"Continue watching" endless loading

Super1
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

Super1

Hello

I am having trouble with "Continue watching" feature. Videos are shown but when played it goes into endless loading. Even if i am on LAN. It used to work but not anymore. 

If i delete the video from the "Continue watching" list and play it from beginning it works.

Also i am using android app from playstore and the internal video player crashes the app completely. If i use external player the app works perfectly but then the "Continue watching" feature doesnt "remember" what i have been watching. 

"Continue watching" feature is my favourite feature in emby. I hope you get back to me soon. Thank you

Hi, Have you done a full library scan since installing the new version?

Could you give this a try and let us know if this works correctly after doing that?

If not upload your server.log so we can take a look.

Super1

I have now done a complete scan and the "Continue watching" feature is still not working. The feature works when an episode starts at a beginning and even starts again if i go to the emby library in the middle and back again but stops working if i close the browser and open it again. After closing it doesnt work locally nor remotly. 

Any help will be appreciated

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-64446fcd-889e-4fe6-99b8-e362453a287d_1.txt

Edited by Super1

Have you tried this with brand new media that isn't already in the continue watching row?

Could you try this then upload the server log and also let us know what you tried to play.

Super1

Oh great. It started working. It must have been the new server update. Thank you. 

But the app internal player still doesn't work. I have sent screenshot. Beta version of the app doesnt even get me in the server. 

Screenshot_20210528-200647_Emby.jpg

Was an ffmpeg log generated for that media playback?
If so please post it.

Super1
9 hours ago, cayars said:

Was an ffmpeg log generated for that media playback?
If so please post it.

It wasn't.

External player option works great but if used then the "Continue watching" feature doesn' t

Edited by Super1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2021 at 2:08 PM, Super1 said:

Oh great. It started working. It must have been the new server update. Thank you. 

But the app internal player still doesn't work. I have sent screenshot. Beta version of the app doesnt even get me in the server. 

Screenshot_20210528-200647_Emby.jpg

Hi there, please attach the emby server log from this attempt. thanks.

Super1
18 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, please attach the emby server log from this attempt. thanks.

I tried to play video 1.6. At 13.05 three times. 

embyserver.txt

Hi could you turn off debug logging and also turn off automattic port mapping in network menu.
That will help make your logs much easier without the "noise" those two options generate.

Could you rotate your log file from scheduled tasks and then try this video playback only once?
Upload the server log and any ffmpeg log generated for this one retry.

Thanks

Super1
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Hi could you turn off debug logging and also turn off automattic port mapping in network menu.
That will help make your logs much easier without the "noise" those two options generate.

Could you rotate your log file from scheduled tasks and then try this video playback only once?
Upload the server log and any ffmpeg log generated for this one retry.

Thanks

I turned off debug logging and auto port mapping. Rotated logs and played once. There were no ffmpeg generated. 

embyserver.txt

• Solution

image.png.27b9f370eb9b7c2dbe0d16a98aef3851.png

It's possilbe this is related to an invalide/non trusted cert.

Could you try this with a non SSL port such as 8096 and see if things work properly?

Super1
11 hours ago, cayars said:

image.png.27b9f370eb9b7c2dbe0d16a98aef3851.png

It's possilbe this is related to an invalide/non trusted cert.

Could you try this with a non SSL port such as 8096 and see if things work properly?

Ok i have put local and remote port to 8096 and disabled secure connection. After that i have tried to connect remotly via browser and after with app (uploaded file). Both times i couldnt even get to the library. It seems that after i disabled secure connection (https) and used http it redirected to https which doesnt exist anymore coz i have disabled it. How do i stop redirections? 

The cert was made by me. Are you saying i cant use https with my cert because it will stop internal player from working? Because i can get in to the library with it so connection is ok no?

embyserver(3).txt

Happy2Play

What is your "Secure connection mode:" set to? Dashboard-Network

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Super1 said:

The cert was made by me. Are you saying i cant use https with my cert because it will stop internal player from working? Because i can get in to the library with it so connection is ok no?

The problem with self generated certs is that you have to manually add these to different computers. When you start getting to devices and apps that want things to work by the book and don't have a way for you to add your own cert it causes issues (as it should). These devices have no way to know you created the cert because it can't verify the source of the cert as you aren't a root supplier of SSL certs or have any chain of custody that can be looked up to check.

Super1
5 hours ago, cayars said:

The problem with self generated certs is that you have to manually add these to different computers. When you start getting to devices and apps that want things to work by the book and don't have a way for you to add your own cert it causes issues (as it should). These devices have no way to know you created the cert because it can't verify the source of the cert as you aren't a root supplier of SSL certs or have any chain of custody that can be looked up to check.

But when i login to app it asks me if i trust the cert and i confirm  (attachment). Isnt that enough to make it work? 

Screenshot_20210602-202348_Emby.jpg

Super1
7 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

What is your "Secure connection mode:" set to? Dashboard-Network

Disabled

2 hours ago, Super1 said:

But when i login to app it asks me if i trust the cert and i confirm  (attachment). Isnt that enough to make it work? 

Probably not.  You will likely get text and things but images and videos still might not work because the different libraries used still might not support unauthenticated root certificates. You may be able to get it to work on one platform but not another.

But you can get free legit certs so there is no point is messing with self signed certs!

Super1
7 hours ago, cayars said:

Probably not.  You will likely get text and things but images and videos still might not work because the different libraries used still might not support unauthenticated root certificates. You may be able to get it to work on one platform but not another.

But you can get free legit certs so there is no point is messing with self signed certs!

Ok thanks i try and find legit free cert

• Like 1

Super1
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

Ok great the app internal player works if i disable my cert. So all problems solved. 

I was hoping if you could forward me to a report on how to implement legit cert to emby. I ve been tring to use certbot but i cant get through http-01 challenges

On 6/2/2021 at 2:25 PM, Super1 said:

Screenshot_20210602-202348_Emby.jpg

It should be, yes. Can you please attach the android app log,?

• Thanks 1

Super1
On 6/4/2021 at 6:40 AM, Luke said:

It should be, yes. Can you please attach the android app log,?

I have put back my own cert and reset the app. Log in to server from android app confirmed the unverified cert and played video with internal video player. It put out playback error with no compatible streams. 

Please make it work. I have made my dns with duck dns but i cant get legit cert to work with either zerossl nor letsencrypt

f16ed4cf-c427-44f2-ad4b-6d4c2e2e26a6.log