Missing Map Channels function

slim0287

slim0287

I am relatively new to Emby.  I have version 4.6.0.50 running on a RPi4.  I'm using it primarily for Live TV.  I followed the setup instructions.  When I get to the Live TV Channel Mapping step (https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001848809), there is no "Map Channels" option (see screen capture).  I am using Emby Guide Data and I set my zip code and use "Local Over the Air Broadcast" as a Lineup with Enable for all tuner devices checked.  I've tried a few other Lineup choices with the same result.  I have an Emby Premier subscription and properly entered the key.  I can watch Live TV channels with no problem, there just is no guide.

Any advice?  I could add an xmltv file but from what I read, Emby Guide Data should work very well and I am getting nothing. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 12.54.15 AM.png

mark-in-dallas

Channel mapping was moved to a new tab (Channels) in a recent update.  There should be a Channels tab in the left sidebar menu, as well as at the top of the page.  From there you can map the channels, rearrange the order, change titles, guide data sources, etc

slim0287

Thank you.  I see the Channels tab both at the top of the page and left sidebar.  I also see I can rearrange the order, change titles, and so on.  It also let' me map each individual channel to guide data.  However I see nothing that allows me to have the mapping done automatically.  With 1000 channels this will take a very long time and be very frustrating.  Is there a way to have it do the entire channel list automatically?

mark-in-dallas

It is not possible to automatically map channels when using an IPTV source.  If your IPTV source provides M3U Plus functionality your best bet would be to install xTeve and run the M3U file through it, filtering out international channels and any other channels that you don't want, then importing the xTeve M3U link into Emby

gillmacca01

@mark-in-dallas, this is not true.

If you have set up the tuner as an M3U tuner, it will automatically map channels based of tvg-id numbers in the M3U file.

If there is no number assigned, then it should not auto map

slim0287

@gillmacca01

I did set up the M3U as a tuner (screenshot below).  Nothing gets mapped.  Is there a button I need to automap?  One other source of confusion for me is what I need to choose for Lineup in the Emby Guide Data.  It gives me several options ranging from Local Over The Air to DirectTV to AT&T U-Verse and so on.  

I'm looking at xTeve because it has some functionality for editing M3U Plus that I may find useful but I am primarily interested in sorting out the guide issue first.

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 6.08.13 AM.png

Edited by slim0287
Include the screenshot

gillmacca01

Does your M3U file contain this, in each channel line: tvg-id="" (might have numbers/letters between the speech marks)

slim0287

Hm.  Maybe that is an issue.  Here is a line from my m3u file:

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-ID="" tvg-name="USA: MSNBC FHD" tvg-logo="" group-title="US - News",USA: MSNBC FHD

It looks like the ID is blank and it gives the name.  Is this the issue?

The IPTV provider does give me a xmltv file which sort of works... it is just extremely incomplete.  I thought Emby Guide Data would be higher quality.

gillmacca01

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Emby requires the tvg-id to map to the correct listings.

In this case, I believe xteve will generate tvg-id's for your channels

mark-in-dallas

@gillmacca01  Technically you are right, but when using an IPTV source you would still need to edit the tvg-id fields and match them to the correct channels for an Emby Guide provider.  

Edited by mark-in-dallas

gillmacca01

That would depend how you import it into Emby and if it is a static M3U.

xteve is the best option, if your M3U file changes and does not have correct tvg-id numbers, although things have been made a lot easier in the current version of Emby.

In my case, I'm pretty much in a position where Emby does for me, what xteve does, and I now longer require xteve

slim0287

@mark-in-dallas

@gillmacca01

I really appreciate the help.  So, if I understand properly, xTeVe will generate the tvg-IDs for me.  I have one more newbie question.  Do I run xTeVe from my desktop or do I install it as an addon to the Emby server and run it there?

gillmacca01

I believe it does, but you can then assign channel numbers, to put things in the order that your want, and it is run from the desktop

There is a forum post here about it, which gives some useful information

slim0287

Thanks again.  I need to run off and take care of a few things this morning, but I will start my voyage with xTeVe a little later today.  I appreciate the help and the reference to the additional forum post.  I'm very happy to use Emby and M3U approach to Live TV because I really do prefer having better control of the data pouring into my household.

The map channels 3-dot menu option has been replaced by the new channel management tab. I would take a look at that.