Add to Play Queue control to be available directly in album's playlist browse view

shaddupayourace

shaddupayourace

Hello Emby Devs, hello community members  (my first post, though i am a very *very* happy emby user for over 1 year now)

i have performed a date search for this request and didn't find this (please don't shoot me if i missed an existing thread)

A nice to have feature request would be for the "add to play queue" control to also be made available when browsing album song lists. In other words, for "add to play queue" to be available as a one click widget in a column, right beside "add to playlist" and not hidden behind the elllipses (it can still stay there too).

please also forgive the very rudimentary graphic (i'm using paint on a work computer during work time. ..oops!)

thank you Devs for an excellent product and for your considerations 

2021-05-06_141107.thumb.png.bdf95a37ae22d0c7fac6a5b80fb2ce03.png

Edited by shaddupayourace
typo
  • Like 1

Hi.  Doesn't clicking the item title basically give you that already?

shaddupayourace

Hi Ebr,

clicking a track will immediately play it, it won't enqueue it  (add to play queue).

you can right mouse click a track and then "add to play queue", but when there is a widget for add to playlist (as in to create a playlist for playback later) then why not also a widget for add to play queue ?

I'm more likely to want to throw tracks to the existing now playing list, than to create a playlist for later playback - though i do that also.

many thanks for your quick response

greetings from Germany :  )

Hi, if you click the + button to add to a playlist, you'll also see an add to play queue button if something is currently playing. I put that there out of convenience.

I think your idea has merit though and I don't see a problem with it, other than the icons would need to be obvious and not require explanation about what they do.

shaddupayourace

thanks Luke for pointing out that after left click, add to playlist is also on the 2nd level screen   (still 2 clicks though : )  )

for a quick image of reference, i had just copy/pasted "the add to playlist" icon to another column ... if there was a more representative icon of adding to the now-playing queue

i also appreciate that the request does indeed risk cluttering what is already a very neat and tidy (and self-explanatory) interface. If you want to close this and answered/resolved, that's ok. I hadn't actually noticed the add to play queue in the next view. two left clicks is a good workflow.  left click on ellipses, popup menu, again left click, or right click, popup menu, left click, are both not as nice workflows.

cheers
day

shaddupayourace

were this to be implimented, i'd suggest a visually different icon to the existing one which you currently are using both for "add to playlist" and "add to play queue".

meaningfully, using the hamburger but with an arrow (like the amazon arrow) travelling vertically downwards from top to bottom of the 3 bars would convey the sense of throwing a track to the bottom of a queue

I think I mentioned something like this before.. somewhere in the forum... LOL to get around the extra prompt when clicking on tracks to play them.. I think that I was asking for this to be a default action.. to add to the play queue.. ( and not the whole album, just the track ) no prompt for clearing it ( which can be done manually if needed )... and having actual playlist creation as an option, but still workable... as separate task.. with multi-select in mind.. for both..

Most players are like this... clicking on a file from the filesystem usually adds to a cleared playlist per track ... but within a player, clicking on an item simply plays it.. because EMBY is a little different... I thought this would be a good idea.. and more convenient for normal use while retaining playlist creation... as an option which you don't mind so much when truly working on a playlist.

So instantaneous play unless other items are Enqueue.. in which it is added to the end of the queue... and still the ability to save as a playlist like it has already...

Hopefully these are readable after resize..

PLAY ACTIONS AND QUEUE SEPARATION

05_06.2021_100406.jpg.8b83b8241a49873e0c00deb490ff013d.jpg

For multi-selection options

05_06.2021_100856.jpg.8e809215a0b962f96f4cb04797687321.jpg

This seems like a redundancy, and inconvenient. Playing selections from Queue and Playlist should become more fluid and easy.

05_06.2021_101501.jpg.61e241b3028023c17f6627c7bb635a56.jpg

Will come back with a video of the issue if it helps..

Video I promised.. It contains several weird behaviors.. one of which is mentioned above by the original poster.. the others are relative to another thread.. I made five attempts and dumped 10 tries to get this right as I couldn't keep a train of clicking down.. LOL.. This is short but should do the trick.. To demonstrate the difficulty one might see when trying play music.. depending on the screen they are in.. I think it really deserves another thread of its own somewhere.. I am trying not to hijack having a related issue.. so apologies if I do.. :) but this does make a case to get some of these things changed.. in some manner in a logistical approach.. I will make a longer video if the forum does start a thread to address the music area of EMBY...

PLAY QUEUE BEHAVIOR

8 hours ago, Hxemby001 said:

Video I promised.. It contains several weird behaviors.. one of which is mentioned above by the original poster.. the others are relative to another thread.. I made five attempts and dumped 10 tries to get this right as I couldn't keep a train of clicking down.. LOL.. This is short but should do the trick.. To demonstrate the difficulty one might see when trying play music.. depending on the screen they are in.. I think it really deserves another thread of its own somewhere.. I am trying not to hijack having a related issue.. so apologies if I do.. :) but this does make a case to get some of these things changed.. in some manner in a logistical approach.. I will make a longer video if the forum does start a thread to address the music area of EMBY...

PLAY QUEUE BEHAVIOR

No need to wait for someone else to make a thread. You can create one anytime.

shaddupayourace

hello Hxemby001,

i totally agree with you in so far that if i tap/click a song in the album tracklisting view, i'd prefer NOT for that and all following tracks to be added to a new dynamic playlist.

If i tap/click a song  my preferred choice is for it to be played immediately when nothing else is already playing and enqueued if there is already a song currently playing, and send to end of queue if there is already a queued playlist of songs following current playing song.  i personally don't see much benefit to the function "add selected and all that follow" to a new now-playing (dynamic) playlist.

if a selected/tapped/clicked song, and only the selected song, gets enqueued (to end of the current playlist queue) because another song is currently playing, then this modification to current functionality would address the request of my first post, and there would then be no need for an additional widget/control.

cheers
Day

those darned typos

• 2 months later...
shaddupayourace

@Luke  only today, i properly noticed a new multi-select control when browsing album song lists; this is a great functional enhancement.

strangely, the control doesn't show in Firefox (90.0, 64-bit) my preferred browser, but it is showing in Chromium (91.0.4472.114 (Official Build) Arch Linux (64-bit)). No script blocking is happening (for Emby site) under Firefox, so i have no clue why the control doesn't show in Firefox, but i'm very pleased that this functionality is, in principle,  there for me. Emby server is 4.7.0.3 beta, Armhf

many thanks for this

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, shaddupayourace said:

@Luke  only today, i properly noticed a new multi-select control when browsing album song lists; this is a great functional enhancement.

strangely, the control doesn't show in Firefox (90.0, 64-bit) my preferred browser, but it is showing in Chromium (91.0.4472.114 (Official Build) Arch Linux (64-bit)). No script blocking is happening (for Emby site) under Firefox, so i have no clue why the control doesn't show in Firefox, but i'm very pleased that this functionality is, in principle,  there for me. Emby server is 4.7.0.3 beta, Armhf

many thanks for this

Not sure I follow, would not think 32 and 64 bit would be different.  Or am I missing something?

multi.thumb.jpg.1a9a877cdb2a3d3af7d95a6a51d2a704.jpg

Nightly FF92

image.thumb.png.df0265a260579e0a693d0717b0fac248.png

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, shaddupayourace said:

it was this control i was meaning ...

Multi select in Chromium (20210716_220808).png

Gotcha @LukeThis is missing/broken at album level via FF

7 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Gotcha @LukeThis is missing/broken at album level via FF

Yes indeed it is. Thanks.