Emby Jail Not Loading

Ravenshield

Ravenshield

I was running FreeNAS 11.2 and Emby in a Virtual Machine but something happened this morning and FreeNAS would no longer boot.

I upgraded to TrueNAS (current version) and now that loads but my virtual machine no longer works.

Rather then screw with that I decided to start with a fresh jail but it doesn't start Emby Server properly.

The IP address is pingable but Emby server doesn't start

"service emby-server start" just says "Starting emby-server." but when you check for running processes, nothing called emby is running

Logs seem to be in /var/db/emby-server/logs but they don't show errors.

Not really sure what else to look at.

Any help is appreciated.

MRobi
2 hours ago, Ravenshield said:

I was running FreeNAS 11.2 and Emby in a Virtual Machine but something happened this morning and FreeNAS would no longer boot.

I upgraded to TrueNAS (current version) and now that loads but my virtual machine no longer works.

Rather then screw with that I decided to start with a fresh jail but it doesn't start Emby Server properly.

The IP address is pingable but Emby server doesn't start

"service emby-server start" just says "Starting emby-server." but when you check for running processes, nothing called emby is running

Logs seem to be in /var/db/emby-server/logs but they don't show errors.

Not really sure what else to look at.

Any help is appreciated.

How did you install Emby in the new jail?

If you can access the logs, you should attach it here.

MRobi
3 hours ago, Ravenshield said:

I didn't have to. The setup for the jail does it automatically.

Creating a jail in TrueNAS does not automatically install emby.

Did you do it manually through shell or did you install the community plugin?

It may also sound really simple, but are you entering the port when trying to access it? IE: http://192.168.x.x:8096

Ravenshield

If you choose the Emby Jail from the Plugin section, it auto installs everything. 

Has done for years. Only recently was it moved to the community section rather then the official plugin section

MRobi
22 hours ago, Ravenshield said:

If you choose the Emby Jail from the Plugin section, it auto installs everything. 

Has done for years. Only recently was it moved to the community section rather then the official plugin section

There's been a few issues with the community plugin recently. Mainly surrounding FFMPEG, which shouldn't cause it not to load. Regardless, for now the best installation method would be using the script found here. Which also requires manually creating the jail.

MRobi
21 hours ago, Ravenshield said:

I followed these instructions for the beta and ran into the same issues

https://emby.media/freebsd-server.html

Did you want those server logs?

One more thing to try.... is your package version set to latest or quarterly? While I'm not seeing anything in your log files that looks like an error, an out of date dependency could cause this type of issue. The community plugin sets it to default, when manually installing you may also need to manually do this.

Ravenshield

I think what I am going to do here is rebuild the FreeNAS server from scratch. 

Bump up the memory and then setup a new iocage for Emby.

For the moment I have Emby running on a windows box until I have the time to rebuild everything.

I think there is some underline performance issue where I've run out of resources. But I don't think its necessarily Emby as the cause.