Feature wish in MediaBrowser Classic

EsDeeEm

EsDeeEm

Wouldn't it be great if you could change the audio and/or subtitle track from a video (e.g. MKV files with multiple audio tracks) directly from MediaBrowser? This is (for me) the only thing missing... Is that something that is technically possible? When I play movies in MediaBrowser Classic, it looks like it is playing in a stand alone player and not using the functionalities of MediaCenter...

breezytm

This has been answered so many times. Google is your friend my friend. 

MBC passes the playback directly to Windows Media Center. 

It would only be possible if we run playback through the Server and transcode all content in order to select specific audio and/or burn in subs.  

Or, more remote possibility, if I can find some programmatic way of talking to a specific codec to tell it to make these changes.  But, that would depend on a specific codec (I'd choose LAV if I did it) and whether or not it provides that capability.

breezytm

It would only be possible if we run playback through the Server and transcode all content in order to select specific audio and/or burn in subs.  

Or, more remote possibility, if I can find some programmatic way of talking to a specific codec to tell it to make these changes.  But, that would depend on a specific codec (I'd choose LAV if I did it) and whether or not it provides that capability.

I remember we had that conversation in the past. If you are willing to treat MBC install like MBT then it may be possible. What I mean by that is controlling the filters during the install. The rest is clearly doable since mediaControl and MCERemotePlus is already doing it. If anyone choose not the install them during the initial install but want to do their own thing then that's their business. 

I think your concern was not being able to do that and keep the update transparent (silent). Would you not being a able to just say "if these folder paths already exist then skip this part of the code, which is installing the filters, and continue to the rest of the install." Again, I am just speculating here, this may make it possible to do a fresh install and an update using the same built. When i update MBT it doesn't ask me to install the filters again. 

I hope I am making some sense  :D

Edited by breezytm

Yeah, I think it is possible but I'm not sure with what level of effort (those programs you mentioned are not trivial).  I'm seeking help from LAV on that issue.

There are a few ways I could handle the issue of whether or not LAV is on the system so that is a secondary concern right now.

breezytm

Yeah, I think it is possible but I'm not sure with what level of effort (those programs you mentioned are not trivial).  I'm seeking help from LAV on that issue.

There are a few ways I could handle the issue of whether or not LAV is on the system so that is a secondary concern right now.

They may not be important but they do clarify one thing. It's doable, which the point i was trying to make. Also I've always been a fan of the idea of installing the filters through the initial install because it gives you, the programmer, a general idea of how things are configured to lets say 90% of your clients. Right now you don't have a clue and that's not always good nor productive.

I used Lav for a while and didn't like it for audio since it has an issue with track labeled as "default". I don't think I plan on going back. Just saying. 

You've done great work so far and I haven't actually had a real complain yet. I believe in your ability to figure this out.