Release Date vs. Year when sorting

ke2083

ke2083

Hi!

This might be a little esoteric - I have a big collection of films and particularly some of the older/more obscure ones just don't have a release date. Only a year. For example, a movie.nfo will look like this:

<movie>
  <title>Rabbit Fire</title>
  <originaltitle>Rabbit Fire</originaltitle>
  <year>1951</year>
  <premiered />

This messes up the display when I want to sort by Date. My only on-screen option is to choose 'Release Date' and it'll sort anything with a release/premiered attribute perfectly... but everything else it just lumps together. Things from the 1920s mingling with obscure stuff from the 1990s.

Now, is there a way I can re-map 'Release Date' to just look at the 'Year' attribute, or to use Year as a fall-back for when release/premiered aren't populated?

My alternative would be to do something script-y to try to automate updating all the nfo files so that if there's no release date, then write a Release Date based on to 01-01-{year}.

I'm using tinyMediaManager to handle the nfo files.

Thanks loads and I appreciate your advice. Emby is a brilliant media manager and I really enjoy using it.

• Agree 1

Just a hint but you'll likely get better info for this as a TV Series
image.thumb.png.21c7e31ba3a77518205a389f2a06df31.png

ke2083
50 minutes ago, cayars said:

Just a hint but you'll likely get better info for this as a TV Series
image.thumb.png.21c7e31ba3a77518205a389f2a06df31.png

Thanks - that’s my fault, Rabbit Fire is a contrived example I made up. I actually do have a premier/release date for that so it sorts correctly.

It’s more obscure/older theatrical shorts (eg Bosco, Leon Schlesinger, Walter Lantz) that are causing problems. In those cases organising them into Seasons won’t bring down any more information than I already have 🤷‍♀️

thanks you though.

• Like 1