m3u - multiple credentials

horstepipe

I get both sets of lists even with a tag restriction in place. Do you get both lists with a tag restriction in place?

• 2 years later...

Very late to this topic, but came across it looking for similar info. I wonder if having the ability to restrict an .m3u file to certain users would be another way to go about this. If multiple m3u's are supported, one could just name the m3u to match the user - no need to add tags.

On 9/12/2023 at 10:01 AM, utiac said:

Very late to this topic, but came across it looking for similar info. I wonder if having the ability to restrict an .m3u file to certain users would be another way to go about this. If multiple m3u's are supported, one could just name the m3u to match the user - no need to add tags.

Hi, yes I would expect that we'll have that feature in future updates. Thanks.

scott46953

I realize this is an older topic, however... I have noticed after updating my m3u iptv files lately some previous bugs that I forgot about...

Years ago, i used m3u file with channel numbers ranging from 100 to 1000.  When making a new m3u file with the old channels numbers not currently being used I get

some very weird outcome...  Some of the previous information seems to have stuck and now covers up my new information from my new m3u channel list.

This is why i have just previously just raised my channel numbers to a new and never used channel numbers,  but this is now resulting in my channel numbers now in 20,000 range.

known issues i noticed in the problem when reusing old channel numbers was...

Older logos showing stating the channel is ABCs but currently the channel is nfls,  manually changing hundreds of logos takes to much time, instead easier to change to new unused channel numbers with external editor and then resubmit to emby.

Today i noticed emby has skipped channel numbers from my m3u file.  Realizing the previous years of bugs and work arounds, i looked into why...

emby seems to skip channels that already has a channel programmed using the TVG-id.  So I remembered years ago when I seen an m3u file with multiple channel streams.

If a stream is full or does not connect it would go onto the next link.

the m3u file looked like this....  example only...

#EXTM3U

#EXTINF:0 CUID="24" tvg-chno="5323" tvg-name="Cart Network HD VIP US" tvg-id="CartNetworkEast.us" tvg-logo="https://logo.u7u.com/cartnetwork.png" group-title="United States VIP",Cart Network HD VIP US
http://testx123.xyz:8080/abcde/fghijklm/897414

http://testx456.xyz:8080/abcde/fghijklm/897574

and keeps adding more links if needed...

then starting the next channel line

My question is... is emby eating the channels that it is skipping as duplicates using the TVG-id?  or is it saving the extra m3u links and stacking the links as more sources

for the same channel if the channel does not connect?  is it building its own m3u type system simlar to the stackable m3u links?

I remember testing a stackable m3u link file years ago, but i believe emby did not read the remaining links and discarded the extras.

This bringing up the number of connections on each m3u file.   is my #1 m3u has only 2 connections, but my #2 m3u has 2 connections.  emby finds similar channels between

the 2 m3u files and now removes the doubled channels but then adds more connections to those channels??? since now there are more links with connections... or does it just waste the double channels????

no updates to this topic for awhile,,, but should i just keep removing m3u files and going higher on channel numbers?  when do I run out of channel numbers??? 65565?

thanks for reading... hoping i removed personal info and links so everything is invalid while keeping important information in tact.

• 4 weeks later...

@scott46953the duplicates are discarded but we plan to provide more control over this in future updates.

There's no limit on how high your channel numbers can go. In fact, you don't even really need them if they're meaningless. Does this answer your questions?

Thanks.

warrentc3
On 10/14/2023 at 1:50 AM, Luke said:

@scott46953the duplicates are discarded but we plan to provide more control over this in future updates.

There's no limit on how high your channel numbers can go. In fact, you don't even really need them if they're meaningless. Does this answer your questions?

Thanks.

are they meaningless to your DVR schedule if you have one channel specified and that channel has it’s tvg-chno change at the source, even though tvg-id and tvg-name are unchanged?  

my experience has been that emby throws the baby out with the bath water if there’s the slightest change with source. 

2 hours ago, warrentc3 said:

are they meaningless to your DVR schedule if you have one channel specified and that channel has it’s tvg-chno change at the source, even though tvg-id and tvg-name are unchanged?  

my experience has been that emby throws the baby out with the bath water if there’s the slightest change with source. 

A channel number change shouldn't matter.

• 5 weeks later...
scott46953

I need the channel bug fixed.  I'm tired of not being about to re-use my older channel numbers....

I want to reset the complete channel number issue and I can not do it.

I want to redo all my channels and make them in a nice sort order and cant do it.  instead i have 3 iptv providers with channel numbers scattered

and a scroll forever guide/ channel list and i have to search for all my channels....

I do not want channel 45,663 for my newsmax channel.  Some may not use channel numbers.. but a greater number of people say they do, including me.

I want my newsmax to be on a normal number of my choice programmed by the m3u file without old data showing up messing all the channels up.

to fix this i have to fresh install emby and start over??  i should not have to do that...

Edited by scott46953

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2023 at 12:59 AM, scott46953 said:

I need the channel bug fixed.  I'm tired of not being about to re-use my older channel numbers....

I want to reset the complete channel number issue and I can not do it.

I want to redo all my channels and make them in a nice sort order and cant do it.  instead i have 3 iptv providers with channel numbers scattered

and a scroll forever guide/ channel list and i have to search for all my channels....

I do not want channel 45,663 for my newsmax channel.  Some may not use channel numbers.. but a greater number of people say they do, including me.

I want my newsmax to be on a normal number of my choice programmed by the m3u file without old data showing up messing all the channels up.

to fix this i have to fresh install emby and start over??  i should not have to do that...

@scott46953why exactly do you have to remove and re-add the whole thing?

scott46953

I can't, because every time I do and try to make channels normal numbers, I get old logos and wrong Channel names from a previous channel list that I had years ago, none of the channels are matching the m3u links, that's why I am up at such a high channel number now. I've been requesting this to be fixed for a while.. Why are we still using the original old play method? All other apps YouTube and all the free streaming apps all use and automatic speed detection and changes bit rate on the fly without noticing much on screen except for quality.  At any point in time I run out of speed due to a kid in the other room watching YouTube, and then she gets a phone call on her iPhone video chat, then my TV buffers, buffer buffer, and then I got to manually select a lower bit rate manually.. my server is not located locally it's across town where the antenna towers installed where I got two quad tuners for a total of eight including three IPTV providers paid.  But what I'd like to do is consolidate my channels, take my duplicate channels and include them as backup links in my m3u, so if one doesn't work it goes and continues on to the next, if one drops out during a recording it should go on to the next link and keep recording... However I should be able to at any point in time remove all my m3u files or links add them back with new channel numbers specified and be able to have CNN on channel 200 with four supplied IPTV links, if one doesn't work it should go on to the next. The logo should be with the channel number what is listed in the m3u file, not some old information from 2 to 3 years ago...

If I need to manually delete something in one of my emby folders, just let me know, I am good with a quick fix until the problem gets resolved later.. but having to actually sit down,, and spend hours starting over with a fresh install emby, just does not fit my time schedule.

I was able to create a DTV file xml to add to the m3u editor so it would detect most of the channels and add DTV channel guide directly from the emby dtv guide.