Matroska disabled property

fizzyade

fizzyade

Emby doesn't honour the disabled property for a track (specifically I'm talking about it in regard to audio), when disabled I'm expecting:

1.) The Info view not to show the track.

2.) The Track should not be visible or selectable from the UI.

3.) The track should not be selected as an audio track for playback ever, another track should be selected.

I've just ripped 36 Bluray discs (that originated in Japan) and for whatever reason Emby is picking the Japanese audio track as the one to play, despite the fact that it is not marked as default and the English track is.  I thought I'd be able to fix this in a non-destructive way, by marking the Japanese audio tracks as disabled, but as above, Emby does not honour this flag.

Hi, it's certainly possible to look at supporting this in the future. thanks.

With these settings.. 

PLAYBACK

05_12.2021_160220.jpg.1fd0f147f9150259e3fb26ebabe7cf21.jpg

I usually have to select the tracks and start to play them if they differ in any way for it to remember. Seems like it would be in these settings.. but I am assuming you have already checked those?

Edited by Guest

fizzyade
7 minutes ago, Hxemby001 said:

With these settings.. 

PLAYBACK

05_12.2021_160220.jpg.1fd0f147f9150259e3fb26ebabe7cf21.jpg

I usually have to select the tracks and start to play them if they differ in any way for it to remember. Seems like it would be in these settings.. but I am assuming you have already checked those?

For whatever reason embody is picking the wrong auto track, I have it set to use English in the embryo settings and in the actual container English is the default, not Japanese.

I thought the quickest way of fixing it would be to use the disabled property, but that doesn't help because embody doesn't honour it, so it keeps selecting the wrong audio.

Wrong is a matter of opinion based on what criteria you're following. We're going by the settings in Emby user preferences.

fizzyade
30 minutes ago, Luke said:

Wrong is a matter of opinion based on what criteria you're following. We're going by the settings in Emby user preferences.

I've just gone back and checked, the user setting is set to "English", the audio track displayed in the episode shows "Japanese" and the English track is displayed in the combo as  "English (Default)", that was the basis of my criteria and I think it's fair to say that it's wrong, but....

I've just clicked through a few other seasons and it appears to just one season (the one I unfortunately picked to play)  out of 10 that is displaying this behaviour.  I only just added the files to emby this evening as it took me a while to rip 36 blurays.

I unluckily selected the erroneous season and obviously checked through the rest of the that season and that's why I thought it was more widespread than what it was, but I have never set the audio anywhere to be Japanese because, well, I don't speak Japanese.

It must have been a glitch in the matrix.

It did select the correct subtitles though.

English info in emby:

English AC3 stereo (Default)

Embedded TitleStereo

LanguageEnglish

CodecAC3

Layoutstereo

Channels2 ch

Bitrate448 kbps

Sample Rate48,000 Hz

DefaultYes

Japanese info in emby:

TitleJapanese AC3 stereo

Embedded TitleStereo

LanguageJapanese

CodecAC3

Layoutstereo

Channels2 ch

Bitrate448 kbps

Sample Rate48,000 Hz

DefaultNo

Happy2Play

Sorry I am not following as I understand it if I disable a track in mkvtoolnix it remuxes the media removing those tracks.  So I have to ask what you are calling disabled?  Or is this all about the DEFAULT flag?

I think he is looking for an option to disable tracks within.. as a Feature Request.. But if everything looks right.. either a setting is not being applied.. default language is indicated in Video Track or.. something else is not found yet.. It should be working right.. if the settings are right..

fizzyade
12 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Sorry I am not following as I understand it if I disable a track in mkvtoolnix it remuxes the media removing those tracks.  So I have to ask what you are calling disabled?  Or is this all about the DEFAULT flag?

No, what you're doing is removing the track entirely from the container.  There's an optional disabled property in MKV tracks which allows a specific track to be marked as such, when a track is disabled it's still physically in the container, but the playback device should ignore the track, it essentially doesn't exist.

I tried this thinking it would work because I wanted a quick fix for the solution I experienced, one that didn't involve re-muxing a couple of terabytes of data.

In any event it didn't work (because Emby doesn't honour the flag) and whatever caused this to happen, was seemingly just a glitch.

As a test I just created another user account with access to that library, went in and it was correctly set to English.

So I don't know what the exact cause of this was, I definitely didn't select Japanese as a language anywhere in emby.

If I create a new user, the correct language (English AC3 Default) is selected, but if I use any of the existing user accounts (which are set to English also) this particular season selects Japanese as the language, no other season in the series behaves like this, it's just one of the series.

It's just a bit weird.

@LukeI wonder if it's stale metadata, i.e let's say I had this series previously in lower quality, for whatever reason I picked a different audio track in each episode in this season.  

Now if I replace the series with a better copy, does Emby remove the previous audio track selection or keep it?

If it's the latter, then I guess that's a possibility for the cause of this.  If it is, then on re-import (during a library scan) I would suggest that any previous audio track (or subtitle) selection should be honoured only if the language is the same, otherwise the default track in the new media file should be selected.

fizzyade

And related to that is that if you are in the web interface looking at an episode and what the language, it doesn't stick.  You have to play the episode and switch to the required language before it sticks.

Bottles51

You can always run your file through mvk tool nix to remove the embedded files you do not wish to have. It does not take long at all and is free software. Just a friendly tip.

fizzyade

I'm going through them, it's also affecting the Specials folder, every single episode there has selected Japanese despite my user setting being English and the Default track also being English.

FWIW I have never actually watching this episode on purpose because once I watch it, there's no more Columbo!  </logic>

271119845_CleanShot2021-05-13at12_22.26@2x.thumb.png.fea4fc2df886547f29d3a05d061a143a.png

fizzyade
1 minute ago, Bottles51 said:

You can always run your file through mvk tool nix to remove the embedded files you do not wish to have. It does not take long at all and is free software. Just a friendly tip.

Yes I know, I've done it many times.

What I was trying to do, was something that fixed it in an instant without having to go through terabytes of data, but what I discovered is that Emby doesn't honour and flag that it probably should do, which is what I'm reporting.

Additionally there's some other weirdness going on here that I can't explain with default track selection.

I have seen metadata stick like what your talking about. in more than one instance.. sometimes it pulls down metadata the same ( wrong ) way, but this seems to be something different but would seem or should be the database entry or wherever it is stored.... Have you tried moving the files out of the directory something outside the Library PATH and then deleting them?.. wait for them to show up as deleted in the logs ( database and location ) afterwards moving them back in and waiting for them to be added again?

fizzyade

I've set mkmerge off via a shell script to remove the Japanese tracks, it's slightly complicated because it involves a Unraid cache drive that is smaller that the size of the files I'm modifying, so I keep having to halt the process and then run the Unraid mover to get the files moved to the array and to free up the space on the cache so that I can carry on.

Happy2Play

Does ffmpeg even see that flag?