Direct Play Issue with Live TV using HD Homerun (Emby Issue Only)

mirdragon

mirdragon
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Do recordings of these channels have the same problem?  If so, can you record a short one and give it to us for testing?

I've uploaded a short video - The Glenn Miller Story to the shared location I provided previously

This video won't play and nor did the live tv broadcast, but has recorded perfectly and can be played on a windows 10 pc

Can you PM me the location to this file so I can take a look as well?

Thanks,
Carlo

mirdragon
2 hours ago, cayars said:

Can you PM me the location to this file so I can take a look as well?

Thanks,
Carlo

It's in the 5th post of this thread. The link has all the files regarding the issue. 

Edited by mirdragon

Oh that's from 3 weeks ago.

Have you tried with the new 4.6 server?

mirdragon
10 hours ago, cayars said:

Oh that's from 3 weeks ago.

Have you tried with the new 4.6 server?

The link maybe from three weeks ago, but it is a shared location I've provided for this issue

There is a file in there called 'The Glenn Miller Story (1953).ts and the emby server log both from yesterday

And yes i mentioned I updated to the latest linux version (i forgot to add server in there) and this test was after updating

Also tested using the Shield TV and a Windows 10 PC as a server (latest versions available for download = 4.6.0.50)

Same version of client on Shield TV 2.0.09g as only version available atm and this is the same version available for manual installation

Edited by mirdragon

Here is the latest beta version you can sideload on the Shield TV which is currently 2.0.21

Unfortunately, beta is not going to help.  We've seen this issue before with some channels and it is something with the headers or other metadata or encoding that we haven't figured out yet that will not allow them to play until we repackage them with ffmpeg.

For internal reference, this is the "loading finished before preparation is complete" issue.

mirdragon

Installed the beta and gave test and left it's settings so it fellback to transcoding and originally started with Direct Play, then fellback to direct stream and reported direct play error so transcoding, but if set to direct play with no fallback to transcoding then the channels wouldn't play

also can't understand why it is wanting to transcode the audio to 7.1 on my shield tv that is connected directly to lg tv and not my avr

Edited by mirdragon

mirdragon

@ebr, @cayars

Both my shield tv's have updated to the latest experience 8.2.3 and Emby client has updated to 2.0.21g

But I still have the issue if set live tv option for direct play

If I untick all the options for the live tv, the channels will play as reports transcoding, yet initially they are shown as direct play

Also why is emby transcoding the audio to 7.1 when playing through the shield not going through an avr? surely it should be transcoding into the same audio output as what is being received ie stereo to stereo or 5.1 to 5.1, not stereo to 7.1?

I also have the issue when trying to switch channels, emby reports cannot tune to that channel at this moment, but select play again for it and it plays.

Again, checking Plex, Channels DVR, HDHomerun and Kodi they do not exhibit this behaviour

There must be something about the stream that Emby doesn't like if it starts out direct play but switches to transcoding.
By any chance are these 1080 channels and you've set the option to force the server to handle interlaced content?

@ebr will have to answer the question about audio.  Can you send an in app log (do you know how to do this)?

aja07

Re the transcoding, Dashboard reports that it is required due to live/recorded TV being in an invalid container, however Stats for Nerds shows transcoding reason as "Error".  Re the 7.1 transcoded audio, I am also seeing this for the first time where the source is Stereo as reported above.

mirdragon
12 hours ago, cayars said:

There must be something about the stream that Emby doesn't like if it starts out direct play but switches to transcoding.
By any chance are these 1080 channels and you've set the option to force the server to handle interlaced content?

@ebr will have to answer the question about audio.  Can you send an in app log (do you know how to do this)?

I've gone into the app on the shield and there was an option to send logs, so have done that

The channels are 1080 and if check under Plex they show as 1080p and 1080i depending on channel and broadcast showing

Hopefully, no issue with attaching the photographs taken.

These are from Plex, Emby and ChannelsDVR on the Shield 2015 Pro running experience 8.2.3 and Emby 8.0.21g, Shield is connected directly to HDMI port on LG TV and not through AVR.

My Shield 2019 Pro is still on 2.0.09g and that has the same issues and that is connected to my Marantz NR1711 which is then connected to my other LG TV

20210530_114747.jpg

20210530_114810.jpg

20210530_114826.jpg

20210530_114908.jpg

20210530_115054.jpg

20210530_115111.jpg

20210530_115238.jpg

mirdragon

checked settings on shield and the de-interlace options aren't enabled

i then re-enabled direct play and two broadcasts work on two HD channels and two don't (but they start as direct play), so to be able to watch without issues, have to disable the direct play option

20210530_121439.jpg

20210530_121549.jpg

20210530_121722.jpg

20210530_121730.jpg

20210530_121756.jpg

20210530_121808.jpg

Can you upload an ffmpeg log for one of the channels that has to transcode?

mirdragon
4 hours ago, cayars said:

Can you upload an ffmpeg log for one of the channels that has to transcode?

Here you go, the channels that were able to direct play this morning are now wanting to be transcoded

I've supplied two ffmpeg logs for tonight, 7933fe was for BBC 2 and 4b707 is for channel 5

The others are for the transcoding this morning

embyserver (3).txt ffmpeg-transcode-d14b707e-d157-4a2b-b7fc-007c7378bd8f_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-7933fe7a-40a4-4abd-8ad2-d2b22296fdce_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-52e24c8b-2f47-4d58-bdfe-f35e9e555bb9_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-5bdc80cb-d143-47c0-b71d-c4e2fcfc4883_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-560da929-8ebc-43c6-baa2-a5c042fbea4f_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-c6e1debc-3c12-48d5-afa5-d93850ba3b53_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-0103ee6b-6b69-435c-a1c0-bf79790627b6_1.txt

Edited by mirdragon
added this morning's transcoding logs

I only see one of the logs mentioned and it's insufficient as it's only half a log.

Can you play back a channel again and only upload the one ffmpeg log?

mirdragon
58 minutes ago, cayars said:

I only see one of the logs mentioned and it's insufficient as it's only half a log.

Can you play back a channel again and only upload the one ffmpeg log?

odd as there 1 x emby server log file in the post and 7 x ffmpeg logs

should be one attached to this post - this is for bbc 2 hd and played approximately 1 minute - went to transcode after about 10 seconds

now i also tried the emby app on the lg and that reported it couldn't direct play the audio format - painstakingly as it was (extremely slow and laggy the tv app) I tried all 5 hd channels and all the same

tried plex on the lg and that reported an issue with the audio, some channels it was able to direct stream though

could the tv's must be doing something with the audio/video when it comes in to the built in tuner to be able to play without issues, unless they automatically transcode the signal direct from the antenna

ffmpeg-transcode-964a5287-e513-456a-9026-33cb43e1be1f_1.txt

There are a lot of timing errors at the start of playback in this file.

@softworkz what do you think?

mirdragon
1 hour ago, cayars said:

There are a lot of timing errors at the start of playback in this file.

@softworkz what do you think?

is that when it tries to work out the audio format? as it sort of pauses then continues when gone onto transcode

I do have it set for normal speed when switching and you do get on the latest versions that it can't tune to the channel first time but press again and it fine.

other apps, i can switch channels without that issue

performed test using my main pc as the emby server and got the same results

Edited by mirdragon

Hi.  The audio channel display is erroneous.  I need to find why that is happening but it isn't expanding your stereo to 7.1.

On 5/30/2021 at 7:03 AM, mirdragon said:

I've gone into the app on the shield and there was an option to send logs, so have done that

Can you please provide exactly what time you did that, the Emby user that was logged in and exactly what you played?

mirdragon
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  The audio channel display is erroneous.  I need to find why that is happening but it isn't expanding your stereo to 7.1.

Can you please provide exactly what time you did that, the Emby user that was logged in and exactly what you played?

It was roughly a few minutes before making the post, i believe it was the user shared and it was probably friends on channel 5 based on the screenshots provided in the post

as for the messages about 7.1 my avr is 7.1 capable, but why is it picking that up when playing back on certain devices

Can the Shield app not do the same as the standard android app? Testing LiveTV through version 3.1.94 on Samsung Tab S6 and some of the HD Channels will Direct Play, the ones it can't it after a about 10 seconds or so, it reports transcoding, then pauses then switches to direct stream. There are no settings on the android app to change anything to do with LiveTV configuration from what I can see

Edited by mirdragon

3 hours ago, mirdragon said:

It was roughly a few minutes before making the post, i believe it was the user shared and it was probably friends on channel 5 based on the screenshots provided in the post

The nearest log to that post was a full 30 minutes prior, does not have a logged in user and does not have any playback in it.  Could you please repeat the test and send a log directly from the playback screen (cog menu)?

3 hours ago, mirdragon said:

my avr is 7.1 capable, but why is it picking that up when playing back on certain devices

It isn't picking anything up about your AVR.  The channel report in that situation is simply wrong.  I don't know yet where it is coming from.

mirdragon
10 hours ago, ebr said:

The nearest log to that post was a full 30 minutes prior, does not have a logged in user and does not have any playback in it.  Could you please repeat the test and send a log directly from the playback screen (cog menu)?

There is no ability to send logs from the playback screen on the Shield when watching content. The only way to send logs is when at the login screen to select a user.

Even on the dashboard when looking on pc to see what is happening, the device currently playing and having content transcoded does not have the ability to send logs either

The attached log is from 7:45 for user shared this morning watching GMB on ITV HD and is for 5 minutes of watching

ffmpeg-transcode-f3edfa4f-82f9-4ac5-ae2a-1b94d8d042f4_1.txt

7 hours ago, mirdragon said:

There is no ability to send logs from the playback screen on the Shield when watching content. The only way to send logs is when at the login screen to select a user.

Hi.  Please see the instructions for sending a log from the app to find out how to get the options.  In addition to what is mentioned there, there will be a "Send Logs" option under the cog menu during playback.

Thanks.