confused about DTS / Samsung / and embys capabilities

Frogokhor

Frogokhor

Ive been reading about transcoding and direct play since getting my new Samsung TV and have read conflicting things.

Basically ive read a majority of Samsung TVs cant play DTS audio (and a lot of other formats), im just confused as to Embys capabilities of getting these formats to play. From what ive read im under the assumption that if my TV wont play it, emby will transcode it ? Is there anything I have to enable for this to work because while using emby everything 'works' as if Im playing it off a directly tv connected HDD (i.e same files will work and not work). Also read that my computer needs sufficient power to do this in real time and im sure it does. 

Anything im missing ? because I really dont want to convert so many files to playable formats manually (i.e 1/3rd of my media collection)

THanks

Edited by Frogokhor
spelling

vdatanet

When the audio is not supported, a full transcoding is not required, the audio track is simply converted on the fly to a supported format, in an operation named remux. Remuxing requires very little server power. What can happen, when remuxing HEVC HDR, green artifacts may appear in the image, it's a current problem that I assume it will be fixed sooner or later.

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

Frogokhor

"When the audio is not supported, a full transcoding is not required, the audio track is simply converted on the fly to a supported format"

this bit is not happening ?

The video in this instance is fine the TV just refuses to play the DTS audio.. What could stop the audio from being converted on the fly as you said ?

FrostByte

On the server under users profile settings you should see something like the pic below.  The one I've circled needs to be checked (then click save) in order to convert audio only.  You might also need to check the one above it if the video or subtitles need converting in addition. 

trans2.thumb.jpg.fbc542b9e1904dfef12b9682095beb2a.jpg

FrostByte

However, if that isn't checked normally a playback error pops up.

What exactly is it doing?  Is it just video and no sound, are you getting any errors, etc?

Trying bring up the OSD during playback and click the cog wheel to bring up Stats for Nerds.  It should tell you if it's direct playing, transcoding, etc

If you're still having problems please post server and transcode/remux logs along with the version of the app and model of TV

• Like 1

From what ive read im under the assumption that if my TV wont play it, emby will transcode it ? Is there anything I have to enable for this to work because while using emby everything 'works' as if Im playing it off a directly tv connected HDD (i.e same files will work and not work). 

Hi, yes that is correct, and out of the box there is nothing you need to do to make this happen, other than press play and enjoy the movie.

Frogokhor
On 5/24/2021 at 12:28 AM, FrostByte said:

However, if that isn't checked normally a playback error pops up.

What exactly is it doing?  Is it just video and no sound, are you getting any errors, etc?

Trying bring up the OSD during playback and click the cog wheel to bring up Stats for Nerds.  It should tell you if it's direct playing, transcoding, etc

If you're still having problems please post server and transcode/remux logs along with the version of the app and model of TV

Hey, thanks so far..

The box you mentioned was ticked.

What exactly is it doing ? --> (attached image shows errors) There are actually 2 errors im getting i'll explain each.

1) I open emby on my tv and attempt to play a movie (in this case I know the video works and the audio is DTS). A message pops up on the tv and says "The Audio Data is not supported"

2) If I play a file where the video data is not supported it says, "The selected file is not currently supported"

When it comes to the logs Ive attached what I can find

Samsung TU8000 75" Crystal UHD 4K Smart TV

* some additional info. I transferred the files that wouldnt play to an external HDD and tried playing them directly instead of using emby. I get the exact same errors as I do when using emby to play from the computer. All I can assume from this is emby isnt transcoding ?

image_2021-05-27_135406.png

ffmpeg-transcode-bd3fa724-69cb-4104-a41d-4d8cdf836cbd_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-a1402157-0424-47c1-ad09-dd6cf7c28852_1.txt embyserver.txt

Edited by Frogokhor
updating info

Are you using the emby app or the dlna feature? Does your TV even support DTS, because nowadays most Samsungs do not.

FrostByte

The TU8000 is from 2020 and does not support DTS so it will need to be converted

FrostByte

@Frogokhor could you post the mediainfo for each of your examples above.  Mediainfo should be at the bottom of the details page for the move(s)