Recording show not in guide, and backing up PVR date?

muzicman0

muzicman0

I stopped using Emby's live TV stuff a while ago because of lack of certain features.  I am curious if any of the newer versions have improved?

Can you schedule a series to record if it is not in the guide data?  

Can you back up DVR data, so if you have to reinstall, you don't lose all of your upcoming scheduled recordings?

It would simplify my recording process if I had the above 2 items.

Other things that would be great would be EDL support (so I could ditch Kodi as a front end), and/or a Kodi PVR plugin.

Hi, no there is no way to record shows without a guide entry.

Yes you can backup this info with any normal backup program set to backup your Emby Server configuration folders.

There is not EDL support but it's something that could be added in the future.

muzicman0

so backup of currently scheduled 'series subscriptions' was added to the backup plugin?  Last time I used it, Series Subscription data was not backed up.

Hi, stay tuned for the 4.6 announcement as there will be new live tv & dvr features.

muzicman0

I read through the changelog for 4.6 (looks like it shows released today), but I didn't see those 2 things.  Was hoping I missed it.

There are a lot of nice new things that will hopefully encourage you to use Emby as your DVR with the understanding that more improvements will continue to come.

muzicman0

I'll keep my eye on it.  I would really like to start using it again, but not being able to schedule shows when they aren't in the guide is pretty much a deal killer.  Last time I replaced my PC hardware, I had to start from scratch on recordings, and I have 50-60 shows that I record.  having to check every week until they were all scheduled again was a PITA.

The other solutions that I have used have an 'advanced' recording rule, where you can select record by title, series ID, episode/season #, etc (or any combination of those, plus more).  So currently, I record with another solution, and import it into Emby for playback.  Major problem with that is I sometimes lose episode info when it imports (things like episode descriptions are sometimes missing).

25 minutes ago, muzicman0 said:

The other solutions that I have used have an 'advanced' recording rule, where you can select record by title, series ID, episode/season #, etc (or any combination of those, plus more).  

But of course recording by series, ID, title etc are useless if you don't have Guide Data.  The only useful type of recording that could be done on channels without guide data is by day/time but then you would have to look up that info some place out to know when to record.

Short of a few "wacky" channels from questionable sources, guide data should be available for nearly all channels, depending on your country.

emveepee

It ticks me off when users use NextPVR together with Emby and simply call NextPVR the "other" solution as if it is a bad thing to mention something that helps them with features not yet in Emby,  Kodi and Roku comskip support certaily being one of them  

The external PVR interface in Emby doesn't get a lot of support or enhancement from the Emby developers or the development community so I am not surprised that there are occasional glitches, Emby prefer you use their solution.  I'd be happy to look into why the import misses your episode descriptions.

Martin

muzicman0
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

But of course recording by series, ID, title etc are useless if you don't have Guide Data.  The only useful type of recording that could be done on channels without guide data is by day/time but then you would have to look up that info some place out to know when to record.

Short of a few "wacky" channels from questionable sources, guide data should be available for nearly all channels, depending on your country.

That's not true.  If a show is coming back on the air in 6 months, then I can schedule it in advance.  I don't have to remember when it starts to air.  Or, if I see an advertisement for a new show that starts in a month, I can add it by title.  Or, like I mentioned above, I have new PC hardware, and now I have to schedule all 50-60 of my series subscriptions all from scratch.

• Like 2

muzicman0
3 minutes ago, emveepee said:

It ticks me off when users use NextPVR together with Emby and simply call NextPVR the "other" solution as if it is a bad thing to mention something that helps them with features not yet in Emby,  Kodi and Roku comskip support certaily being one of them  

The external PVR interface in Emby doesn't get a lot of support or enhancement from the Emby developers or the development community so I am not surprised that there are occasional glitches, Emby prefer you use their solution.  I'd be happy to look into why the import misses your episode descriptions.

Martin

Sorry Martin, I don't mean to upset anyone.  And yes, NextPVR is what I am currently using to record, and it is working like I want it to (with a few minor but notable exceptions), but I don't normally mention other products on message boards unless it is specific to the conversation (not a hard fast rule, but just try to avoid it when I think about it).  I don't believe the importing problem is a NextPVR issue at all, it's just that the TVDB doesn't have the description yet, so when it imports into Emby, it isn't picked up.  I supposed if you had an option in NextPVR that could write an Emby compatible NFO file, then it would be a non issue, but that is not NextPVR's issue.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, muzicman0 said:

That's not true.  If a show is coming back on the air in 6 months, then I can schedule it in advance. 

Yes your right.  That is a great use of using titles for series setup.

• Like 1

emveepee
49 minutes ago, muzicman0 said:

I supposed if you had an option in NextPVR that could write an Emby compatible NFO file, then it would be a non issue, but that is not NextPVR's issue.

The PVR interface already brings over all the data that would be used to write an NFO file so that would be unnecessary.  The issue again is Emby is not linking TV series and movies from external PVR like the do with the built in DVR.  There won't be any less information in NextPVR then there is in the Emby built in data since they both use TMS based date.

muzicman0

I'm not using the pvr interface (assuming you mean the emby plugin). I tried it, but was never able to get it to work. 

I'm simply recording into a directory that emby is aware of. 

Edited by muzicman0

2 minutes ago, muzicman0 said:

I'm not using the pvr interface (assuming you mean the emby plugin). I tried it, but was never able to get it to work. 

I'm simply recording into a directory that emby is aware of. 

How do you watch Live TV?

You should try the plugin again as @emveepee has improved it likely since you last tried it.

emveepee

I understand better now.  You may not have checked the setting to indicate that you read about donating or you are using the obsolete version from the store.

Martin

• Like 1

muzicman0
26 minutes ago, cayars said:

How do you watch Live TV?

You should try the plugin again as @emveepee has improved it likely since you last tried it.

I use Kodi add a front end, and use the NextPVR Kodi addon. I also use the Emby4Kodi addon, so everything is under one app on my shields. 

• Like 1

muzicman0
1 hour ago, emveepee said:

I understand better now.  You may not have checked the setting to indicate that you read about donating or you are using the obsolete version from the store.

Martin

I reinstalled te plugin, and added NextPVR to Emby as my 'tuner type', but I still get nothing in the EPG.  So I added Schedules Direct for a guide source, but still nothing.  I don't see any checkboxes about donating.

emveepee

You seem to be following the m3u tuner instructions which is completely different and won't help in your situtation for EDL support.  The settings for NextPVR Plugin are on the ellipsis on the NextPVR icon

Martin

muzicman0

I'll keep at it.  I tried initially just with the plugin, where I enter the URL and pin, but that still shows an empty guide.  So I went to the live TV setup.  in the new 4.6 server, there is actually a 'tuner type' of NextPVR, so I tried it as well.  Neither option seemed to work, and neither one had a checkbox that I could find about donating. 

At the end of the day, my current setup does what I need it to do, so I will probably just leave it alone for a while.

emveepee

You need to install this addon and make sure you click about reading about making a donation.

muzicman0

That worked!  

I'll probably still keep my current setup until I have a chance to play around with it to see how it works.

• Like 1

muzicman0

I donated as well.  I appreciate all the support both here, and on the NPVR forums.

• Like 1