Scheduled Recordings - Don't quietly cancel recordings when guide data changes the EPG in emergency programme schedule changes, have a recordings hiccups log and capability for manual recordings

unisoft

unisoft

Emby currently quietly deletes scheduled live tv recordings if it has done an EPG/Guide update and the schedule changes in the updated feed.

Often, before guide data is updated due to broadcaster emergency changes to exiting schedule, I would have recorded the original programme intended. Then the name changes for another programme and emby just forgets about it, instead of treating it as a manual recording and still recording it. It also doesn't log into a "Recording Hiccups" type log.

Emby should look at the recording time of the original programme, and then record for that amount of time and label programme accordingly such as "Manual Recording" or "Schedule change" OR, if the new programme name is just a name change in updated EPG data, but the length was the same, just change the recording name to the new updated value instead.

I've had this happen quite a few times now. A well known actor dies, or a VIP public person dies and the broadcaster makes a change and publishes a time later that day for a tribute programme or episode to be shown. If you go into the guide and select the original programme in the EPG and then add extra minutes to pad on to make the new recording length accommodate the change, it gets wiped out if there is a guide change (the guide data provider often doesn't always realise in time and sometimes they do!). It doesn't matter if the programme is still recorded under the original programme name as long as you have the recording! Most of the time, the slot is a similar duration and just the programme name changes though.

Even better would be ability to do a MANUAL recording of start and end time anyway, especially if the guide data provider doesn't update its data like it did recently for the UK and we were getting near expiry of it.......

Edited by unisoft

4 minutes ago, unisoft said:

instead of treating it as a manual recording

Since there is no such thing yet, there isn't any way for the system to do this.

unisoft
15 minutes ago, ebr said:

Since there is no such thing yet, there isn't any way for the system to do this.

I don't understand as this is a feature request for something not currently there?

1. You say you can't log recording hiccups where Emby Guide processing has cancelled programmes, or you couldn't record because server because suggested reason is a server/recording platform is off? Cable Tivo UK does this and has such a log.

2. You can't provide a manual recording capability UI so if data goes out of date or end user chooses to override any EPG data for a certain date/time/duration? A manual recording is authoritative over any EPG entry that might clash for example.

3. You have a record of an original recording set by the EPG, if that programme slot changes in an updated data feed, Emby currently just cancels the recording without logging that and doesn't honour the already scheduled recording even if that means recording it under the original programme name before the EPG data update?

Microsoft did this with Media center and TIVO on cable platforms int he UK can do this.

Edited by unisoft

Hi.  I'm just pointing out that the reason it behaves the way it does now is because it has no choice given the current system constraints.

There are lots of improvements to our DVR that we would like to accomplish and I imagine this particular one will be included when the system understands what a manual recording is (existing FR for that already).

unisoft
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I'm just pointing out that the reason it behaves the way it does now is because it has no choice given the current system constraints.

There are lots of improvements to our DVR that we would like to accomplish and I imagine this particular one will be included when the system understands what a manual recording is (existing FR for that already).

Yeah I get that :) Just a log would be nice, ability to set manual recording in case EPG goes out of date or plain wrong and for emergency schedule changes which happen here several times a year and sometimes you really want to grab a commemorative programme or episode shown.

HI, yes there is room for improvement here. Thanks for the feedback.

unisoft
19 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, yes there is room for improvement here. Thanks for the feedback.

Don't want you to think I am being negative Luke. I'm really grateful for the tv channel maintenance in 4.6.0.50 and that was a lot of work to do for the Emby team. I have re-organised my EPG and happy with that now. I merely suggest some things that already exist in other PVRs for future updates as they are current problems experienced that's all.

• 10 months later...