ASS Subtitles not showing on web app

frankmb

frankmb

I have anime episodes that use ASS subtitles where only some of the episodes' subtitles work in the Web App in Chrome. The strange thing is that when watching these same episodes in Emby Theater, the subtitles for all of them work. If I play these same episodes directly with VLC they also all work.

Is there a way I could send an episode where subtitles are not working in the web app?

I'm running Emby server 4.5.4.0

frankmb

embyserver.txt

Here is the log. I started the server and played a few seconds of an episode where the subtitles are not displayed in the Web App.

There was no transcoding.

Hi, your log file looks like it's streaming the ass file.

Have you tried a different browser or checked to make sure you don't have any browser addons interfering?

frankmb
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Hi, your log file looks like it's streaming the ass file.

Have you tried a different browser or checked to make sure you don't have any browser addons interfering?

I just tried playing the same episode using Firefox and Microsoft Edge and I get the same issue as in Chrome. (all on Windows)

Thanks for checking.  @Lukeanything else you need to look into this?

Hi there @frankmb, please try again with the newly released Emby Server 4.6 and let us know how that compares. thanks !

3 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there @frankmb, please try again with the newly released Emby Server 4.6 and let us know how that compares. thanks !

Been doing some testing of this in Android and just gave it a test in Chrome (transcoding) and the ass subs are not showing correctly.

Interesting.  What I just said above is using hardware transcoding (nvidia).  If I turn off hardware transcode then the ass subs show correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
frankmb

Sorry for not replying. I haven't updated yet to 4.6. It looks like there is a lot of bug fixing with 4.6.1 and 4.6.2. I'll check if it changes anything for the subtitles once I update.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2021 at 3:15 PM, frankmb said:

Sorry for not replying. I haven't updated yet to 4.6. It looks like there is a lot of bug fixing with 4.6.1 and 4.6.2. I'll check if it changes anything for the subtitles once I update.  

Great, thanks.

On 5/20/2021 at 9:56 PM, cayars said:

Been doing some testing of this in Android and just gave it a test in Chrome (transcoding) and the ass subs are not showing correctly.

On 5/20/2021 at 9:59 PM, cayars said:

Interesting.  What I just said above is using hardware transcoding (nvidia).  If I turn off hardware transcode then the ass subs show correctly.

@cayars - What file did you use to test this?

26 minutes ago, softworkz said:

@cayars - What file did you use to test this?

The couple ass subs I've gotten from users is ok in 4.7.0.2 with NVIDIA.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cayars said:

The couple ass subs I've gotten from users is ok in 4.7.0.2 with NVIDIA.

OK, fine. Thanks!

• Like 1

Should have mentioned also tried them on Synology with Intel Quicksysnc as well.

On 6/4/2021 at 3:15 PM, frankmb said:

@frankmb this should be resolved in 4.6.3, so please try that. Thanks.

frankmb

I'm still running 4.5.4 and the problem seems to have fixed itself. I don't understand why but the subtitles are working for the same episodes that didn't work before.

Hi, Glad you got it working but you may be better off upgrading to 4.6.3 when you have a chance.

frankmb

I finally upgraded to 4.6.3 and the ASS subtitles work in both the Web App and Emby Theatre for Windows.

One thing I noticed is that both players are using a different font for the subtitles. I don't know if this is expected behavior or not.

Any chance you could grab a picture of the same scene from both to compare?

frankmb

here is the comparison.

emby theater for windows:

1415752847_embytheatreforwindows.thumb.png.a0f9d33b42dbebf705c073cf615ee22a.png

emby web in chrome:

501689688_EmbywebChrome.thumb.png.50cea8ae1353954e442a66d4ebaa459b.png

Edited by frankmb

Thanks,

That's clearly a difference.
We will look into this.