Emby not adding second episode title for multi-episode files

WodzBorsuk

WodzBorsuk

As in the title. Multi-episodes get picked up and display as:

3-4. Episode-3-title

With only there first episode title. There is also no second episode's title added to the .nfo, although in <plot> there are both episodes descriptions divide with an empty line. I'm using TMDB scraper, and I've renamed my episodes using "Rename My TV Series 2" with TMDB api just fine (both titles got picked up). Anything I can try to make it work?

Edited by WodzBorsuk

Hello WodzBorsuk,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

WodzBorsuk

Folder structure and convention:
/TV_SHOWS/SHOW_NAME/Season 1/SHOW_NAME S01E01E02 episode_title, episode_title.mp4

generated .nfo is like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<episodedetails>
  <plot><![CDATA[Capn' Turbot's weather blimp is taken by Mayor Humdinger, who plans to use it to change the weather in Foggy Bottom.

Mr. Porter's stove explodes right before the chili cook-off!]]></plot>
  <outline />
  <lockdata>false</lockdata>
  <dateadded>2021-04-30 08:52:26</dateadded>
  <title>Pieski ratują sterowiec</title>
  <rating>10</rating>
  <year>2017</year>
  <tvdbid>5957839</tvdbid>
  <runtime>23</runtime>
  <actor>
    [...]
  </actor>
  <episode>1</episode>
  <episodenumberend>2</episodenumberend>
  <season>4</season>
  <aired>2017-02-06</aired>
  <fileinfo>
    <streamdetails>
      <video>
        <codec>hevc</codec>
        <micodec>hevc</micodec>
        <bitrate>3506236</bitrate>
        <width>1920</width>
        <height>1080</height>
        <aspect>16:9</aspect>
        <aspectratio>16:9</aspectratio>
        <framerate>30</framerate>
        <language>und</language>
        <scantype>progressive</scantype>
        <default>True</default>
        <forced>False</forced>
        <duration>23</duration>
        <durationinseconds>1393</durationinseconds>
      </video>
      <audio>
        <codec>aac</codec>
        <micodec>aac</micodec>
        <bitrate>125322</bitrate>
        <language>und</language>
        <scantype>progressive</scantype>
        <channels>2</channels>
        <samplingrate>44100</samplingrate>
        <default>True</default>
        <forced>False</forced>
      </audio>
    </streamdetails>
  </fileinfo>
</episodedetails>

Edited by WodzBorsuk

I would try one of the naming conventions whish are supported.. exactly. Due to the name or ANY difference in the naming it may not be registering correctly... I used to have this issue with Samurai Jack.. The DVD rips where not segmented into episodes.. so the convention had to be followed.. One may not work while another will in some cases especially if there is a mixed naming of files.. Might even just try a Hyphen ( - ) in between the episodes.. then rescan.. File monitoring of the Library may do this automatically for you...

General : Emby

FILE NAMING CONVENTION FOR MULTI-EPISODE FILE

Multi-episode files

The following conventions are supported:

• 01x02x03 episode name.ext
  • S01x02x03 episode name.ext
  • S01E02E03 episode name.ext
  • S01xE02xE03 episode name.ext
  • S01E02-E03 episode name.ext
  • S01E02-X03 episode name.ext
  • 01x02 01x03 episode name.ext
  • 01x02 - 01x03 episode name.ext
  • 01x02 - 01x05 episode name.ext (includes episodes 2,3,4 and 5)
  • 01x02 - x03 episode name.ext
  • 01x02 - x05 episode name.ext
  • S01x02.S01x03 episode name.ext
  • S01x02 - S01x03 episode name.ext
  • show name 01x02x03 episode name.ext
  • show name S01x02x03 episode name.ext
  • show name S01E02E03 episode name.ext
  • show name S01xE02xE03 episode name.ext
  • show name S01E02-E03 episode name.ext
  • show name S01E02-E05 episode name.ext
  • show name S01E02-X03 episode name.ext
  • show name S01E02-X05 episode name.ext
  • show name 01x02 01x03 episode name.ext
  • show name 01x02 - 01x03 episode name.ext
  • show name 01x02 - x03 episode name.ext
  • show name S01x02.S01x03 episode name.ext
  • show name S01x02 - S01x03 episode name.ext
Edited by Guest

WodzBorsuk

Is the [...] episode name.ext part important? I can't give up keeping both episodes titles in the filename cause of inconsistencies of cartoons episodes orders across different metadata providers (btw. are there any news regarding Emby supporting TMDB episodes groups? :))

WodzBorsuk

Ok So I've tried a bunch of different conventions, and the only change was that the ones doubling season number didn't work at all (file showed as single episode). The weird thing for me is that the files do register as multi episodes. I see two episodes numbers, two plots, I have both episode images to choose from when selecting "edit images". The only thing is not working is the second title not being added after a comma. And they did work before I switched the default provider to TMDB from TVDB. 

Happy2Play

I will have to do some testing but this may be specific to TMDB plugin.  But I am guessing this will be a issue as the api requirements are different per provider.

So you are saying the only issue in multi-episode is the episode titles, correct?

@Hxemby001you can see naming scheme is not the issue per the provided nfo file.

<episode>1</episode>
  <episodenumberend>2</episodenumberend>
  <season>4</season>

Edited by Happy2Play

Only making a recommendation for testing with what I can see of the files.. I never work with or use NFO... or XML for this.. I don't even know what code applies or how EMBY displays this information..

My Samurai Jack files displayed all of the embedded information I had, and received images for the thumbs online.. The covers were embedded. Worked out of the box this way.

Happy2Play

Pretty sure this is just a difference in the way we get info from providers as from TVDB we get the entire series and TMDB is per episode.

@Lukecan this be adjusted when using only TMDB as I only get info for first episode, but enabling TVDB shows both titles/overviews (and Refreshing episode with TVDB enabled shows both).

On 5/2/2021 at 3:49 PM, Happy2Play said:

Pretty sure this is just a difference in the way we get info from providers as from TVDB we get the entire series and TMDB is per episode.

@Lukecan this be adjusted when using only TMDB as I only get info for first episode, but enabling TVDB shows both titles/overviews (and Refreshing episode with TVDB enabled shows both).

Yes I guess we will have to update Tmdb to fetch the info for both so that it is named consistently with what you'd get from tvdb.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
WodzBorsuk

Thank you for the diagnose. Any chance it will be a quick fix? Anything I can do to help?

• 4 months later...
WodzBorsuk

Is there any update on this issue? I don't want to nag, but I wanted to know if this is something on the TODO list?

Guest worthington_j

I'm seeing this same issue. I'm only importing information from my .nfo that I've created with mediacompanion.  It used to work because that has always been my process for adding shows.

WodzBorsuk
On 10/2/2021 at 5:53 PM, Luke said:

Hi, do you have tvdb set as your highest priority series and episode fetcher?

If you meant TMDB (The Movie Database) then yes - it's highest on series and episodes

Edited by WodzBorsuk

WodzBorsuk

Then no, tvdb is on second place after TMDB. If I set priority to tvdb then i'll get both episode titles comma separated.

Edited by WodzBorsuk

Painkiller8818
11 minutes ago, WodzBorsuk said:

Then no, tvdb is on second place after TMDB. If I set priority to tvdb then i'll get both episode titles comma separated.

For TV Shows TVDB is the best choice, for movies its TMDB.

WodzBorsuk

Short answer: no, it's not.
Long answer:
Cartoons that I have are not in order that's on TVDB (neither aired nor DVD). TMDB has the "correct" one. Plus I have to translate most of them myself which I can't do  on tvdb since they have this insane policy about editing shows which would make my work 5x more consuming. Besides isn't tvdb becoming paid service soon?

Happy2Play

But there  is always the editing wars that get things locked and more rules made.  TMDB just hasn't had this issue yet as it was not initially built around TV and has a smaller user base for TV as it can be days or more behind TVDB on mainstream shows.

WodzBorsuk

Fine, you win, I'm using the wrong scraper 🙃.

Can we keep talking about the issue at hand i.e. TMDB scraper doesn't work properly and can/will it be fixed? 😉

Edited by WodzBorsuk

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, WodzBorsuk said:

Fine, you win, I'm using the wrong scraper 🙃.

Can we keep talking about the issue at hand i.e. TMDB scraper doesn't work properly and can/will it be fixed? 😉

Isn't that what this says?  But pretty sure it hasn't happened yet.  But this is easier with TVDB as we get the entire series in one request, TMDB will require multiple requests.

On 5/7/2021 at 8:29 PM, Luke said:
On 5/2/2021 at 12:49 PM, Happy2Play said:

Yes I guess we will have to update Tmdb to fetch the info for both so that it is named consistently with what you'd get from tvdb.

WodzBorsuk

Kind of, but I did a bump on this issue after 5 months just to get some status. Emby doesn't have any issue tracker (I know of) so I'm in the blind and wanted to know if its something on the todo list or should I start looking for alternatives. Maybe I need to start renaming files for TVDB, as it's the "we would need to rewrite whole scraper plugin and it's a lot of work we just don't have the man power to do" kind of issue.