 M1

MyTheater

ellisd4
18 minutes ago, Felipe Baez said:

Just to be clear here with information that's a fact and not speculation. Apple does NOT limit the usage of hardware encoder and decoder on Macs and is up to developers to use them or not. There's no limitation on the Apple framework for hardware encoding and decoding.

Furthermore, with the latest update of Ventura, applications like FCP are now seeing a 3x to 4x increase in encoding speed.

Oh absolutely. To clarify I meant that Emby may not support hw transcoding on Mac. I know hw transcoding is supported as Plex and Handbrake do it. 

• Agree 1

rkkeller

How can I make Emby start automatically when I restart the Mini?  I dont think it did the other day and I had to go back and start it manually.

ellisd4
1 hour ago, rkkeller said:

How can I make Emby start automatically when I restart the Mini?  I dont think it did the other day and I had to go back and start it manually.

I think the beta doesn’t start automatically. I’ve had to start manually on each reboot. You could add it to login items in system settings. 

On macos we've actually never added anything related to this, so the non m1 doesn't have any autostart feature either. You still might be able to set something up in macos though 

rkkeller

I am also missing a lot of thumbnails and many images are just black until I click on them.  They show fine once I click, but hard to figure out what they are of with no thumbnail.

I did rerun refresh metadata and rescanned a few times.  A lot of my items look like this attachment.

image.thumb.png.8c76fd7729aa31a65e746f00e056e7c2.png

• Agree 1

rkkeller

Sorry for creating another topic, I only wanted to keep this separate in case anyone else had similar problems.

I use a Samsung 4k with Tizen OS with Emby in the bedroom and the "first use" of Emby every morning, might be a M1 Mini setting or Samsung issue I need to find, Emby has a problem starting and I can usually get to the home screen with some fussing but nothing will show in any section and nothing will play. If I go to the Mini and start a browser then it will work fine.

Not sure if "my" issue or a Emby beta problem so wanted to ask about it.

rkkeller

Can you downgrade to the non Beta as I am having all kinds of issues, things not showing, things not playing and close to unusable sometimes.  IT took 19 minutes this morning to attempt to watch a couple short security videos, then right after I watched them, they vanished or would not play again.  This is not going well unless these are all my issues, thinking of trying Plex hate to say it,  as I need something that works.  I have thousands of video clips and can't see what any of them even are, they are all blank.

rkkeller

Can someone please let me know if they have a "100% fully functional"  M1 Mac version that has thumbnails for EVERYTHING and things work like they should.  Right now I can't play a single video at all, I am getting "too many errors, giving up" message on every video I try to play.  I might just give up on this and get my Windows computer out of the basement as I know at least that worked.  Even on videos I played before on other days.

Edited by rkkeller

18 minutes ago, rkkeller said:

Can someone please let me know if they have a "100% fully functional"  M1 Mac version that has thumbnails for EVERYTHING and things work like they should.  Right now I can't play a single video at all, I am getting "too many errors, giving up" message on every video I try to play.  I might just give up on this and get my Windows computer out of the basement as I know at least that worked.  Even on videos I played before on other days.

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

rkkeller
On 11/1/2022 at 12:08 PM, Luke said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

I am getting "too many errors, giving up" message on every video I try to play on every device except Safari that is attached to the server itself on the M1 Mini.  As for the logs, I am not a techie and read what it said and still have no idea what tho send you.  😆

9 minutes ago, rkkeller said:

I am getting "too many errors, giving up" message on every video I try to play on every device except Safari that is attached to the server itself on the M1 Mini.  As for the logs, I am not a techie and read what it said and still have no idea what tho send you.  😆

• Please attach the server log from the time frame the activity occurred. See the section below titled Emby Server Logs. Please supply the full and complete log file, and avoid attempting to extract relevant sections. Everything is relevant to us. If a server transcoding log was also generated during playback (in the server logs folder), please attach that as well.

rkkeller
4 hours ago, Luke said:
  • Please attach the server log from the time frame the activity occurred. See the section below titled Emby Server Logs. Please supply the full and complete log file, and avoid attempting to extract relevant sections. Everything is relevant to us. If a server transcoding log was also generated during playback (in the server logs folder), please attach that as well.

This is one, but it happens all the time now except on the M1 Mini which is also the server.

embyserver.txt

rkkeller

I think something I did removed the Emby server as I can't find it anywhere. I did remove the external SSD to "temporarily" put on my old Windows Emby as that is working better.  Then I ran some clean up utility like Clean my Mac X or something like that and no more Emby server.  I did not try to reinstall yet as mine was hardly working at all, so maybe after a fix or update comes out I will try again. 

iosidapple

I downloaded "macOS 10.14+ ARM64 (M1, M2)" for my M1 Mac Mini. Extracted the zip file and placed it into my Applications folder. When I double clock on it it asked me if I wanted to open it, I chose "Open", and nothing happened from there. The app did not launch. I tried it multiple times. I even tried to open it from the desktop. Nothing. Then I downloaded "macOS 10.14+ X64", and it worked flawlessly ... but it's running under Rosetta. How can I get the native app to work on M1? I'm on the latest MacOS version (Ventura).

7 minutes ago, iosidapple said:

I downloaded "macOS 10.14+ ARM64 (M1, M2)" for my M1 Mac Mini. Extracted the zip file and placed it into my Applications folder. When I double clock on it it asked me if I wanted to open it, I chose "Open", and nothing happened from there. The app did not launch. I tried it multiple times. I even tried to open it from the desktop. Nothing. Then I downloaded "macOS 10.14+ X64", and it worked flawlessly ... but it's running under Rosetta. How can I get the native app to work on M1? I'm on the latest MacOS version (Ventura).

You can't double click to open it, you have to open it the way it is described on the server download page 

• Like 1

ellisd4
On 10/26/2022 at 9:13 AM, ellisd4 said:

Oh absolutely. To clarify I meant that Emby may not support hw transcoding on Mac. I know hw transcoding is supported as Plex and Handbrake do it. 

@Luke Are you able to confirm if Emby supports HW Transcoding on MacOS (either Intel or ARM architecture)?  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2022 at 1:05 AM, ellisd4 said:

@Luke Are you able to confirm if Emby supports HW Transcoding on MacOS (either Intel or ARM architecture)?  Thanks!

It's in it's early stages. We do have some work to do with videotoolbox.

• Thanks 1

ellisd4

Does anyone happen to have the 4.8.13 release available?  I can no longer access it on GH and I just rebuilt my machine. :) I don't know the differences in that and 4.7.9, but I always want the latest. 

OR.... @Luke a later version would do :D 

On 11/18/2022 at 7:34 PM, ellisd4 said:

Does anyone happen to have the 4.8.13 release available?  I can no longer access it on GH and I just rebuilt my machine. :) I don't know the differences in that and 4.7.9, but I always want the latest. 

OR.... @Luke a later version would do :D 

Hi, I'll try to get a new mac beta up soon, but the 4.7 stable release has all  of the same M1-specific changes.

• Like 1

ellisd4
On 11/20/2022 at 12:32 PM, Luke said:

Hi, I'll try to get a new mac beta up soon, but the 4.7 stable release has all  of the same M1-specific changes.

Thanks!  I actually just got rid of my M1 and have gone all Windows. 🤣

• Like 1

rkkeller
1 hour ago, ellisd4 said:

Thanks!  I actually just got rid of my M1 and have gone all Windows. 🤣

Funny you say that, as I am starting to get rid of my AppleTV devices for the TV and switch to the new FireTV Cubes. The new 2022 Cube just came a few minutes ago and seems nice. I like Apple of course, just so limited and I can get 100x more apps and things on FireTV/Android devices.  That started me thinking, maybe look into switching back to a PC too as I do have an older i7 16gb All In One I am running Emby on now, I only need to switch my externals to the AIO and my backups are on iCloud and can just install that on the Windows computer.  Probably not going to do it right away though.