No Forced Subtitles

jriker1

pwhodges
49 minutes ago, jriker1 said:

I've seen where Emby shows this with the additional detail.  Is there some format I need to save the "Name" to so it shows in Emby with more detail? 

No special format - just tell Emby to use the embedded names instead of making up its own (on the Advanced tab of the main Library settings):

embedded.jpg.de0b864336fd5ec1b13a4f5c9bea910a.jpg

Paul

• Like 1

jriker1
On 5/6/2021 at 4:54 PM, Happy2Play said:

If your full subtitles do not have the foreign parts also that would be a defect in the subtitles itself to me.

I have never seen a fully length movie that contained the foreign subtitles translation in the main subtitles.  They are always separate.  That's why they are "forced".  The player will ALWAYS play them if you have subtitles off or not.  On my BD Player if I have subs off, it still shows the foreign parts translated to English.  If I export the subs from the main Blu-ray there is the small piece of foreign forced parts, which show no matter what, and the full subtitles which doesn't contain the forced pieces.  I have seen this with 100's of feature movies.

jriker1
On 5/6/2021 at 5:31 PM, pwhodges said:

No special format - just tell Emby to use the embedded names instead of making up its own (on the Advanced tab of the main Library settings):

embedded.jpg.de0b864336fd5ec1b13a4f5c9bea910a.jpg

Paul

Thanks for this one.  May Emby has a lot of settings burried in different areas.

jriker1
On 5/10/2021 at 4:28 PM, Luke said:

Hi, have your questions been answered?

Really no, but if the assumption is that what I see and believe should be true with subtitles is not what the Emby crew believes then maybe it's "answered" based on not being able to agree on how these things should work?

rbjtech

From my perspective, this is a summary of how forced subs work.

If any external subtitle (name.forced.languagecode.srt/ass etc) or internal flagged 'forced' flag is set (in a mkv etc) - and the CLIENT has been set to 'Forced Only' (my recommendation) - then emby will play the external forced sub as a preference (if available), followed by the the internal forced subtitle. 

If no forced subtitles are available or flagged, then emby will fallback to the Default subtitle - which will NOT play by default as you have asked it to only play forced.

For any title + user, the selected subtitle will be remembered - so should you decide to overwrite the 'forced' subtitle with any other subtitle, then next time (for that user) it will remember that selection.  

1 hour ago, jriker1 said:

Really no, but if the assumption is that what I see and believe should be true with subtitles is not what the Emby crew believes then maybe it's "answered" based on not being able to agree on how these things should work?

It's not about what anyone believes, it's about how configure your options in emby. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

crusher11
10 hours ago, jriker1 said:

I have never seen a fully length movie that contained the foreign subtitles translation in the main subtitles.  They are always separate.  That's why they are "forced".  The player will ALWAYS play them if you have subtitles off or not.  On my BD Player if I have subs off, it still shows the foreign parts translated to English.  If I export the subs from the main Blu-ray there is the small piece of foreign forced parts, which show no matter what, and the full subtitles which doesn't contain the forced pieces.  I have seen this with 100's of feature movies.

This is completely wrong. 

pwhodges
13 hours ago, jriker1 said:

I have never seen a fully length movie that contained the foreign subtitles translation in the main subtitles.  They are always separate.  That's why they are "forced".

That implies that the player needs to be able to render two sets of subtitles at once if the viewer needs the full subs - this is not normal - certainly for software players - I can't say for hardware.  If you want that behaviour, the way to get it is to burn in the forced subs, which will leave you able to select the full subs when you wish.

Alternatively, if the full subs really don't contain the forced subs, then you could extract both and combine them in a suitable subtitle editor.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

crusher11

The way it works on discs is that there's a subtitle track containing the dialog. Any individual subtitle line can be flagged as "forced", which means that line will show up whether the subtitle track is enabled or not. It's not a separate track.

And yeah, playing back multiple subtitle tracks simultaneously is not a thing.