Emby Identify doesn't work for me

nyaaborn

nyaaborn

I use the emby server on my nvidia shield (emby for android)

I let Emby go over my library (tv show type) which is filled with anime series (naming series name - SxxExx, according to thetvdb).

In my library settings I have choosen many metadata sources (with tvdb first, see screenshot below). It manages to get most stuff. but it cant get everything, which is fine with me.

When i want to identify it myself the server seems to be having problems finding many shows. I am trying with the name that is on thetvdb, thetvdbid, themoviedbid, sometimes it just doesnt find anything or it just shows some empty folder. What is happening here?

this seems to happen most with movies. the library is set to tv shows (i want both shows and movies in the same library). that might be the reason it cant find metadata for movies? even though those are also on tvdb. even so, shouldnt i be able to identify those manually still?

As example I used the following Anime Movie (anthem of the heart)

thertvdb: https://www.thetvdb.com/movies/the-anthem-of-the-heart

themoviedb: https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/364111-anthem-of-the-heart

check also variuous screenshots where i input data in the identify window and what results i got.

why can i not identify this? this is not the only series/movie that doesnt work. there are many more.

anybody had the same problem?

1_library settings.png

2_library not identified.png

3.1_identify request tvdb.png

3.2_identify answer tvdb.png

4.1_identify request moviedb.png

4.2_identify answer moviedb.png

Edited by nyaaborn

Hello nyaaborn,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

pwhodges
33 minutes ago, nyaaborn said:

the library is set to tv shows (i want both shows and movies in the same library).

"Mixed Content" is the type for that.

Paul

nyaaborn

I will try that thank you.

If it is set to tv-shows, then the identify option stops you from identifying movies even if you do it manually and they are also present on thetvdb just like normal shows?

I mean my problem is not that emby doesnt identify them itself (thats fine with me). my problem is that i cant identify them manually.

Happy2Play

Correct as TV and Movies have different queries per provider sites, so TV only searches TV and Movies only searches Movies.  OMDB will actually provide both do to the id is exactly that.

TMDB and TVDB have \tv or \movie queries not both.

Might get away with "tt4489416" if OMDB is enabled.

• Thanks 1

With some title.. an IMDB number may help but it is also useful.. ( as per what I have done ) to embed the original name in metadata and in filename first, then native language in parentheses. Usually you get an ID for it dead on.. I also however separate my Libraries so additionally as they mention above this can be an issue..

心が叫びたがってるんだ。(The Heart Wants to Shout) 2015.mkv might be a good place to start for this one mentioned. Search with 心が叫びたがってるんだ。.

It gets strange and difficult but straight out makes total sense in the end... You can have it pull metadata back in your preferred language but when searching it is best to use its original title and language in most cases. An example of one of mine.. This one identifies correctly but shows the format... Many of my Asian based movies have multiple names and translations... one crosses three continents with multiple names in each language.. Viy2 for example.. it got tricky.. Usually its DEFAULT if it were would be the best to accurately identify it and get results.. if Identify does not pull something back then this is usually an indicator.. or if it is not the first result returned.. My Anime is like too..

SHADOW ( YING )  影

05_11.2021_134938.jpg.694676df55467bbcb7e73277be794c9a.jpg

Inside is 影 (Shadow) 2018 1080p.mkv

This metadata below matches that in EMBY. '影' shows as the original title.

05_11.2021_135556.jpg.75b1757d3239744c2fed73407f863f14.jpg  05_11.2021_135649.jpg.c9d4f3eaf57d206dc295d72f05423220.jpg

05_11.2021_135753.jpg.4f8259740a360b8150310572972fd868.jpg

05_11.2021_135134.thumb.jpg.51b546c1992d65f62688814fcf92ae7c.jpg

Edited by Guest

I know you said you want the mixed library type but if all possible I would HIGHLY ENCOURAGE you to rethink this and to have seperate Movie & TV Show libraries.

Yes it requires you to seperate your content but is really worth it long term.

• Thanks 1

nyaaborn

my worries with separated movie / series is this.

i mean you know how anime is. there are like 4 seasons and 20 specials, 4 of those are movies, some are OVAs and other specials PER FRANCHISE.

i like to have everything from one single franchise in one emby "folder" seperated in seasons and specials.

i wouldnt mind to have seperate anime films like your name in a seperate library. but if it starts to take away something like the haruhi suzumiya movie from the haruhi seasons and i have to go to another library to watch that movie and then back to the series library to watch the season, that lets my OCD cry out in pain.

or does emby TV-SHOW-LIBRARY treat specials-movies from anime series differently from actual movies (standalone productions)?

I treat the anime seasons as the main anime content of the franchise and all movies belonging to those seasons (side stories, sequel movies what have you) as specials that belong to those seasons. i can't have these in another library entirely (guess you could make collections? but then i have to manage everything by hand again).

i named all my special episodes from anime according to the tvdb naming scheme (S00E01 etc) and have them in a specials folder next to the seasons folders. i dont really know what emby does with those. are those treated as anime specials. or are these treated as movies?

Edited by nyaaborn

pwhodges

Anime series-linked films and OVAs are normally numbered as s00enn and get put in the Special folder alongside the Seasons.  This works fine for most things - as I can confidently assert as most of my library is anime.

If you're prepared to break the folder naming rules you can even break groups of videos out into separate folders within a series - as, for instance, "Movies" and "OVAs" are names that Emby doesn't recognise and so doesn't combine into the Specials folder.

For instance, here is part of my Evangelion folder:

nge.jpg.8250c8b4ed224cc456212ed8953a033f.jpg

The "Specials" folder actually contains an unofficial video (the unused extended LA segment of End of Evangelion), and the films Death and End of Evangelion are in the "Movies" folder.  The "Rebuild" films, which are a different story, I have in my Films library, brought together in a collection:

nte.thumb.jpg.c3637dad64c08774735063d027337275.jpg

Experiment a bit, and you should be able to get something that suits you well enough. 

A more extreme example of how breaking the rules can work better than following them is the -Monogatari series, see here for how I handle it.  TVDB splits it up according to the original TV broadcasts, which were a mess, and making substantial parts of it into specials; I have broken it up into the stories corresponding to the books.

Paul

• Thanks 1

nyaaborn

thank you everybody for your quick and extensive replies.

the main question is solved (library type TV-SHOWS doesnt let you manually identify movies on thetvdb). i will work my way around that with all the given suggestions. ❤️

Edited by nyaaborn
  • Like 1

Keep in mind.. do not join files together that are a TV movie ( Mini-Series ) Keep those in TV Shows.. I joined files a long time ago in my movies and was even to get info for the embedding elsewhere.. years before coming back to try EMBY again.. and they were wrong.. and would not identify in Movies...

Afro Samurai gave me fits before I figured out what was going on... while the second release actually does identify as a movie release.. The first is actually a five part one season release.. and the identification changed between three providers over the last year.. 💢

Just a note..

Edited by Guest