Direct Play Issue with Live TV using HD Homerun (Emby Issue Only)

mirdragon

mirdragon

@Luke, @cayars, @ebr

Just done a quick test on the Shield 2015 Pro while on coffee break, a quite a few of the SD channels are failing to play in direct mode with emby reporting unable to tune to channel, but hd is fine and some sd channels are fine but taking a while to show.

I'll try doing some more testing as and when i can

rbjtech
6 minutes ago, mirdragon said:

@Luke, @cayars, @ebr

Just done a quick test on the Shield 2015 Pro while on coffee break, a quite a few of the SD channels are failing to play in direct mode with emby reporting unable to tune to channel, but hd is fine and some sd channels are fine but taking a while to show.

I'll try doing some more testing as and when i can

Which channels ?

@pwhodges - The UK TV fixes are still only in the Beta (server, not client) and they appear to have resolved MOST of the issues I was having.  Even in a browser, HD channels work in 5-6 seconds, but they transcode as the browser obviously doesn't support raw transport streams.  I guess this startup is dependent on how fast your emby server can transcode.  All are glitchy for the first 20 seconds or so (micro pauses) - it then settles down. 

A few of my SD Channels don't work either - from the looks of the logs, the GraphRunner/PCR 'fixing' fails but I've not really looked into it as all I tend to watch now is the HD Channels.

mirdragon

@rbjtech

Just tested these channels

the following fail

4music, now music, 5usa, dave, really, bbc1,bbc2, sky arts, quest, dave ja vu, yesterday,itvbe

these work

more4,itv,ch4, 5, itv2,film4

The ones that work take a while to start playing and the ones that fail, if you enable live seek they start playing as emby starts encoding and the reason is listed as direct play disabled

Do those SD channels all have HD counter parts?
If so I would just use those and remove the SD from the channel list.

We still need to to try and handle what may be an issue with the SD channels but that at least should help you if the HD channels are available.

mirdragon

quest, bbc1, bb2, itv, ch4, ch5, bbc news 

have channels in hd that work

i do know bbc were to replace bbc1 with hd channels (not broadcast for local stuff), but i think its delayed and not sure if it just for certain providers like sky

Edited by mirdragon

rbjtech

have you recently re-tuned the HDHR/Tuner - as freeview changes things pretty often ?

For me - stream, launch time in a browser

4music, ok - sd mpeg2, 4 secs

now music, ? I don't even have the channel ..

5usa, ok - sd mpeg2, 4 secs

dave, ok - sd mpeg2, 4 secs

really, ok - sd mpeg2, 4 secs

bbc1, ok, bbc one London, sd mpeg2, 4 secs

bbc2, ok bbc2, sd mpeg2, 4 secs

sky arts, ok, sd mpeg2, 4 secs

quest, ok, sd mpeg2, 4 secs

dave ja vu,ok, sd mpeg2, 4 secs (looks badly interlaced though..)

yesterday,  ok, sd mpeg2, 4 secs

itvbe, ok, sd mpeg2, 4 secs

So for me, these are all ok except now music, which doesn't exist. 

Again this is the BETA server.

Edited by rbjtech

pwhodges

@rbjtech  I am using the beta server (the last tests were on 4.7.0.14).

Also, I don't usually watch the HD channels (though I may record them) because of the subtitles issue, which appears still unresolved in HD channels.  Also, in Oxford, if I watch the News then when the local news starts the broadcast stops and I have to retune (missing the start) because our local news isn't (when I last tried earlier this year) broadcast in the HD channel at all!

Paul

Spaceboy
On 21/10/2021 at 13:43, mirdragon said:

Are you based in UK? Have you set Emby to use direct play and direct play only, which means no pausing of the TV? Which version of the shield are you running? Are you running Emby (Server side)  on a seperate PC or on the Shield itselt

yep, in the uk

yep, all live tv is direct play. Actually one thing that has never worked for me is pausing a direct stream but its rare that i need it so i havent bothered trying to get it fixed. we record 80% of what we watch and only really use live for the news and sporting events.

2019 Shield

Emby running on a separate pc with the buffer on a SSD and OS on a nvme drive so its all pretty snappy. don't expect good results running emby on the shield

rbjtech
2 hours ago, pwhodges said:

@rbjtech  I am using the beta server (the last tests were on 4.7.0.14).

Also, I don't usually watch the HD channels (though I may record them) because of the subtitles issue, which appears still unresolved in HD channels.  Also, in Oxford, if I watch the News then when the local news starts the broadcast stops and I have to retune (missing the start) because our local news isn't (when I last tried earlier this year) broadcast in the HD channel at all!

Paul

Yea same in London - why they can't just overlay the local news (SD) using the HD broadcast is beyond me.  We get that 'red' screen instead which is most annoying !

On the subs - Do you mean other non-english subs as DVBSUBS (in English) appear to work perfectly for me on all HD Channels.

Edited by rbjtech

pwhodges

In a check just now, starting on my desktop, the web client played BBC1 SD, but hung when subtitles were requested; it also just hung when I tried BBC1 HD at all.  Theatre (Store and Desktop) was OK with BBC1 SD, and with HD started it in about 5 seconds - but requesting subtitles made the Desktop version crash (Store version was OK).

This time I tried my sticks as well.  The Roku (Streaming Stick +) took 18 seconds to start BBC1 whether SD or HD, and both showed subtitles (hooray! - they still didn't last time I tried).  The Firestick 4k started BBC1 HD in two seconds!, and showed subtitles too; however, on that device BBC1 SD just hung for ever with a rotating circle (like the web client).

On my pads, the Android was the same as the Firestick (no big surprise there, I guess).  The iPad is OK with BBC1 SD, but on HD requesting subs makes it hang.  The iPad is also very unresponsive when playing live TV - typically it takes five seconds to bring up the subs menu after touching the icon, for instance.

So it's still rather a mess, I'd say!

• Agree 1

mirdragon

@rbjtechyes the channels play on pc in a browser, but i'm running on shield tv, i wouldn't watch any through a browser, it will always be through the apps

I've even redone a scan of all channels on both units and same issue where some are not playing in SD with direct play set. Checked the same channels in Plex, Channels DVR and HDHR apps (if something not working I'll always check with HDHR app as this should always work) and they all work.

The Now music channel is Now 80s on channel number 76

On my Samsung Tab S6 in Emby the channels that play show as DirectPlay and again some don't 

ie BBC2, ITV, Ch4, 5,  ITVBe plays and shows DirectPlay

BBC1, Dave,  Dave ja vu, Yesterday won't play

mirdragon

Also noticed afterwards, all the channels it failed to play are locked, so had to reboot the units

On 10/23/2021 at 10:35 AM, mirdragon said:

Also noticed afterwards, all the channels it failed to play are locked, so had to reboot the units

This should be improved with the next release of the server. Thanks.

• Like 1

rbjtech
On 23/10/2021 at 15:35, mirdragon said:

If these are HDHR - are you aware you can remotely reboot them ?

mirdragon
1 hour ago, Luke said:

This should be improved with the next release of the server. Thanks.

Nice, as it causes problems when it doesn't release the tuner :(

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

If these are HDHR - are you aware you can remotely reboot them ?

Yes, I reboot both of mine through linux, when logged in via browser and webmin. There is no other way

Ideally it would be good if had this option within Emby - it sees the device and allows you to reboot it remotely by sending it the reboot command, but problem is just rebooting does not always remove the lock as once Emby has locked the tuner, it will automatically get locked again on reboot.

Only way to remove the lock is

to unlock tuner then close the stream - the stream can't be closed until the unlock is issued and completed

phsyically reboot the units by switching off at the wall

i use the following commands (on linux)

discover units - hdhomerun_config discover

tuner status - hdhomerun_config $unit get /tuner$X/status

stream info = hdhomerun_config $unit get /tuner$tuner/streaminfo (list channels on the current stream)

unlock tuner - hdhomerun_config $unit set /tuner$tuner/lockkey force

close stream - hdhomerun_config $unit set /tuner$tuner/channel none

reboot unit - hdhomerun_config $unit set /sys/restart self

I pass the following parameters to the script that I run

$unit is the unit I wish to control

$tuner is the tuner I wish to control

rbjtech
22 minutes ago, mirdragon said:

Yes, I reboot both of mine through linux, when logged in via browser and webmin. There is no other way

Do it via the CLI .. ;) (and yes, there is a Linux version of the tools ...)

https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/hdhomerun_config

edit - I'm confused - you say you reboot via the browser, then go onto to list the CLI reboot command ?

Edited by rbjtech

mirdragon

@rbjtechI already have the tools installed under linux - its a pc without any keyboard, mouse or monitor so can only ssh or access via browser

I've set up custom commands (which I listed in my post) within Webmin to do the tasks I want, I just select the device and enter the tuner

Ideally would be good if could do this within Emby, rather than having to try to do on a mobile or tablet.

I use Emby on my TV's and not my PC's and only rarely on my tablet as I find the HDHR app works the best on tablet and I never use Emby or my mobile

Screenshot 2021-10-26 223403.jpg

rbjtech
10 hours ago, mirdragon said:

@rbjtechI already have the tools installed under linux - its a pc without any keyboard, mouse or monitor so can only ssh or access via browser

I've set up custom commands (which I listed in my post) within Webmin to do the tasks I want, I just select the device and enter the tuner

Ideally would be good if could do this within Emby, rather than having to try to do on a mobile or tablet.

I use Emby on my TV's and not my PC's and only rarely on my tablet as I find the HDHR app works the best on tablet and I never use Emby or my mobile

Yea sorry I mis read your post - I thought you said the HDHR WebAdmin - ie the built in Web Server on the HDHR.   I'm with you now and agree - it would be nice to have the reset options in the Emby GUI - it wouldn't take a lot to do either as they already have the HDHR API installed.  Maybe raise as a Feature Request ? 

• 1 year later...
jmarionphd

HD homerun works for me on its native app and on Channels DVR--but for some reason--not EMBY or Plex.