Do you rename your foreign films into English?

ReadySalted

Do you rename your foreign films into English?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you rename your foreign films into English?

• I keep the original foreign titles
    • I rename them into English titles
    • I have a mixture of both foreign and English titles

Gilgamesh_48

It all depends if the title is in one of the languages I read. If it is I leave it alone if it is not then I change it. (Sometimes I change some titles that I can read because the script for the written language is hard for me to read on my big screen TV.)

Also there are a good number of people on here that are from countries that do not have English as their primary language. So what, exactly, do you mean by foreign?

Edited by Gilgamesh_48
  • Like 1

ReadySalted
5 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Also there are a good number of people on here that are from countries that do not have English as their primary language. So what, exactly, do you mean by foreign?

I think that's implied in the question but thanks for your answer.

I'm an English speaker so luckily most films/shows I want are available to me this way.  Once in a while I'll get a French, Italian or Japanese film I want.
Typically I'll run them through a util such as Filebot and use the name it give me which will likely give me and my Emby setting the best chance for Identification.

For those films I'll make sure to have subs or will download SRT for them via Emby.

I bet a lot of other primary English speakers are in a similar situation.
I'm most interested in reading how the non native English speaker handles this.

EDIT: for these movies I will also edit Emby's meta-data if needed to also have the "Original title:" as well for searching but usually this is done via meta-data providers.

Edited by cayars

vdatanet

Perhaps the question should be more generic:

Do you rename movie titles that are not in your native language to your native language?

In that case my answer is yes. Title is always in my native language, although sometimes the translation is horrible:

46651436_Capturadepantalla2021-05-25123010.jpg.6b7274749a59f7ce2cf1656b69502c0a.jpg

Con faldas y a lo loco = Wearing skirts and doing the crazy thing. Nothing to do with Some like it hot.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

adamstewiegreen

Short answer:  I use whatever is common usage. 

Long answer:  I watch a lot of foreign (i.e. non-English) movies and there is nearly always a conventional or common title under which the movie is known in English, even if it's a transliteration of the foreign name - or even just the foreign title.   So there are movies like Der Himmel über Berlin which is literally The Sky over Berlin but I've only ever seen the movie - in English - called Wings of Desire.  Then there are movies like "Yojimbo" or "Le Plaisir" or "Kagemusha" which I've never seen called anything but the non-English title.

Deathsquirrel

I will generally call the movie whatever it's called by the metadata provider when browsing in English.  I will occasionally edit a title if I tend to refer to it by something different though, assuming I have a movie poster that matches my preferred naming.