Read more image formats for local artwork (webp)

olympus1

olympus1

Hi, I am a new Emby user and I can say I am impressed with it.

I have been using Kodi for a long time and I rely to nfo files (it's my preferred choice for dealing with my media).

Since Emby can't parse artwork from NFO files, I decided to give a try to local artwork.

My problem now, my artwork is not in jpg and png files, I prefer it to be in webp format (smaller filesizes, massive savings especially in png files since png is lossless and huge in filesize).

If I rename the webp artwork to png (for example poster.webp to poster.png) Emby reads and displays the webp artwork fine.

So what I am requesting.. is it possible for Emby like Kodi does to read more image formats for local artwork and not only jpg and png?

It's only an import issue, Emby imports and displays the webp artwork fine if I change the extension to png.

Thank you in advance for any reply to my request Emby devs.

Edited by olympus1
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

olympus1
1 hour ago, Hxemby001 said:

For some reason I thought this had been done in the new BETA..

I just tested it in 4.6.0.46 beta. It doesn't.

Being that most things are incorporating Google's WEBM and WEBP whatever.. This probably would be a good idea.. and should be simple enough.

• 6 months later...
8 hours ago, gbcox said:

You might consider going ahead and adding support for AVIF at the same time, since that apparently is the successor to webp. 

Hi, yes avif is something we will be looking at adding. Thanks.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
punkid

Bump. 

Please add this feature. 

I use Youtube-dl material to download youtube videos sometimes. It generates a thumbnail (webp) along with an nfo file. Emby does not read the thumbnail when its using the webp file extension, but simply renaming it to jpg makes Emby read it.

image.png.8c1f6c377df714ea25c7abbcec6c5b10.png

Also, with nfo files, there's no formatting when displayed in Emby. I hope that could be fixed some day too.

image.png.48273e00ecc6015abbcc95efe642a3a1.png

How it shows up in emby:

image.thumb.png.a815f33d055b80598b5eccfa10460628.png

Happy2Play
15 hours ago, punkid said:

Also, with nfo files, there's no formatting when displayed in Emby. I hope that could be fixed some day too

There are dozens of topics on this but there is NO method that will work across all clients.  You can use custom css for the web client (not the online client).

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/10192-honor-newlinecarriage-returns-in-overviews-on-clients

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50125-overview-section

Server: allow paragraphs in plot - Feature Requests - Emby Community

• 1 year later...
Pitchblack

Bump!
any traction on this?

I would really appreciate native support for AVIF and WEBP on Emby.

Thanks

• Agree 1

On 11/3/2023 at 6:07 PM, Pitchblack said:

Bump!
any traction on this?

I would really appreciate native support for AVIF and WEBP on Emby.

Thanks

Hi, they're both supported for photo libraries in the upcoming 4.8 server release. We'll add webp support for local artwork as well. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Pitchblack

Personally, I was mostly looking for WEBP and AVIF for local artwork.
Any reason why no AVIF support for local artwork?

I get some cover art from amazon.ca as an example and since a recent update of firefox and chrome, the browser accepts AVIF as a priority... the current workaround is to install a plugin that removes the accept headers for WEBP and AVIF when downloading some images.

If it's possible to support AVIF for local artwork, that would be great.

• 1 month later...
Frazer

Is this already in the beta branch now? my metadata folder is growing close to 200gb and converting it to webp would save quite a bit of space, so i do very much look forward to this.

1 hour ago, Frazer said:

Is this already in the beta branch now? my metadata folder is growing close to 200gb and converting it to webp would save quite a bit of space, so i do very much look forward to this.

Yes.