Newbie DLNA question about direct play to a Samsung PN51F5500

Happy2Play

Happy2Play

Doesn't look like your TV supports DTS.

Supported File Formats

This TV is capable of playing back the following types of files. For more information, refer to the

"Subtitle and Media Contents file formats, and Codec" section.

●● Photos: .bmp, .jpg, .mpo, .png

●● Music: .aac, .flac, .m4a, .mpa, .mp3, .ogg, .wma

●● Video: .3gp, .avi, .asf, .flv, .m2ts, .mkv, .mov, .mp4, .mpg, .mts, .svi, .ts, .tp, .trp, .vob, .vro,

.webm, .wmv

●● Subtitles: .ass, .psb, .smi, .srt, .ssa, .sub, .ttxt, .txt

With .avi, .mkv, and .mp4 files, the TV supports embedded subtitles.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201308/20130813133020082/[ENG_US]X12ATSCF-1.119.pdf

Look at page 147. 

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

crashkelly

Hi,

I am a totally newb with DLNA stuff and I am trying to figure out DLNA with my Samsung PN51F5500.

As an example, I am trying to play the below to my TV and it transcodes. I have not modified anything in the DNLA profiles and thought the Samsung Smart TV profile would take care of the direct play for the file. Is it the audio that is causing it to transcode or do I need to set something in the default profile.

53f7c734c55f2_MediaInfo.jpg

Thanks for any assistance for the newb :)

Cheers

CrashKelly

crashkelly

Doesn't look like your TV supports DTS.

Supported File Formats

This TV is capable of playing back the following types of files. For more information, refer to the

"Subtitle and Media Contents file formats, and Codec" section.

●● Photos: .bmp, .jpg, .mpo, .png

●● Music: .aac, .flac, .m4a, .mpa, .mp3, .ogg, .wma

●● Video: .3gp, .avi, .asf, .flv, .m2ts, .mkv, .mov, .mp4, .mpg, .mts, .svi, .ts, .tp, .trp, .vob, .vro,

.webm, .wmv

●● Subtitles: .ass, .psb, .smi, .srt, .ssa, .sub, .ttxt, .txt

With .avi, .mkv, and .mp4 files, the TV supports embedded subtitles.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201308/20130813133020082/[ENG_US]X12ATSCF-1.119.pdf

Look at page 147. 

Thank you for the information and the link

Cheers

CrashKelly

chessdragon136

Hi Guys

Just to add clarification to Happy2Play answer, the TV Does support DTS (Its in the manual http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN51F5500AFXZA and is also specified on the developer page http://www.samsungdforum.com/guide/rel00010/index.html )

It  doesn't support the DTS-HD MA profile of DTS.I think only DTS Core is natively supported (DTS-HD is supported too so im not sure, will look into this)

Edited by chessdragon136
  • Like 1

crashkelly

Hi Guys

Just to add clarification to Happy2Play answer, the TV Does support DTS (Its in the manual http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN51F5500AFXZA and is also specified on the developer page http://www.samsungdforum.com/guide/rel00010/index.html )

It  doesn't support the DTS-HD MA profile of DTS.I think only DTS Core is natively supported.

Thanks for the further info. Have tried a couple of variations and it still transcodes. Will keep trying until I find the right "mix" for a file, but right now I am thinking that it shouldn't be that complicated and I am probably over thinking things

Cheers

CrashKelly

crashkelly

Okay, another attempt

53f8d24edadea_MediaInfo2.jpg

I really do not know what I am looking for, but to me this is a pretty vanilla mkv that should direct play to my TV as listed above. I am using the web interface to select the play to portion and then hitting play for the movie.

It transcodes with

TS 8mbps

Video h264

Audio ac3

When I look at the default DLNA profile for the Samsung Smart TV under direct play the mkv container is there with that video and that audio.

In the logs I find a bunch of lines like

2014-08-23 11:32:18.5881 Debug - App: Disposing session controller PlayToController
2014-08-23 11:32:18.8381 Error - Dlna: Error updating device info for [TV]Samsung PDP51

Actually I am finding those for two other devices that are currently on in my home.

The latest log file and transcode file from the title are attached.

Thanks for any pointers

Cheers

CrashKelly

server-63544362300.txt

transcode-794a5e54-6da4-40ae-b29d-e15791597aac.txt

Happy2Play

Could this be since the "Max streaming bitrate" is set to 8mb, you could try to increase to 10mb. (DLNA-Profiles-Your profile-Info-Playback Settings)

• Like 1

crashkelly

Could this be since the "Max streaming bitrate" is set to 8mb, you could try to increase to 10mb. (DLNA-Profiles-Your profile-Info-Playback Settings)

Thank you for that, and even better, I understand why :)

I have up it to 40mb as a second test as most of my blu-ray rips are 30+ and it is working great, although the manual say 30 is the max

The audio track is DTS-HD MA and that is going just fine as well

Really appreciate the help

Cheers

CrashKelly

EDIT: Tried a file with TrueHD and it transcoded. However, I will have to look a bit more as it is possible that it no longer has the ac3 core as I may have removed it, if that is possible, when I was ripping

Edited by crashkelly

Happy2Play

@@Luke

Shouldn't the "Max streaming bitrate" be defaulted to the highest bitrate in the profile unless there are no conditions in the profile?

example Samsung profile

<CodecProfile type="Video" codec="h264">

<Conditions>

<ProfileCondition condition="LessThanEqual" property="Width" value="1920" isRequired="true" />

<ProfileCondition condition="LessThanEqual" property="Height" value="1080" isRequired="true" />

<ProfileCondition condition="LessThanEqual" property="VideoFramerate" value="30" isRequired="true" />

<ProfileCondition condition="LessThanEqual" property="VideoBitrate" value="25600000" isRequired="true" />

<ProfileCondition condition="LessThanEqual" property="VideoLevel" value="41" isRequired="true" />

Not necessarily. The conditions are meant to describe device support. The max setting is meant to describe network or other user factors. The conservative default is designed to produce something that will play

crashkelly

Hi,

Okay, trying to get a bit more complicated now. I ripped a 3D movie to FSBS using DVDFab but I cannot get it to Direct Play to my Samsung. I have no idea if it will auto-switch to 3D, but I know the first step is to get it to direct play.

What I did notice through opening it up in VLC is that the video codec is h264 MPEG-4 AVC. Is this different than h264 MPEG-4?

The only change I have made to the Samsung default profile is to up the MAX STREAMING BITRATE to 40000000

I appreciate any assistance and thanks for your patience while I try to learn about this stuff.

53fbbe273363b_MediaInfo3.jpg

53fbbe366109e_VLC_MediaInfo.jpg

server-63544535100.txt

transcode-b7e2a081-0918-49e2-8337-a88787f9899c.txt

Happy2Play

I know the profile is limited to h264 level 4.1, your video is level 5.  Don't know if the TV supports higher or not.

<ProfileCondition value="41" isRequired="true" property="VideoLevel" condition="LessThanEqual"/>

• Like 1

crashkelly

I know the profile is limited to h264 level 4.1, your video is level 5.  Don't know if the TV supports higher or not.

<ProfileCondition value="41" isRequired="true" property="VideoLevel" condition="LessThanEqual"/>

Thanks, I will check that out

Cheers

CrashKelly

@@Happy2Play

Is that just the nature of that type of file, 3D movie to FSBS or is that something I change look at changing while ripping? Also, where did you find where it was level 5?

Again, thanks for the patience :)

Edited by crashkelly

Happy2Play

Your screen shot show level 50 which is 5.0.  Most ripping software have a h264 level setting.  I have only used handbrake though.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

crashkelly

Your screen shot show level 50 which is 5.0.  Most ripping software have a h264 level setting.  I have only used handbrake though.

So it does :huh:

I am using DVDFab and am trying to find that setting.

Thanks again

CrashKelly

Happy2Play

Did you try to changing the 41 to 50 in your profile to see if it worked?  You will have to edit the xml directly.

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\config\dlna\user

I have never used DVDFab but this may help with editing you DVDFab profile.

http://club.myce.com/f116/guide-create-h264-ac3-ps3-dvdfab-5-0-2-0-a-245236/

Look at post 1 Setup and post 2 modifying the level.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

crashkelly

Did you try to changing the 41 to 50 in your profile to see if it worked?  You will have to edit the xml directly.

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\config\dlna\user

I have never used DVDFab but this may help with editing you DVDFab profile.

http://club.myce.com/f116/guide-create-h264-ac3-ps3-dvdfab-5-0-2-0-a-245236/

Look at post 1 Setup and post 2 modifying the level.

Hi and thank you for the further info.

I did not try the above, but I will.

What I did do is create a new rip at hsbs with everything else the same and DVDFab pushed out a 4.1 profile encode. Used the web interface to play it to my TV and it direct played, however it did not auto-switch to 3D, but I was able to hit the 3D button on the remote and choose type of 3D and all worked.

I will have to research the TV a little to see about the auto-switch for 3D, but it is also possible that whatever "flag" is necessary for the TV to know to switch is not there.

I will try the XML edit after work today and post back with the results.

Thank you again for all the assistance

Cheers

CrashKelly

Edited by crashkelly

crashkelly

I would ask chessdragon136 or cbers in this thread.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/9871-3d-discussions/

Thanks

I am following those Samsung threads as well but up until the point I got direct play working it was not necessary a Samsung thing so I was keeping it out of those threads

Cheers and thanks again

CrashKelly