Big problem!!

banana120

banana120

hardware  tnas f2-221

version emby4.5.4   latest stable  download from emby.media website and manual install to tnas

it always upload data in the background   (about 8MB/s upload speed ), but nobody is browsing media library or watching videos

i check all running program  ,only emby server have cpu useage(about %20)

and it will stop upload when i kill emby server   ,

hope emby team can make some test for this issue   ............

one more thing........

A few days ago i use cellphone's web browser connect to server by wan ip (lte network) watch a movie but it just play an Japanese AV

oh god please no!!   thanks god no other people  with me

finally i found when it auto video quality   it play an AV from no where 

when i manual set higher quality 720p 、1080p it play the right video

i'm very sure i never download this AV! Where it came from?   some other guy's emby server?

is this explain why my server upload data in background? some one is watching my movies?? just like my ghost AV?

banana120

i search on the internet     i am not only one have this issue   (upload data in the background)

Have to forgive me the posts are a little hard to understand.

12 hours ago, banana120 said:

it always upload data in the background   (about 8MB/s upload speed ), but nobody is browsing media library or watching videos

Was the server doing any type of scan at the time or importing data to a Library? Was this indicator on the TerraMaster or on the computer/device? I am not to say this for sure.. but your system could have a number of issues.. It is a little harder to find out exactly what IS going on... but it can be looked into.. Also changing your passwords, securing accounts with passwords, and disabling all accounts you are not using can help.. You would also need to restart the server or TerraMaster after.

12 hours ago, banana120 said:

A few days ago i use cellphone's web browser connect to server by wan ip (lte network) watch a movie but it just play an Japanese AV

oh god please no!!   thanks god no other people  with me

I am not for sure what you are talking about here? Some of these videos are all over the place.. I would check your library thoroughly to make sure something is not there by mistake. You may also be experiencing part of an infection and your system could be redirecting to other things.. would also explain the constant uploading...

EDIT: PeerBlock may help you block some of these connections and reduce usage of the internet for this purpose.. good application for protection against many things.. you can also couple this with list from iBlocklist... which I have done I run this 24/7..

I would recommend you install and use something like ESET Internet or Smart Security even as a trial ... and scan your systems.. as well as your phone and the apps that are installed. Cleaning something like this out can be a little work.. HiJack This! may also reveal changes to your system which are not desired, as well as looking into your HOSTS file.. More than likely you have something installed into your system which is acting as a proxy and or is poisoning your DNS Cache.. This could also have you on a VPN ( and a number of other configurations ) which is enabling a Bot Network or even allowing access to your system...

Regardless of my guesses here ESET should detect and start removing and cleaning.. available for mobile phones as well.. and tablets.. It would be advisable to change passwords and log ins for anything that matters to you  ( BANKING, ACCOUNTS, etc.. ) after cleaning the infection, and keeping a close eye on them. While your cleaning it up.. ( after installing Protection and updating it ) You may also want to unplug your router from the internet.. stay connected via network but no access from the outside.. keep the phone off the home network.. no wifi.. and clean it as well... clear out unwanted or unused or necessary apps.. remnants can still remain.. so be through in deletion and removal.

Look for changes in your network router, and system hardware and software configurations before going back on the internet... You going to have to lock it down.

11 hours ago, banana120 said:

i search on the internet     i am not only one have this issue   (upload data in the background)

Things that happen like this happen often from what would seem like legitimate installation of software and apps.. Packaged additional services and programs.. and from sites.. Bloatware.. a number of things.. it start with something simple.. and escalates and grows into a bigger issue...

The 720p trigger.. I bet could also be duplicated by watching video elsewhere with same resolution.. unless they have been able to get in to your server and infect it or the system..

ESET Smart Security     HitMan Pro    HiJack This!    Nessus Essentials   PeerBlock w/ iBlocklist - These are my recommendations... HiJackThis!, ESET, Nessus.. probably in that order Nessus is more advanced but free and very useful for securing your system against becoming vulnerable as well as detecting infections and malware.

You also may want to wipe your EMBY installation out and destroy all installation files/folders and reinstall from the main site here after you have cleaned up your system.

Edited by Guest
Added PeerBLOCK not GUARDIAN as recommendation for protection and blocking of nefarious origin

Hi, please attach the emby server log from when this happened. Thanks 

banana120
12 hours ago, Hxemby001 said:

Was the server doing any type of scan at the time or importing data to a Library? Was this indicator on the TerraMaster or on the computer/device? I am not to say this for sure.. but your system could have a number of issues.. It is a little harder to find out exactly what IS going on... but it can be looked into.. Also changing your passwords, securing accounts with passwords, and disabling all accounts you are not using can help.. You would also need to restart the server or TerraMaster after.

i have checked all , close all app  except emby server make sure only emby work  and  no body use this nas at that time 

12 hours ago, Hxemby001 said:

I am not for sure what you are talking about here? Some of these videos are all over the place.. I would check your library thoroughly to make sure something is not there by mistake. You may also be experiencing part of an ‎infection  and your system could be redirecting to other things.. would also explain the constant uploading...

I checked my library thoroughly   ......      sure the av is not in my disk

i just buy the nas half year ago it not have a lot of files .i  create only one folder to save video files, only myself is using this nas 

very easy to check

ghost av issue only happened once when i connect from another city ( business  trip)

banana120
12 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, please attach the emby server log from when this happened. Thanks 

ok 

i have closed emby for two days    ,during this time  i check nas uplink speed frequently    not found any upload

plan to start emby this weekend   when emby  reappeare to upload data in background  i will commit log 

The combo of issues you talked about is what concerned me.. in conjunction with constant uploading.. which should not be happening.. unless you are synchronizing with a server somewhere else... If you believe these two issues are separate then maybe no need to check your system... as thoroughly as I recommend.. ( May not be a bad idea either )

EMBY's log should also have the IP in it's logs. Will see the log then.. :) 

If you install PeerBlock you may get an accurate IP and destination with an exact time in the log..and may block it if its on a malicious list.. until we see the source.. It literally logs everything coming across your network...

With the Japanese AV ..If you were away in another town on business trip.. Then the issue may actually been from the mobile carrier.. hopefully not stemming from your phone or malicious app which you may have installed. There are several ways to check all of this out.. Crazy.. funny in a way.. but not when you think about how it may have occurred and what it can mean..

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...
banana120

not  reappeare since last time before i update emby to 4.6.1 today  

it happen again   

i stop emby  will stop upload data

restart emby will continue  

please check my log   if it help

QQ截图20210531125222.jpg

embyserver.txt

11 hours ago, banana120 said:

not  reappeare since last time before i update emby to 4.6.1 today  

it happen again   

i stop emby  will stop upload data

restart emby will continue  

please check my log   if it help

QQ截图20210531125222.jpg

embyserver.txt 149.95 kB · 1 download

You have Emby apps such as the web app requesting data from the server. That's where the upload is coming from.

banana120
9 hours ago, Luke said:

You have Emby apps such as the web app requesting data from the server. That's where the upload is coming from.

in fact, i'm sure i already close  all web 

but before this issue happen,  i try to play some high quality 4k 、10bit 、120frames movie exactly  ,  and it always stuck in the play loading page (may be it's because of i connect server by remote pc ,it's a network Bandwidth problem)    i have try to use F5 refresh web page but  no use,  finally  kill browser directly.

i try to play but always fail  ,stuck in loading  for several times   ,,,so  give up,close all browser

then  i find it's very slowly to connect to my tnas   ,because the uploading almost run out of my uplink bandwidth

if this description can help you find issue    ,if what you siad is true  ,may be  the server think there is client online and send data to him  ,but no clinet is running.

in fact, i'm sure i already close  all web 

But the log says you did not.

banana120
6 hours ago, Luke said:

But the log says you did not.

make sure no client is my first step ,it’s  without doubt .

and how to explain the dashboard show no playinfo?

Maybe this is the problem

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2021 at 5:54 AM, banana120 said:

hello   please help me 

upload happen now....

embyserver (2).txt 3.35 MB · 1 download

@banana120 please try removing the following plugins:

Anime 1.4.8.0
	Auto Organize 1.6.0.0
	BlurN 2.0.2.8
	Disk Space 1.0.5.6
	Douban 1.0.4.0
	DVBLink 1.8.11.0
	JavScraper 1.2021.622.2145

Then restart Emby Server and let us know if this resolves your issue. Thanks !

banana120

upload happen no again

and  it can't be stop , restart emby  upload will start in a minute

and cpu  usage up to  145% 158% 

it not stop while i write this replay ............

what emby doing???

embyserver (3).txt

banana120

btw ...

log is modified,       i only replace the domain name in the url to 192.168.1.4    to protect my privacy   

nothing more change

banana120
12 hours ago, Luke said:

Did you try giving it a few minutes to see if it goes down?

yes i look at it for almost half a hour   

it doesn't keep upload   it will upload for a few minute and stop for a few seconds  then start upload again

i have a question     does emby client app do connect and transfer data direct from their own server?   if there is possibility (i mean bug)make some others get my video data?

because  i set emby internet upload speed limit to 40 Mbps    and   when the upload happen  the  speed  seem to be limit to 40Mbps  because  i have 100Mbps up bandwidth from ISP.

and i have told before:     once i use emby app and chose particular video quilty it show a video  i never seen before  and   i make sure this video is not stored in my nas disk.

i think there is a bug  can make emby app get video data from others server by mistake。。。。

You could try disabling the realtime monitor for each of your emby libraries, then restart the server and see if that helps. Thanks.