/7, but Only Wake My External HDD When it Needs to be Used?

Davies23

Davies23

Hello, I have a MacBook Pro (13 inch, early 2011 running MacOS Mojave) that I currently use to run my Emby server. I use Amphetamine to keep the Mac awake 24/7 (even when the screen is closed), and I have an external 2 TB Seagate HDD plugged into my computer 24/7. The HDD is always running, so I am concerned (since it's an HDD) that the Hard Drive won't live as long because it's constantly running. Is anything I can do so that my HDD will only wake up and start running when I am using it and then go to sleep when I'm not using it? I also would like to run the Emby server 24/7. I'm currently storing pictures, home videos, and movies I've ripped from DVDs on my HDD. Thanks :)

Hi, to do this, Emby would have to store complete copies of all images in it's internal data folder. There are actually open feature requests to do this for this very reason, so yes, it's something that will be available in future updates. 

Happy2Play

Yes there is a outstanding request for this.