Emby live TV on Samsung vs other

CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy

Hey, I'm looking into a TV and I want to know what live TV and the guide is like on Samsung. I've used it on Roku which is pretty good on a fast enough Roku. CCwGTV (Android TV) is pretty close to a nice Roku in my limited experience with both.

How does Samsung stack up now? My suspicion is that it is less frequently developed. Is there a platform among these that gets the most development? Would that be Android TV? I'm trying to look at release notes to get a general idea but it's hard to follow the dates.

Thanks!

Hi, it gets as much development as any of our other apps and is updated regularly.

tenchiowo

I have a higher end 2020 Samsung model TV and have use the Samsung TV Emby app through the and its good and everyone in the house has no issues using it. But if you are going use it as your primary method of viewing TV I would say that there are better options available. Some background, I have been using Emby since the Mediabrowser days and have seen many different versions of guides ranging from Windows Media Center, Amazon Fire app, Roku, Android Nvidia, Web Browsers, and Mobile devices. The Samsung app works in a basic sense but it has issues with updating times in the guide and the scrolling is a bit clunky. If you are purchasing a new Television I would find one that has a good screen and skip the smart features and if your budget allows it pick up the tube version of the NVIDIA Shield TV. I have found that has the best menu's, time and show tracking tracking available short of using another PC to output Emby from. 

Hope this helps, 

CharlieMurphy
11 minutes ago, tenchiowo said:

I have a higher end 2020 Samsung model TV and have use the Samsung TV Emby app through the and its good and everyone in the house has no issues using it. But if you are going use it as your primary method of viewing TV I would say that there are better options available. Some background, I have been using Emby since the Mediabrowser days and have seen many different versions of guides ranging from Windows Media Center, Amazon Fire app, Roku, Android Nvidia, Web Browsers, and Mobile devices. The Samsung app works in a basic sense but it has issues with updating times in the guide and the scrolling is a bit clunky. If you are purchasing a new Television I would find one that has a good screen and skip the smart features and if your budget allows it pick up the tube version of the NVIDIA Shield TV. I have found that has the best menu's, time and show tracking tracking available short of using another PC to output Emby from. 

Hope this helps, 

That's exactly what I was looking for. I was trying to choose between a Sony with Android TV and the Samsung. I pulled the trigger on the Samsung last night though. Ooops.

I might get a CCwGTV for it, or maybe I'll just return it. Thanks for the info! I had noticed the guide was really bad on a 2016 Samsung, I assumed it was just lacking RAM. 😞

Sammy

As already mentioned, go with an AndroidTV. The AndroidTV Emby app is much better than the Tizen Emby app.

If you can still find a dumb TV you'd be better off with a stand alone AndroidTV device too.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
dochartung
On 5/5/2021 at 2:27 PM, Luke said:

Hi, it gets as much development as any of our other apps and is updated regularly.

Luke is it possible to get the Tizen app development equal to the Android version for ie Amazon Firestick. 2 big features that DO NOT work on Tizen is Chapter selection on movies and in live TV the guide pop-up during live TV while streaming. Please can the devs get this done? 

SamES
12 hours ago, dochartung said:

features that DO NOT work on Tizen is Chapter selection on movies

Do you mean from the details screen (to commence playback) or chapter selection while watching?

• Agree 1

marcustaz
2 minutes ago, SamES said:

Do you mean from the details screen (to commence playback) or chapter selection while watching?

Chapter section whilst playing a movie and whilst watching live TV to be able to bring up the guide to change a channel without having to fully back out to the guide. 

SamES
33 minutes ago, marcustaz said:

Chapter section whilst playing a movie

OK, this is a known issue and feature request.  Thanks.  

• Agree 1

marcustaz
45 minutes ago, SamES said:

OK, this is a known issue and feature request.  Thanks.  

Excellent good to know. I was going to load the latest beta, do you know of its in there before I go through the trouble? 

SamES

No, this will require development in the web client before it can be merged into the Samsung client

• Agree 1

marcustaz
6 minutes ago, SamES said:

No, this will require development in the web client before it can be merged into the Samsung client

Great to know, thank you for saving me the work!