Audiobooks - GENRE view shows by ALBUM View (v4.5.4)

unisoft

unisoft

Number of issues with the GUI on most Emby apps with Audio books:

1. "Latest Music" under SUGGESTIONS should be "Latest Audiobooks" for an Audiobooks library type.

2. "Albums" should be "Books"

3. "Artists" should be "Authors"

4. "Songs" should be "Chapters" or "Tracks"

5. Album Artists doesn't need to exist as a menu option.

GENRE View Issue:

When selecting to view by top menu option "GENERE" - an incorrect view of by ALBUMS is shown. If I select menu option FOLDERS then a correct view of GENRES is shown because my folder structure is created as GENRES with Artist/Author sub folders and ALBUMS/Books inside that. On other libraries like MUSIC I would get a list of Genres show based on ID3v2 tagging collated during library scan and then default made up images of 4 front covers making an overall image for a genre.

All ID3v2 meta data is tagged for Artist (e.g. Doctor Who), Album (eg. Series 1) and Genre (e.g. Sci-Fi) on every file.

example path/filename:

\Audiobooks\Sci-Fi\Doctor Who\Series 1\Doctor Who - Revenge Of The Daleks.m4b

\Audiobooks\Comedy\Only Fools and Horses\Series 1\Only Fools and Horses - Big Brother.m4b

\Audiobooks\GENRE\ARTIST\ALBUM\TITLE

(In my folders for each GENRE, I have a FODLER.JPG that is a library tile image representing the genre and FOLDERS view works perfectly)

Artwork Issues:

UNLIKE other libraries such as Music, Music Videos, Movies and TV Libraries, if I add backdrop.jpg and logo.jpg, only backdrop.jpg is shown at the Artist/Author level of the folder. Logo.jpg is not shown at all unless put into the ALBUM sub-folder, and once navigating from parent Artist/Author folder to an Album/Book sub-folder both logo.jpg and backdrop.jpg do not get shown UNLESS I put copies into that sub-folder.

Basically, the handling of artwork is not the same expectation as most other libraries in Emby. Normally backdrop.jpg and logo.jpg persist down the folder structure unless another one is in a sub-folder.

Hi, the upcoming 4.6 release will have some of these improvements. Thanks for the feedback.

unisoft
On 09/05/2021 at 16:21, Luke said:

Hi, the upcoming 4.6 release will have some of these improvements. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks Luke. Here is some background to the tag scan frustration with Audiobook content type.

I am almost tempted to create my Audiobook library as an additional MUSIC library instead.

Music library processes the meta data correctly whereas the Audiobook library scanning (apart from FOLDERS view) seems to be obsessed with the ALBUM tag. If I have ALBUM tags of "Series 1", "Series 2", I'd want them all aligned under an ARTIST tag of the book or radio programme (and as per music library scanning). The current logic for Audiobooks would list each of the albums as separate entities when viewing by GENRE. Music library looks at the actual GENRE metadata tag and create GENRES tiles based on the GENRE tags found, then ARTISTS listed from each genre, each artist then showing the ALBUM(s) under one view.

Music library processes the meta data correctly whereas the Audiobook library scanning (apart from FOLDERS view) seems to be obsessed with the ALBUM tag

Actually the two content types process tags the same way.

unisoft
On 13/05/2021 at 14:55, Luke said:

Actually the two content types process tags the same way.

It might process the metadata but the DISPLAY of it is NOT the same.

Genres under Audiobooks gets obsessed with showing ALBUMS as the view for any genre clicked on. MUSIC would show ARTIST.

Now under AUDIOBOOKS, Artist is really like AUTHOR or Programme Title. I could select "Susan Hill" who is the ARTIST/AUTHOR under genre of "Drama" and get a list of the Audiobooks then shown as ALBUMS (ALBUMS is the metadata ID3v2 tag and gets translated as "Book" or "Series" instead).

Currently, In the vertical theme, clicking a GENRE from top level menu option "GENRES" such as "Comedy" would give me a list of ALBUMS, so if "Dad's Army" had 3 series - it would appear 3 times in the overall list as there would be in effect, 3 albums (Series 1, Series 2, Series 3). Going back to the Music library display under a GENRE, it would show just artist of Dad's Army and only if you then clicked on that would it then show the 3 albums (in this case 3 series).

Today, the GA versions of Emby in the Vertical theme do not do this (Horizontal theme just shows FOLDERS view as there are no options but this works for me anyway). As the options are there for Vertical view apps (Apple TV/iOS/Android), I'd like them to give the correct view for when using the top level menu option for "GENRES". :)

Edited by unisoft

Right well the display shouldn't be exactly the same between teh ttwo.

unisoft
On 18/05/2021 at 17:05, Luke said:

Right well the display shouldn't be exactly the same between teh ttwo.

Yes, that's my point. They should be. They are the same underlying meta-data tags (ID3v2).

I've attached a picture to demonstrate. Going into the menu option of GENRES in an Audiobook library gives a page of ALBUMS not Artists (really Authors). So if I have multiple series, each series appears in the view. Expected result is as MUSIC library; in that you would get the ARTIST (Author) view for the genre chosen. When you then click on the Artist (Author) you then get a view of the Albums (Books or series).

Audiobook library gets the view wrong in current version; whereas music library gets a view from a chosen genre correct. Apart from semantics around ARTIST meaning AUTHOR and words like that, the rest of Audiobooks is correct. Its merely the GENRE menu option for Audiobook library that displays an incorrect view (i.e. don't do the view by ALBUMS tag and do it by ARTIST tag).

The picture attached show show an ALBUMS/BOOKS/SERIES view instead of ARTIST/Author view. The Album metadata tag for these files is correct in being assigned to a specific series that all of the series appear under an ARTIST/AUTHOR tag. It's the Emby display view that is wrong.

Capture.JPG

Edited by unisoft

unisoft
On 19/05/2021 at 19:29, Luke said:

Ok, I would try the 4.6 release once available. Thanks.

Right. Applied this release 4.6 version.

So using the NEW style wording of menu options in 4.6.x, LIBRARY AudioBooks, menu option of GENRES, still gives a BOOKS VIEW (formerly ALBUMS). I'd expect AUTHORS (formerly Artists).

I also noticed the new GENRES option in Music Library also gets this view wrong. It shows all albums under GENRES, when you would want a smaller list by seeing ARTISTS then when you click an artist you'd get all available music videos tagged in that genre for the artist.

As the 2 libraries use ALBUMS meta tag - why would you want that view of all albums? You'd expect to go into a genre category and see Artists (Authors) and the the list of Books (Albums). As I said Music library type did get this correct - yet today - its now incorrect. WTF is going on ;) ? Its now a pointless menu option as it doesn't not work properly.

Summary: "I'd like to listen to some music videos today....oooh I'll pick GENRES to select artists to help me decide which videos to play of genre tag 'POP'....... [items then displayed by Emby]: Oh that's a crappy list of just all ALBUMS alaphbetically sorted by its album name for 'Pop' genre by all artists with artists appearing multiple times for each album they have tagged in Pop genre".

It's plain incorrect to me. ARTIST then ALBUM view is what it should be to make it useful.

Music and Music Videos: GENRE > ARTIST > ALBUMS

Audiobooks: GENRE > AUTHOR > BOOKS

Edited by unisoft

I also noticed the new GENRES option in Music Library also gets this view wrong. It shows all albums under GENRES, when you would want a smaller list by seeing ARTISTS then when you click an artist you'd get all available music videos tagged in that genre for the artist.

Well it's impossible to make everyone happy, but the current view for genres takes inspiration popular music apps such as spotify and apple music. But of course it can always be expanded on in future updates.

unisoft
24 minutes ago, Luke said:

Well it's impossible to make everyone happy, but the current view for genres takes inspiration popular music apps such as spotify and apple music. But of course it can always be expanded on in future updates.

Do I need to put this as a feature request now then on the web site?

The view just makes no sense to me;  just not logical.

Yes that would be great, thanks. I think i recall someone asking about it before.