 M1

MyTheater

MyTheater

Hi, 

Do you have any estimated time for Emby server M1 Support ? 

We wouldlike to order dedicated mac only for this for my friends and myself but don't want order it if not fully optimized.

and less important but will you propose emby client app in Mac AppStore with Siri integration for search and indexing result in macOS ? Maybe widget with "what's next ?", "continue this program" or maybe "futur recording" just to give quick info without opening app. 

Have a good day.

Hi there, yes Emby Server already supports running on an m1 mac. We already have a client in the app store:

https://emby.media/emby-theater-macos.html

We have basic Siri support and are adding to it with each new update to the macOS app. For widgets, yes, I think that would be a great idea for us to do.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, bretswinney said:

What about Mac OS server support For M1?

Hi, it's already supported. Have you tried it?

bretswinney
9 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, it's already supported. Have you tried it?

I have it installed I was just checking to see if it was fully M1 supported & not just using rosetta

4 minutes ago, bretswinney said:

I have it installed I was just checking to see if it was fully M1 supported & not just using rosetta

.NET core apps, which Emby Server is, run under Rosetta, however, the upcoming .NET 6 will support Rosetta 2 as well as native arm64 targeting. So we'll be playing with that once it is available and stable. Thanks.

• Like 1

bretswinney
42 minutes ago, Luke said:

.NET core apps, which Emby Server is, run under Rosetta, however, the upcoming .NET 6 will support Rosetta 2 as well as native arm64 targeting. So we'll be playing with that once it is available and stable. Thanks.

Awesome thanks for the info.  I am migrating my emby server over to a M1 mac mini & will leave the files over on my windows server.  I really like the responsiveness of it.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

hi,In have M1Macmini,When M1 macmini is used as an emby server server, it is unstable, and the server will be lost in a few hours. It needs to shut down the process repeatedly and restart. At present, it does not support GPU hardware accelerated encoding and decoding

12 hours ago, 高飞 said:

hi,In have M1Macmini,When M1 macmini is used as an emby server server, it is unstable, and the server will be lost in a few hours. It needs to shut down the process repeatedly and restart. At present, it does not support GPU hardware accelerated encoding and decoding

HI there, please attach the emby server log from when this happened.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
escalinci

Emby works great on my M1 mac (but I'm not doing anything terribly complicated with it, just streaming stuff to my LG tv without any re-encoding going on).

However, as with anything that's left running in the background, an apple silicon binary would be very nice, to use fewer system resources.

• 2 weeks later...
kmeyerson

Would you say this is stable enough for a 2 - user house hold? We do not stream THAT often, but its running on a 24/7 home server.  I currently use a QNAP and can't really justify the power draw when an external disk and M1 Mini would do.

What specs is your Mini?

Edited by kmeyerson
Removing erroneous wattage.

3 hours ago, kmeyerson said:

Would you say this is stable enough for a 2 - user house hold? We do not stream THAT often, but its running on a 24/7 home server.  I currently use a QNAP and can't really justify the power draw when an external disk and M1 Mini would do.

What specs is your Mini?

Hi, yes, for a two user household it will be more than enough.

bretswinney
On 11/7/2021 at 3:53 AM, escalinci said:

Emby works great on my M1 mac (but I'm not doing anything terribly complicated with it, just streaming stuff to my LG tv without any re-encoding going on).

However, as with anything that's left running in the background, an apple silicon binary would be very nice, to use fewer system resources.

Agreed!

The new .NET Core 6.0 allows apps to be built to the native m1 architecture. Emby Server 4.7 has updated to .NET Core 6.0, so we'll try to look at this for the 4.7 release. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
Bill LeDuc

The original question for this topic was:

"Do you have any estimated time for Emby server M1 Support ?  We would like to order dedicated mac only for this for my friends and myself but don't want order it if not fully optimized."

You are dependent on .Net 6 with support for Apple silicon to fully optimize Emby. I'm not talking about support for Rosetta 2, but native support.

I'm considering using a MacMini with a M1 processor to run Emby server. I would like to see Emby server running natively on M1 before I do that. 

.Net 6 with native support for M1 is now available. Do you have an idea when Emby server will support Mi natively?

10 minutes ago, Bill LeDuc said:

The original question for this topic was:

"Do you have any estimated time for Emby server M1 Support ?  We would like to order dedicated mac only for this for my friends and myself but don't want order it if not fully optimized."

You are dependent on .Net 6 with support for Apple silicon to fully optimize Emby. I'm not talking about support for Rosetta 2, but native support.

I'm considering using a MacMini with a M1 processor to run Emby server. I would like to see Emby server running natively on M1 before I do that. 

.Net 6 with native support for M1 is now available. Do you have an idea when Emby server will support Mi natively?

HI, hopefully with the upcoming 4.7 server release.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, anyone having a Mac mini m1 might have the ability and kindness to share the transcoding capabilities ?

What does it take to put the M1 to his knees ? I'm currently in the process of switching my server to something using less watts but I'm not sure the M1 is the perfect match as I don't see any tone mapping done in hardware, am I right ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 7:21 AM, ppogorze said:

@bretswinneyI see that 4.7 pre-release (with .Net 6 and many improvements) was released, but not for macOS (x64 or arm64) unfortunately.

@LukeAny release date?

Hopefully soon. Thanks.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
AHrubik
On 3/1/2022 at 8:57 AM, Luke said:

Hopefully soon. Thanks.

Awesome. I'm interested in seeing what the Apple "M" series APU is capable of for transcoding support. Mac Mini might end up being one a hell of media server.

Edited by AHrubik
  • Thanks 1

MyTheater

Ok now i'm sure, Mac Studio with M1 ULTRA will be the best server for my Emby. I hope so will be fully optimized for Apple Silicon architecture from "end to end".

• Like 1