Series recording for news shows

nicolasmai

nicolasmai

Hello 

I'm using the latest version 4.6.0.50.

Im not sure if its a bug or if something has changed in my epg data (using xml epg data).

I used to have series recordings for several news shows.

It was always possible to setup a series recording for these shows, for some days its not possible anymore and I have to setup a recording for each day.

image.thumb.png.06da1484b3558c0c2792a04b08b3344b.png

image.thumb.png.c3a3d060d0fa87810f78d6bc92d6fd6e.png

Edited by nicolasmai

SamES

@Luke, I'm seeing the same issue.  This started with this week release.  I'm currently on 4.6.0.48-beta

Here is a section from the guide data.  Both items would previously been flagged as a series, but now only the second one does.

I expect the lack of a SxxExx episode-num is causing an issue, although there are other <episode-num> tags so it should still flag as a series

<programme airingID="158574979" mediaID="417-0" start="20210522090000 +0000" stop="20210522093200 +0000" channel="9">
	<title lang="en">ABC News</title>
	<desc lang="en">News from where you live. ABC News brings you today's top stories, exclusive investigations and original reporting on the issues that matter to you.</desc>
	<category lang="en">News</category>
	<language lang="en">English</language>
	<icon src="http://images.icetv.com.au/9c84-fdbc-6fa7-c114.jpg" width="680" height="1000"/>
	<country lang="en">Australia</country>
	<episode-num system="thetvdb.com">series/290474</episode-num>
	<episode-num system="imdb.com">series/tt0819851</episode-num>
	<video>
		<present>yes</present>
		<colour>yes</colour>
		<aspect>16:9</aspect>
		<quality>SDTV</quality>
	</video>
	<premiere/>
	<subtitles type="teletext"/>
</programme>
<programme airingID="158574980" mediaID="44266-261300" start="20210522093200 +0000" stop="20210522102100 +0000" channel="9">
	<title lang="en">The Durrells</title>
	<sub-title lang="en">Series 2, Episode 2</sub-title>
	<desc lang="en">While Larry's literary career is now well and truly on track, his mother is concerned with the expenses of day-to-day living and busy in the kitchen producing baked goods for the market. And Leslie is considering an intoxicating business of his own.</desc>
	<credits>
		<actor>Keeley Hawes</actor>
		<actor>Josh O'Connor</actor>
		<actor>Milo Parker</actor>
		<actor>Daisy Waterstone</actor>
		<actor>Leslie Caron</actor>
		<actor>Callum Woodhouse</actor>
		<actor>Alex Georgoulis</actor>
		<actor>Yorgos Karamihos</actor>
		<actor>Anna Sacca</actor>
	</credits>
	<date>2016</date>
	<category lang="en">Drama</category>
	<language lang="en">English</language>
	<icon src="http://images.icetv.com.au/placeholder/44266_poster.png" width="1000" height="680"/>
	<country lang="en">United Kingdom</country>
	<episode-num system="SxxExx">S02</episode-num>
	<episode-num system="xmltv_ns">1..</episode-num>
	<episode-num system="thetvdb.com">series/308129</episode-num>
	<episode-num system="imdb.com">series/tt5014882</episode-num>
	<video>
		<present>yes</present>
		<colour>yes</colour>
		<aspect>4:3</aspect>
		<quality>SDTV</quality>
	</video>
	<previously-shown start="2017-10-19"/>
	<rating system="ACMA">
		<value>PG</value>
	</rating>
</programme>

nicolasmai

I've checked my guide data aswell and its kind of strange.

I checked two news shows, one is flagged as series in emby the second isn't.

But both don't have any episode-num, is this required to have news shows recognized as series (seems that it worked without in older versions of emby)?

This one isn't flagged as a series:

<programme start="20210521173000 +0000" stop="20210521175500 +0000" channel="SRF1.ch">
  <icon src="https://staticqbr-ch-prod.prod.cdn.dmdsdp.com/image-service/ImagesEPG/EventImages/p18925855_b_v12_aa.jpg"/>
  <title lang="de">Tagesschau - Hauptausgabe</title>
  <desc lang="de">2021
In dieser Sendung werden aktuelle Ereignisse aus der Schweiz und der Welt präsentiert.</desc>
  <date>2021</date>
  <category lang="de">News / Current affairs</category>
</programme>

grafik.thumb.png.9ff42431dbadcd832892dd0696f45da5.png

This one is flagged as series:

<programme start="20210526190000 +0000" stop="20210526193500 +0000" channel="SRF1.ch">
  <icon src="https://staticqbr-ch-prod.prod.cdn.dmdsdp.com/image-service/ImagesEPG/EventImages/p10905644_b_v12_ac.jpg"/>
  <title lang="de">Reporter</title>
  <sub-title lang="de">Schluss mit Perioden-Scham!</sub-title>
  <desc lang="de">2021 
Reporter stellt Menschen ins Zentrum, deren Schicksal gesellschaftliche Trends illustriert.</desc>
  <date>2021</date>
  <category lang="de">Social / Political issues / Economics</category>
</programme>

grafik.thumb.png.d618c61aeb767012a15427626b74c32b.png

Edited by nicolasmai

OK I think what we were doing before was blindly considering everything to be a series that wasn't a movie so i guess we'll have to go back to that.

SamES
3 hours ago, Luke said:

OK I think what we were doing before was blindly considering everything to be a series that wasn't a movie so i guess we'll have to go back to that.

I can understand why this wasn't a favoured option, but what is the correct definition of a series?  So traditional SxxExx is without question, but news items are probably a special case as they are repeated new episodes without necessarily being numbered.  I expect talk shows, variety shows are similar.  I suppose as long a they have some form of series ID then they should be considered a series for the purposes of series recording

Thanks

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SamES said:

I can understand why this wasn't a favoured option, but what is the correct definition of a series?  So traditional SxxExx is without question, but news items are probably a special case as they are repeated new episodes without necessarily being numbered.  I expect talk shows, variety shows are similar.  I suppose as long a they have some form of series ID then they should be considered a series for the purposes of series recording

Thanks

Since you use the beta channel, please confirm that it's resolved in 4.6.0.51+ after refreshing the guide data. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
nicolasmai

I still have an issue with these shows.

I've setup a series recording but only the first one is recorded.

The next days it shows up like this and I have to activate the record button for each occurrence.

image.thumb.png.21be7c03c5483000f0e6c8be9b9f868d.png

image.thumb.png.00c90aae24ea1567437d4cccf99421e7.png

image.thumb.png.9b4d2d114bb152bfad81feec2698c04e.png

Edit: also when I manually update the recordings and then run a guide update, the recordings are gone again.

Edited by nicolasmai

Likely reasons for this is that there is no season/episode info for the series. Without that info it likely appears to be the same.

nicolasmai

The recording is configured to record all episodes not only the new ones.

And is was working in older versions (not sure if something has changed in the xml guide data).

All episodes doesn't mean to record dupes however, and that is likely what Emby thinks these are.

One thing seems likely in that the data for this series is incomplete.

If you look up this channel in a 3rd party online tv guide, does it show episode info?

nicolasmai

You can see the guide data in my post above, it doesn't contain episode num.

Actually it isn't a series, it's a daily news show.

It was working just fine in older versions of emby.

Edit:

I've checked if the xml data has changed but it always was without season/episode-num.

Data from 14.03.2021:

<programme start="20210314183000 +0000" stop="20210314185500 +0000" channel="SRF1.ch">
  <icon src="https://wp17-images-ch-dynamic.horizon.tv/linear_images/p18925855_b_v13_aa.jpg"/>
  <desc lang="de">2021 
In dieser Sendung werden aktuelle Ereignisse aus der Schweiz und der Welt präsentiert.</desc>
  <date>2021</date>
  <category lang="de">Social / Political issues / Economics</category>
</programme>

Data from today:

<programme start="20210604173000 +0000" stop="20210604175500 +0000" channel="SRF1.ch">
  <icon src="https://staticqbr-ch-prod.prod.cdn.dmdsdp.com/image-service/ImagesEPG/EventImages/p18925855_b_v12_aa.jpg"/>
  <desc lang="de">2021 
  <date>2021</date>
</programme>

Edited by nicolasmai

Soggybottoms

I feel your frustration. I'm having the same issue also after upgrading to 4.6+..

Prior to 4.6 I use to be able to remove the dd_progid attribute from the shows I needed to record all episodes using xmlstarlet and it was working great, but now that no longer works because Emby must now be looking for exact attributes in the xml file or else it just assumes all the episodes are the 'same' and only records the first episode. Doesn't matter which xml guide is used (tried both Schedules Direct and xml dot ch) as they are both missing episode/series info. Haven't tried the Emby guide info because it is not available for French programming so I'm at a loss for now..

Based on your examples above - It would be nice to know what needs to be ADDED to the xml file to allow Emby to record ALL episodes of a show. I don't care about changing any options.. I just want to be able to choose the series recording option and have it record the same show at the same time everyday. I've tried adding the xmltv_ns attribute to the shows but it didn't work for me..

Edited by Soggybottoms

• 2 months later...
migue333

Same issue here. Trying to set daily recording of a news program but Emby only wants to schedule tomorrow's airing. 

When I had Uverse, with series recordings, it would always record episodes without detailed EPG data to err on the side of caution (better to delete if repeat than not record and regret).