Difference between VA-API and QuickSync?

Beebo

Beebo

With the new Emby server release, I see that there are two options for each hardware encoder/decoder now: the existing VA-API one and a new QuickSync one.

My Emby Server runs directly in Debian on a Pentium Gold G5420, identified as Coffee Lake (gen9.5).

So what's the difference? Which one is preferred, and why? (Technical details welcome.) Is this an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" case or a "try it and see what works better/faster" deal?

TIA 🙂

mike3821

Looking at this, neither support h.265 encoding.

Am I right to think it encodes when somebody is wat Hong and showing transcoding if the source is h.265?

Beebo

If it's only encoding h.265 that's lacking on your system (but it can decode h.265, as well as transcode to h.264), then you'll be fine watching h.265 content.

Encoding to h.265 makes more sense if you want to transcode files offline (not while watching them) to save disk space.

• 3 months later...

There is no one size fits all answer, that's why you need to try them both and see what works better on your machine with the media that you play.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, horstepipe said:

so is there no general recommendation whether to choose vaapi or intel quick sync (Intel I7-4770)?

It's a Gen 4 CPU. IIRC it's too old for QuickSync.

10 hours ago, horstepipe said:

Officially, QuickSync is Intel's marketing name for video hw acceleration capabilities.

At the driver/software side, there exists VAAPI (only Linux) and Intel Media SDK (Linux and Windows) to leverage the CPUGPU's "QuickSync" video acceleration capabilities.

At the side of ffmpeg, the term VAAPI refers to VAAPI and QuickSync refers to Intel Media SDK.

At Emby, we are using the same terminology as ffmpeg. I know it can be confusing...

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
horstepipe
On 9/9/2021 at 8:43 PM, softworkz said:

Here's the right table to look at: https://github.com/Intel-Media-SDK/MediaSDK#media-sdk-support-matrix

No support for Haswell in IMSDK => no "QuickSync" support in ffmpeg and Emby

But you can use the processor's (limited set of) QuickSync capabilities through VAAPI on Linux.

hey

I'm sorry but I didn't get where to look at the tables in your referenced github page. Could you please tell me whether the i7-7700 would do Quicksync? And - if you can - would you mind give me some idea how much I'd prefer from quick sync vs vaapi?

On 1/2/2022 at 4:02 PM, horstepipe said:

I'm sorry but I didn't get where to look at the tables in your referenced github page

The table that lists Broadwell and Skylake but doesn't include Haswell - which is what I wanted to point out, sorry for the confusion.

Could you please tell me whether the i7-7700 would do Quicksync?

This is Gen7/KabyLake and it will work well with both.

And - if you can - would you mind give me some idea how much I'd prefer from quick sync vs vaapi?

This can be a bit confusing because QuickSync is Intel's marketing term for video acceleration.

There are two way to access that technology: (1) VAAPI (2) and Intel Media SDK (=MSDK, =libmfx), which is - in case of Linux - built on top of VAAPI.

In decoding, both are equal, they are different in processing (VPP) and encoding. In case of encoding, (2) provides better performance, better quality a much wider range of features and parameters.

To make the confusion complete: at the side of ffmpeg (1) is called VAAPI and (2) is called QuickSync and that's also how Emby is naming them.

• Thanks 2