where are my TV channels?

justinrh
Go to solution Solved by justinrh,

justinrh

I set up my DVR a while back and I've forgotten where the channel listing is where I can show/hide channels.  I don't see half of the available channels (all are seen in the config EPG channel map list) in user's channel listing.  That tells me there must be a place where I can hide channels.  Where is that?

Also, a local broadcaster has added new channels but those also do not show up in the user's list.  I don't have any filter on, so why don't all the channels show?

I don't have the stated interface shown here.

Hi, what type of tuner do you have?  The pictures you linked to are built into the firmware on the SiliconDust HDHomeRun devices so you will only see that if using one of those tuners.

Normally, to scan for new channels you will want to run a scan on the device so it finds the new channels.  Then Emby will be able to pick them up as well.

justinrh

@cayars I do have an HDHomeRun but it doesn't show the same UI as in the article.  There are more channels available on the HR than what Emby is showing me, so how did I hide the missing channels?

Is your HDHR one of the original 2 tuner models?  If so it may not have the built in web interface as that came with 2nd gen tuners.

justinrh

I think it is.

So there is still the mystery of missing channels.  How did that happen?

11 hours ago, justinrh said:

I think it is.

So there is still the mystery of missing channels.  How did that happen?

Have you ran a scan using the HDHomeRun Setup software?
image.png.5d407364f722299d4a1f6ce297b01807.png

justinrh

@Luke Sorry, I did post a response - I don't know what happened to it!

I think this should exemplify the situation:

image.png.1a171f9bf47c393b48e3fb69fcd56282.png

Yep, I've done a scan.

If you have an older model HD Homerun without the built-in web interface, then the channel list will be coming from your Silicon dust account, so I would check there.

justinrh
10 minutes ago, Luke said:

If you have an older model HD Homerun without the built-in web interface, then the channel list will be coming from your Silicon dust account, so I would check there.

I don't have a SD account.

So far, I've seen that the channel list is derived from the HomeRun device config and an SD account.  There is no way in Emby to modify the list?  Any other place that regulates the channels list?  Any log files that would expose a detail about this?

Edited by justinrh

I think you do, but you just don't realize it. Please refresh the guide data in emby server, then attach the emby server log. thanks.

I never heard of an account either.  I always thought it just delivered all channel that it picks up ASSUMING you have the BDA drivers installed and setup the HDHomeRun for the correct BDA type.

justinrh
48 minutes ago, Luke said:

I think you do, but you just don't realize it. Please refresh the guide data in emby server, then attach the emby server log. thanks.

@Luke Server log attached.  Does Emby connect directly to the HomeRun, or does it go thru a middle piece to get the info?

@cayars I have the latest firmware version supported (20200225) for my model.  Tell me about how the driver (really, what driver?) would affect Emby.

image.png.1428793f53c40450fa81380e7230ce36.png

I just saw this in the tuner setup page: "Channels with DRM will not be imported."; but I don't think that has anything to do with my issue.

embyserver-63756263544.txt

Edited by justinrh

10 minutes ago, justinrh said:

@Luke Server log attached.  Does Emby connect directly to the HomeRun, or does it go thru a middle piece to get the info?

@cayars I have the latest firmware version supported (20200225) for my model.  Tell me about how the driver (really, what driver?) would affect Emby.

image.png.1428793f53c40450fa81380e7230ce36.png

I just saw this in the tuner setup page: "Channels with DRM will not be imported."; but I don't think that has anything to do with my issue.

embyserver-63756263544.txt 55.59 kB · 0 downloads

Older devices go through HDHR's cloud api. You can see the url right in your server log.

By the way, the help topic that was linked to eelier does contain a mention for your device:

Note: If you have an older HDHomeRun model that does not support DLNA or have a built in web server please perform these steps before continuing.

See here, we query your tuner for basic information with the first url:

2021-05-10 17:11:07.502 Info HttpClient: GET http://192.168.2.153/discover.json
2021-05-10 17:11:07.561 Info HttpClient: GET http://ipv4-api.hdhomerun.com/api/lineup?DeviceAuth=gHSPy7ECe5LJtqBO9qjfkco0

And then it tells us to use that second url in order to obtain your channel list. So that's where it's coming from.

That's good info about the cloud API Luke. Made a mental note of that one!
I don't have this device and have only seen them occasionally when helping other people.

Thankfully SD added the webserver to these devices.

@Luke what will be in the discover.json get request?

justinrh

@Luke That cloud API shows all the channels my HDHR app shows, so all that is square.

I think I found the issue - but I don't believe it!  I knew I had filtered the channels at one time.  So, I booted up Plex (where I first started using the DVR) and saw where the missing channels were toggled off (Plex has this functionality, to hide channels).  Emby and Plex are on the same machine.  How is Emby getting confused with Plex's settings?

Plex wasn't seeing the new channel that the local TV station just turned on, so I tried to do a channel scan but Plex errored out.  I couldn't even delete the tuner, re-establish and scan.  The only thing I can think of is a recent HDHR update I did while Plex was shut down, and it doesn't like it.  I can't fix/reset Plex's settings to test this any further.  (Maybe Plex corrupted my install since I mentioned on their forum I was leaving town... 🤣)

Update:  I rebooted the HDHR and now Plex can connect to it again, but even with all the channels toggled on, Emby is not showing all the channels.  I don't see how one could affect the other but that is the only thing that makes any sense.

Edited by justinrh

If you open the following URL in a web browser does it show your missing channel?

http://ipv4-api.hdhomerun.com/api/lineup?DeviceAuth=gHSPy7ECe5LJtqBO9qjfkco0

BillOatman

I wrote a little windows console app a long time ago that will interrogate the hdhomerun and create a m3u file with all the channels it reports.  Feel free to give it a try if you like.

HdHomerunM3U

HdHomerunM3U -DeviceID=123456 -Out=C:\MyDirectory\dummy.m3u

Note that DeviceID is unnecessary if you only have one hdhomerun on your network.

Edited by BillOatman

Update:  I rebooted the HDHR and now Plex can connect to it again, but even with all the channels toggled on, Emby is not showing all the channels.  I don't see how one could affect the other but that is the only thing that makes any sense.

We don't interact with that other software at all. Best guess is that it is saving configuring within your tuner itself or HDHR account, and that's why Emby also gets the changes.

justinrh
10 hours ago, cayars said:

If you open the following URL in a web browser does it show your missing channel?

http://ipv4-api.hdhomerun.com/api/lineup?DeviceAuth=gHSPy7ECe5LJtqBO9qjfkco0

See above about that call:  "That cloud API shows all the channels my HDHR app shows, so all that is square."

• Like 1

• Solution
justinrh
6 hours ago, Luke said:

We don't interact with that other software at all. Best guess is that it is saving configuring within your tuner itself or HDHR account, and that's why Emby also gets the changes.

I suspect that might have been the case.  But Emby wouldn't recognize the new channel list after I reset Plex (which, if our theory is totally correct, should have reset the Emby list).

So, I reset Emby the same way (delete guide and tuner, then re-establish them) and now Emby shows all channels!

Now the question is:  How do I hide channels in Emby?   LOL   Actually, with the 'show favorites at the top' option, it is not that bad to work around.

How do I hide channels in Emby?

You'll be able to in the upcoming 4.6 release. Thanks.

• Like 1