4K movie screen tearing on iPad

jsc1205

jsc1205

If I'm not watching movies in our home theater room, I watch them on my iPad.  I noticed last night when playing 4k movie on my iPad last night I got the green pixelated screen tearing.  It did this on a couple of movies.  I went to Plex on the same iPad and it did not do this at all.  I went to my android phone as well to see if it would do it on there and it played back fine.  So its definitely related to the iPad.

I already know of the issue of some movies not starting at the beginning on an iOS device but rather 10 secs in.  But now I'm wondering why the screen tearing is happening as well??

vdatanet
3 minutes ago, jsc1205 said:

Yes exactly.  On my end I have no picture at all but just green/colorized blocks pixelated artifacts.

At this time, the only workaround is to avoid stream copy HEVC HDR

jsc1205
1 minute ago, vdatanet said:

At this time, the only workaround is to avoid stream copy HEVC HDR

Exactly how do I do that using an iPad??  I'm only getting this using the iPad.  But playing the same movie back on Nvidia Shield or an android phone it works fine.

Edited by jsc1205

vdatanet
1 minute ago, jsc1205 said:

Exactly how do I do that using an iPad??  I'm only getting this using the iPad.  But playing the same movie back on Nvidia Shield or an android phone it works fine.

Because Nvidia Shield and Android phone are able to decode DTS and playback using iPad requires remuxing (DTS -> AC3). You need an AC3 track to avoid remuxing.

jsc1205
2 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Because Nvidia Shield and Android phone are able to decode DTS and playback using iPad requires remuxing (DTS -> AC3). You need an AC3 track to avoid remuxing.

Ugghh.....its always something.  So any reason why this same movie plays just fine in Plex?

vdatanet
Just now, jsc1205 said:

Ugghh.....its always something.  So any reason why this same movie plays just fine in Plex?

Because, Plex for iOS and Plex for tvOS apps decode DTS at client side and remuxing is not required. Also, if this is necessary, Plex uses HLS in fMP4 container.

jsc1205
2 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Because, Plex for iOS and Plex for tvOS apps decode DTS at client side and remuxing is not required. Also, if this is necessary, Plex uses HLS in fMP4 container.

Thanks for the info.  So I'm guessing if Emby did the same thing, this would not be a problem.

vdatanet
Just now, jsc1205 said:

Thanks for the info.  So I'm guessing if Emby did the same thing, this would not be a problem.

I think so. We can only wait.

• Like 1

vdatanet

Another workaround is to use Infuse, it works great with Emby.

• Like 1

jsc1205

@Luke@ebr @cayars any chance this being implemented for Emby on iOS devices?

I have been using Plex for along time and every now and then bounce back to Emby because of the frustrations that Plex has.  Mainly because their development folks do not listen to anything being talked about by the users in their forum.  One topic alone is requested support for multiple versions of the same movie.  If a request has been going on for 8+ years, with absolutely no response, I guarantee Plex has no interest in it and users are wasting their breath.

I know its a struggle keeping up with each device/platform that Emby can be used on.  But would really like to settle on ONE media server and not flip back and forth because of limitations.  Hope that issues like this can be resolved.  Thanks

• Agree 1

Yes it's on the radar screen and we are looking at a couple of different ways to try to handle this.

jsc1205
4 hours ago, cayars said:

Yes it's on the radar screen and we are looking at a couple of different ways to try to handle this.

Thanks for the response and hopefully it can be resolved soon.  I will tell you, its refreshing to actually get responses instead of years of silence like Plex.

• Like 2