Direct Play Issue with Live TV using HD Homerun (Emby Issue Only)

mirdragon

mirdragon

I have emby installed on a intel i5-4460 with 16gb ram and GTX 750 TI graphics card, the machine is running linux server 20.04 with the nvidia 460 drivers. I have a HDHomerun Quatro and this is configured through emby.

I watch through two nvidia shield pro devices, one is 2015 model and other is 2019 model. If I select Direct Play I have issues playing the Live TV stream to my LG TV's, but if I turn of direct play it works. Android TV is running 2.0.09G

If I test on our Apple TV 4K it reports it is playing direct play to the same tv

If then try channels dvr on the shields, this works fine when selecting direct play

So is there a bug in the latest version of the app for android tv where it will not work with Direct Play?

2 hours ago, mirdragon said:

So is there a bug in the latest version of the app for android tv where it will not work with Direct Play?

Hi.  No there is not to our knowledge.

2 hours ago, mirdragon said:

I have issues playing the Live TV stream to my LG TV's

Can we please look at an example of this?  What "issues"?

3 hours ago, mirdragon said:

I have emby installed on a intel i5-4460 with 16gb ram and GTX 750 TI graphics card, the machine is running linux server 20.04 with the nvidia 460 drivers. I have a HDHomerun Quatro and this is configured through emby.

I watch through two nvidia shield pro devices, one is 2015 model and other is 2019 model. If I select Direct Play I have issues playing the Live TV stream to my LG TV's, but if I turn of direct play it works. Android TV is running 2.0.09G

If I test on our Apple TV 4K it reports it is playing direct play to the same tv

If then try channels dvr on the shields, this works fine when selecting direct play

If you go to settings->Live TV do you have it set to direct play on Android ATV?

mirdragon

Yes, I had it set to Direct Play and as said if disable it, the channels play fine.

I took a couple of photos of one channel, where in emby it shows it's transcoding while plex/channels it's playing direct no transcoding for the same channel

I'll try to get a couple more and post them up tomorrow

Edited by mirdragon
  • Like 1

Maybe, lets see what one of the devs say.

Audio is stream copying.  It is de-interlacing on the server.  Assuming that you don't have the options turned on to force this, the next server release should allow it to remux or direct play instead.

• Like 1

mirdragon
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Audio is stream copying.  It is de-interlacing on the server.  Assuming that you don't have the options turned on to force this, the next server release should allow it to remux or direct play instead.

i've tried with the setting both on and off and doesn't play until you enable the live feature so can pause the tv

What exactly do you mean by "it doesn't play"?  What happens?

mirdragon
40 minutes ago, ebr said:

What exactly do you mean by "it doesn't play"?  What happens?

ignore that been a long day - i had been testing with the stream copy enabled/disabled and when set playback to direct play i just got the spinning circle - but direct play for audio does work as when enable live view option and check the stats it says direct play for audio

but just done some more testing and added two photos to the link i posted further up

On both of these Emby is doing direct play, but i noticed if i change channels to another hd channel  i get the buffering issue and sometimes can go back to the original channel without issue, but other times i get the buffering.

i rotated the emby log prior to testing this and have attached it after completing the latest test, hopefully it will provide a bit more info

I also exited emby and reloaded it and problem persisted, i also ensured closed all background apps and retested.

embyserver.txt

Edited by mirdragon

7 minutes ago, mirdragon said:

but i noticed if i change channels to another hd channel  i get the buffering issue and sometimes can go back to the original channel without issue, but other times i get the buffering.

Hi. What is "the buffering issue"?

mirdragon
35 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi. What is "the buffering issue"?

the bit where you see the spinning circle on the screen but nothing plays until you switch to live view

39 minutes ago, mirdragon said:

switch to live view

And "live view" is...?

mirdragon
1 hour ago, ebr said:

And "live view" is...?

sorry, the live seek feature

mirdragon
47 minutes ago, Luke said:

Is it consistent?

yes it is consistent, only with emby

I can exit emby go to plex and channels play fine, exit plex and go to channels dvr and that plays fine, come back to emby and have same problem with channels not working

I've set emby to record two hd channels later on tonight to see if it actually records them or has problems and they fail

mirdragon

ok done some testing last night,

emby recorded from the channels without issue, but could not perform direct play back through either of my Shield TVs for the items that were recorded.

I copied the files to another location and got Plex to play them without any issues using direct play

mirdragon
On 07/05/2021 at 14:01, cayars said:

@ebr could this be an AAC_LATM issue?

Thought I'll give another update as checked the server when had to change to live seek and it looks to be the audio that is being transcoded

Transcoding (25 fps)
21.0 Mbps H264 AAC_LATM

• Thanks 1

mirdragon

works fine on a lower specced apple tv, just don't really want to use that as remote is fiddly and awkward to navigate the app

Hi there, have you tried with the latest update to the android tv app?

mirdragon

My Android TV version is still on 2.0.0.9g and says there are no updates available

On checking the Play Store on PC it still shows 2.0.0.9g is the only version available for me to install

Do recordings of these channels have the same problem?  If so, can you record a short one and give it to us for testing?

mirdragon

Yes, they do, i've also updated to the latest linux version today and same issue through Android TV client

but it's weird as some days they will play the channel without issues, so i have a feeling it's down to how they are broadcast but only affects emby as the same recordings through a different app or via windows media player are fine

i'll try try and do a short recording later

Edited by mirdragon