Emby Dev Team Judges Ruling Please :)

BillOatman
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

BillOatman

Hi.  I ran into a jellyfin plugin with source that tries to get tv series and movie theme music automatically.  

Here it is  for those interested.

That's the good news.  The interesting and potentially bad news is since there is no good place to get TV themes, Plex hosts them with a web service to allow for download (presumably for Plex servers).  This Jellyfin plugin uses that plex service for TV themes.

Judges ruling before I spend any time porting it ... is this allowed [in a catalog plugin]?

Edited by BillOatman

• Solution

Hi, so do they come from a plex domain? If so then I think it's inevitable that once they find out, they will ask other software using it to remove it from their plugin repositories.

But posting it here in the community would be fine.

BillOatman
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, so do they come from a plex domain? If so then I think it's inevitable that once they find out, they will ask other software using it to remove it from their plugin repositories.

But posting it here in the community would be fine.

Yup ... tvthemes.plexapp.com

5 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

Yup ... tvthemes.plexapp.com

I would not go down that path if I were you...

GWTPqZp6b
37 minutes ago, ebr said:

I would not go down that path if I were you...

The plugin is MIT licensed, but whats the Plex license in relation to TVthemes access? Is this provided a premium only service, or something they knowing provide to the community?

From Plex's TOS, are the tvthemes provided through the plex app only, or are they scraped from elsewhere? It looks like this is a no-no to me based on the following,. 

1. 1.4. Content Available Through the Plex Solution. In connection with the foregoing grant to use the Plex Solution, the Plex Solution allows you to view or otherwise access original Plex or third party Content. “Content” includes, but is not limited to, text, graphics, photos, sounds, audio, and videos in the form of, by way of example and not limitation, news reports, podcasts, videos, and music. The availability of such Content may change and not all Content is available in all formats. Use of the Content is subject to the license grant for the Plex Solution, but in addition, shall remain non-transferable and may be subject to additional license grant terms set by the respective third party licensor(s). Third-party Content displayed or accessible through the Plex Solution is protected by copyright and other intellectual property law and belongs to the respective owner(s) or licensor(s). This TOS does not grant you the right to copy (further), distribute, prepare derivative works, publicly display, or otherwise use any Content. You are expressly prohibited from engaging in or facilitating the unauthorized sharing or distribution of Content.

Edited by GWTPqZp6b
added TOS

BillOatman
1 hour ago, GWTPqZp6b said:

From Plex's TOS, are the tvthemes provided through the plex app only, or are they scraped from elsewhere?

All I know is people can add theme files to the plex collection.  Premium or not to use them I do not know.  I agree that TOS says "don't do that".

That's why I asked ... thanks all :)

I wonder what the current Emby commercial plugin uses to get it's TV themes. Hopefully not Plex.

BillOatman
17 hours ago, roaku said:

"Music files hosted by Plex will not exceed 30 seconds in length so as to abide by copyright restrictions."

🙃 lolwut

Ahh clever little buggers :)