 M1

MyTheater

ellisd4
28 minutes ago, rkkeller said:

Funny you say that, as I am starting to get rid of my AppleTV devices for the TV and switch to the new FireTV Cubes. The new 2022 Cube just came a few minutes ago and seems nice. I like Apple of course, just so limited and I can get 100x more apps and things on FireTV/Android devices.  That started me thinking, maybe look into switching back to a PC too as I do have an older i7 16gb All In One I am running Emby on now, I only need to switch my externals to the AIO and my backups are on iCloud and can just install that on the Windows computer.  Probably not going to do it right away though.

Let me know how you like the firetv. I forgot my travel Roku at home a few weeks to and got one at Best Buy for $14.99. I really liked the features not on appletv, like intro skip, but didn’t really play around with it too much other than just turning something on for my kids. 

10 minutes ago, neptunepic said:

@Luke Is the current stable MacOS version native for Apple Silicon?

Yes but doesn't have the tray icon yet. That's on the to do list. Other than that it's same server, but compiled specifically for the architecture.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DarS23 said:

@Luke Don't know if it's only me, but Webhooks doesn't seems to work for me. When I click the + Add Webhook button, nothing is happening. 

Hi, yes it's an issue in Safari. We're looking into it. Thanks.

rkkeller

Sorry to disappear for a bit. 😀  I got a Win 11 Pro computer on the holiday sales for 50% off and it had Plex on it.  I know Emby is an offshoot of Plex, but what are the differences and is it worth removing the Plex Server already setup to switch to Emby or just use what is there?  I am a fully paid Emby user, so not a troll, just thinking maybe use Plex as it is already there and mostly the same I think???? 

ellisd4
3 hours ago, rkkeller said:

Sorry to disappear for a bit. 😀  I got a Win 11 Pro computer on the holiday sales for 50% off and it had Plex on it.  I know Emby is an offshoot of Plex, but what are the differences and is it worth removing the Plex Server already setup to switch to Emby or just use what is there?  I am a fully paid Emby user, so not a troll, just thinking maybe use Plex as it is already there and mostly the same I think???? 

I run both plex and Emby. I purchased a new win11 machine a few weeks ago as well. The way Emby, and plex, run on windows is a night and day difference to me, specifically around transcoding. I’m waiting for a few more features/kinks to be worked out in Emby before making the full switch but my family actually uses Emby where they complained plex was hard to use. 

Few (can’t list them all) things I like about Emby:

1) Tagging. This is sooo easy, especially with the bulk editor tool available, and expands access/library customization exponentially. 
2) live tv support. Plex is clunky in this area and doesn’t support m3u lists. I plug in my tv provider (YTTV) in channels dvr and use it right in Emby. Recording and all. Family loves the all in one interface. 
3) External access. When playing across the wan Emby seems smooth compared to plex constantly buffering. I do have slow upload speeds but Emby seems to handle that better. 
4) Developer and community support. Plex has a ton of forums and communities out there but the devs here are on it. Never make you feel dumb for asking a question or reporting an issue and are always providing feedback on feature requests. Plex just doesn’t do this and the communities out there are just snarky and not helpful. 
5) Plug-in support. Expands customization and capabilities. Nuff said. 

Each piece of software provides essentially the same functionality, but each person is different in what they like. I suggest you give Emby an install and try it out for yourself on your new machine. Both services have low impact on resources, unless you are running transcodes through them (after the initial library scan that is). 

Edited by ellisd4
Add #5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know of a way to get Emby on an iPad to wake a sleeping M1? Plex can do it but I much prefer Emby. I’ve even used Plex to wake the Mac and then switch to Emby but the Mac will go back to sleep if I use Emby for more than a few minutes. Any ideas would be appreciated!

On 2/10/2023 at 10:35 PM, Dx11 said:

Does anyone know of a way to get Emby on an iPad to wake a sleeping M1? Plex can do it but I much prefer Emby. I’ve even used Plex to wake the Mac and then switch to Emby but the Mac will go back to sleep if I use Emby for more than a few minutes. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Hi, is this inside the same local network as the server?

16 hours ago, Dx11 said:

Hi, Luke. Yes, I do have it enabled.

Strange. Will give it a retest but we have already implemented the ability to keep the machine awake while the server is in use.

2 hours ago, Luke said:

Strange. Will give it a retest but we have already implemented the ability to keep the machine awake while the server is in use.

Interesting. Thank you for checking. 

3 hours ago, Luke said:

Here’s the example:

emby server is running. iPad app is able to connect. Put Mac to sleep. Open emby on iPad. Blue circle trying to connect. Blue circle stops spinning and I’m asked which server to connect to. I choose my one and only server. Then I get the message:

Connection Failure

We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again

16 hours ago, Dx11 said:

Here’s the example:

emby server is running. iPad app is able to connect. Put Mac to sleep. Open emby on iPad. Blue circle trying to connect. Blue circle stops spinning and I’m asked which server to connect to. I choose my one and only server. Then I get the message:

Connection Failure

We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again

The context menu for each server has a Wake Server option.

BBQThunder

Hello, I did a search and tried to RTFM before posting here.  Is there a rough ETA on when the M1/M2 chips will be fully supported for HW encode/decode?

I notice there is a H.264 encoder in the server config.  I haven't seen it get used yet in the dashboard view or when looking at the Activity Monitor I don't see ffmpeg using the GPU.

On 2/15/2023 at 11:32 PM, BBQThunder said:

Hello, I did a search and tried to RTFM before posting here.  Is there a rough ETA on when the M1/M2 chips will be fully supported for HW encode/decode?

I notice there is a H.264 encoder in the server config.  I haven't seen it get used yet in the dashboard view or when looking at the Activity Monitor I don't see ffmpeg using the GPU.

Hi, we are working on it. Hopefully we'll have more info for you soon.

On 2/15/2023 at 10:52 AM, Luke said:

The context menu for each server has a Wake Server option.

Is this context menu effective somewhere in the Mac OS or the Emby dashboard? I’ve looked in both wherever I can find a server but I cannot bring up a context (right click) menu that has a Wake Server option. Thank you

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, Dx11 said:

or the Emby dashboard?

Not sure what do you mean by that. You can Wake server only from Select Server screen. 

53 minutes ago, Dx11 said:

Is this context menu effective somewhere in the Mac OS or the Emby dashboard? I’ve looked in both wherever I can find a server but I cannot bring up a context (right click) menu that has a Wake Server option. Thank you

On the server selection screen in the app that you're connecting from (android/ios).

On 2/24/2023 at 8:06 PM, Luke said:

On the server selection screen in the app that you're connecting from (android/ios).

Got it! Thank you. I wasn’t aware you could long press on the server icon in the iOS app and get a context menu.

It does wake the server. However, the server is only available for appx. 1-2 minutes and then playback freezes. I then have to quit the emby iOS app and reopen. It wakes the server automatically without giving me the opportunity to long press the server and choose wake, which is nice. But, then it only runs for 1-2 minutes and playback freezes again. 

2 hours ago, Dx11 said:

Got it! Thank you. I wasn’t aware you could long press on the server icon in the iOS app and get a context menu.

It does wake the server. However, the server is only available for appx. 1-2 minutes and then playback freezes. I then have to quit the emby iOS app and reopen. It wakes the server automatically without giving me the opportunity to long press the server and choose wake, which is nice. But, then it only runs for 1-2 minutes and playback freezes again. 

Are you saying the server goes to sleep?