TVHeadend config

veehexx1

veehexx1

hoping theres someone familiar with tvheadend that can clarify some questions i have, as i'm new to it.

I'm recieving a DVB-S2 signal in the UK, and using the BBC's tuning info as the initial start freq.

1. First time initial scan done 3 months ago when i deployed emby&TVH. I'm now seeing channels no longer working as they've moved mux. What do i need to do to autodetect these settings or is it a question of manually looking for the new mux tuning info, add and scan that specific mux? digitalspy freesat changelog ONLY gives freq, not polarity, FEC or modulation changes. My guess is that because multiple services come down on each mux, then i cant edit the old mux, change freq, and job done as that would break the other services that may not have changed.
  2. where do bouquets come into things? This is a completely new item to me so i'm not sure if i should be using them or not (ie: are they useful for use with emby deployments), what happens when services change - do i need to change anything so emby knows thats the new channel details?
  3. do i need to be manually ordering TVH channels for use with emby or does the emby EPG handle ordering? from day 1 i set TVH channels as to include their correct freesat number; '101 BBC One', '103 ITV Central' etc. Can i drop the 3 digital channel number and emby will maintain the correct order, or has emby used these numbers to order them correctly?

the main headache i seem to be facing is the long term maintenance of the TVHeadend channels. Theres got to be a better way to keep ontop of changes than the 100% manual process i'm doing right now.

If you had this working previously and were not using bouquets then I'd not worry about them as it's one less thing to deal with.

What you likely need to do is a complete scan of all channels inside TVH which should add/remove channels to match your tuner.  Very the channels work in TVH.

Then in Emby do a guide refresh and when completely you should have the new channels.

I can't answer your last question completely without knowing if you are using the TVH plugin or sending Emby an m3u file.  But generally speaking you will want to update channel numbers in TVH.

Let us know how you make out or if you need additional help.

veehexx1

I can't give you specific details right now on the others (probably in a few hours when i'm at home again) but iirc i did a full scan (with something along the lines of 'dvb-s broadcast' profile set to allow new & updated mux scans) but didnt pickup the new mux for the channel that moved.

Since posting i did have a quick play with bouquets and it appears to have pulled sane channel numbers down (albeit conflicting with some of my manually defined assignments) so i might actually move to that for simplicity.

I should have a full day of no tv use at the weekend so i might clean TVH and reconfigure things with bouquets. if it works how i think it works, then once the emby channel mapping is done, it should be much easier to maintain things going forward. It'll also be a lot easier to test for new mux's as i can delete and rescan till my hearts content since emby wont be in use.

OK sounds like a plan.  If you hit any snags shoot me a PM and I can remote in and give you a hand.

Carlo

veehexx1

I think i answered all my questions now:

1) I was being impatient... and also not looking at the columns in TVH/configuration/dvb inputs/networks. Last column is 'scan queue length' which shows remaining mux scans. seems when i couldnt find the new mux, it may not have completed the scan fully. I found a test mux to delete, full rescan and it did appear. I've enabled startup scan, although may try idle scan in an effort to make this process a bit more automated and handsoff.

2) i migrated to bouquets. While there isnt a Freesat UK bouquet, bskyb do so the majority of channels i'm using the defaults. I've tweaked a handful of channel assignments for my own desires but it's a case of minutes not hours to align everything should i have to set things up from scratch.

3) with the move to bouquets, then i've stopped prefixing the channel name with the channel number. Not sure if its a new feature of a TVH update over the last 3 months but theres now a 'number' column in the Channel EPG/Channels page. seems weird it didnt exist before but also seems so obvious i cant believe i've not used it if it was there. m3u into emby is happy with the ordering too.

I think this current setup is going to be much more automated, faster and cleaner to maintain. Aside from automatically mapping new services/expiring old in TVH bouquet, it looks like it'll all be hands off now. just need to wait for a change to occur to actually test the theory...

veehexx1

yeah, i think so. Although i probably said that 3 months ago when i first deployed emby&TVH - i thought i had it right but turns out later on that there were some longer term issues.